Speaker selector muting right channel problem.

V

vangoor

Audiophyte
Hi All,

I'm hoping that the following problem will be put down to my ignorance and that there is an easy fix that I just overlooked.

I purchased a home with a whole-house speaker system built in. It has six zones. The previous owner said he used SpeakerCraft, so I proceeded to purchase a SpeakerCraft S8 Speaker Selector and hooked it up to my AVR (Sony STR-K850P). Since I don't know the impedance of the speakers, I've got the protection switch on the selector set to "ON". Each of the zones has a separate volume control in the room.

The problem: Good sound form the left speaker in each room, virtually nothing from the right speaker. I've checked my wiring multiple times, that all seems in order. I've also connected my AVR to just one set of speakers, and all's well in that scenario. I've also, as an experiment, fed just the left output from my AVR to both left and right inputs of the selector, but that still leaves the right channels virtually inaudible.

Is there a magic switch I'm overlooking?

Thanks to anyone for you help!

Nick

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I don't see ANY adjustments on that selector besides volume. That means it is either a bad connector (either the connector or the socket, possibly the input if all channels) or there's something bad inside since you've already tried hooking up the left to the right side. Does it happen on ALL of the right channels or only one output?

V

vangoor

Audiophyte
Thanks for your response! Yes, it happens on all outputs. I think it's unlikely it's the selector, since I happen to have two of them, and it happens on both. I'm rather baffled...

Nick

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Is the wiring that goes to them accessible then? As in it isn't inside the wall?

Is this on the main outputs or the "b" or zone 2 outputs? Do you have any 2ch amps available?

I looked that receiver up, it probably isn't sufficient to handle a distributed system like this, though that still does not answer why only one side has the issue. For something like this, you need something that is stable into low impedance even if the speaker selector is an impedance matching one.

Does it work if you have only one speaker output connected to one pair of speakers? You've checked your wiring, but what about the existing wiring to the speakers from this switch ?

Last edited:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis