Speaker Selector w/ 5.1 Support

pkisensee

pkisensee

Audiophyte
Goal: add a pair of outdoor speakers which will play the same music as the existing indoor 5.1 speakers, but at different volume levels.

Limitations: I currently have a JVC RXD412 w/ a 5.1 speaker setup. Unfortunately, the JVC doesn't have a B channel, nor does it support a Zone 2 option. I'd like to avoid having to purchase a new AVR.

A speaker selector (with volume control and impedance magnification) seems in order. However, I don't find any selectors that support a 6 channel (5.1) input/output plus a 2 channel (stereo) output.

Is it typical that one just connects the main L+R stereo outputs from the AVR to the speaker selector? What does that imply for the output of the other 5.1 speakers that won't be under the control of the selector? Thanks in advance.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
If you have your 5.1 already hooked up (HDMI) then you can do a few things to make this work.

What I would do if you want mirroring only when the room is on:
Connect the analog audio outputs from your source(s) to the A/V receiver on the matching inputs. (red/white RCA connections)

Page 7 of your manual shows the back of the unit and all the red/white RCA audio inputs.

http://resources.jvc.com/Resources/00/00/90/LVT1572-001A.pdf

Then, you can use the 'VCR RECORD OUT' or the 'DVD OUT' RCA connections to a amplifier/volume control setup.

You definitely will need another amplifier to run this as the JVC is really not designed, at all, for what you are trying to achieve...

You could pick up a cheap stereo receiver from Craigslist or something to do this if you wanted to. I sold my old Kenwood A/V receiver for about 20 bucks on Craigslist and it would be ideal for what you are trying to do. Kind of a 'big' product, but cheap, and will do what you want and has volume control built in. Otherwise, you will need a separate amplifier of some sort (lots out there) and a volume control of some sort. Once again, lots of choices for both amps and volume controls, depending on what you want to do.

Since you only have stereo in the second area, you should be using the stereo analog RCA connections to feed that second area. Almost all consumer A/V devices output digital surround and analog stereo at the same time.

pkisensee

pkisensee

Audiophyte
Let me make sure I understand you. Your suggestion is:

1) Connect the unused VCR "out" RCA jacks on the JVC receiver to another (inexpensive) receiver that accepts an RCA input.
2) Connect the stereo speaker outs from the inexpensive receiver to the outdoor speakers.
3) Control the volume of the outdoor speakers from the inexpensive receiver.

You believe this will work because the JVC outputs its signal to the 7.1 speakers and VCR out simultaneously. Sound correct? If so it's at least worth a try.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Let me make sure I understand you. Your suggestion is:

1) Connect the unused VCR "out" RCA jacks on the JVC receiver to another (inexpensive) receiver that accepts an RCA input.
2) Connect the stereo speaker outs from the inexpensive receiver to the outdoor speakers.
3) Control the volume of the outdoor speakers from the inexpensive receiver.

You believe this will work because the JVC outputs its signal to the 7.1 speakers and VCR out simultaneously. Sound correct? If so it's at least worth a try.
It may, or may NOT do an internal digital to analog conversion for the RCA outputs. If it does not, then you will need to hook the analog outputs from your source(s) to the JVC first (or directly to the other receiver).

What other sources are you using for audio (make/model)?

pkisensee

pkisensee

Audiophyte
The input I care most about is USB -- most of my listening is done from playlists accessed via a PC. FM radio would be the next highest priority, but that's much lower on the stack.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
The input I care most about is USB -- most of my listening is done from playlists accessed via a PC. FM radio would be the next highest priority, but that's much lower on the stack.
USB is most definitely a digital input. Don't count on it being output to another amplifer.

FM is analog and should be fine.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Your PC likely also outputs the audio from the analog sound card in the back of the PC as well as USB in case the receiver does not convert USB to analog for output from the RCA jacks on the back.

Non-traditional source w/non-traditional connection = good luck.

There are solutions, but without an amp and some speakers you aren't anywhere yet. Hit up your local Craigslist to see if there is a cheap stereo receiver out there and just buy it. Most will serve you just fine regardless of their age as long as they work.

pkisensee

pkisensee

Audiophyte
Let's suppose I simplify my goal to: play music to either my 5.1 indoor speakers or stereo outdoor speakers.

Then it seems like I simply need a switch box that supports the following.
Input: 5.1 from my existing AVR
Output: 5.1 (switch setting A) or stereo (switch setting B)

Does such a switch exist in the wild? Or would I have to make it myself?

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
You are overthinking this... Why not just use the 1/8" stereo connector that is standard on every PC in the world and connect it to a second receiver/amp/volume control?

That is by far the easiest solution if you just want your PC audio avaialble to a second location. Your PC already has the outputs you need to connect this properly.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis