Ok, I have narrowed my search down to..

PSB Image B15 and Image C60 center.
http://www.psbspeakers.com/product.php?pId=16&sId=3
http://www.psbspeakers.com/product.php?pId=17&sId=3

or

Epos ELS-3 and ELS3C center.
http://www.epos-acoustics.com/products.asp?logging=113&lookup=els3
http://www.epos-acoustics.com/products.asp?logging=119&lookup=els3c

I have price quotes making both sets about the same...I am leaning more towards the PSB Image's, as the center appears to be far superior. Any opinions?

(fyi , as an aside - I was told today that PSB Alpha B line is going to be replaced/updated in two months...)

have you heard them play yet? Could you do a side by side compariosn? Did you take notes of what you liked/disliked of each speaker

L

LT4play

Enthusiast
3db said:
have you heard them play yet? Could you do a side by side compariosn? Did you take notes of what you liked/disliked of each speaker
Having trouble locating a dealer to hear the Epos at.. Have a dealer demo of the PSB scheduled for Sunday night.. Thinking of abandoning the Epos demo depending on how the PSBs sound, since I can't seem to find them, and not really willing to buy a speaker I haven't heard...

L

LT4play

Enthusiast
ok, I submit to you all a revised request.

I had previously set a budget of $300/pair, but by the time I found a speakers I really liked (PSB Image B15; three pairs * $249) and a center channel I really liked (PSB Image C60; $365), I was to almost $1200 one sale...

With a baby on the way, that is probably too much for me to spend right now (call me cheap :eek: )

Any recommendations for speakers in the neighborhood of $200/pair or less, that is not an internet only vendor. (i.e., The wife doesn't want me ordering SVS which I haven't heard..)

J

johsti

Audioholic
I don't think you should rule out internet direct vendors.

For example, you could order one pair of SVS, or ascends, or whatever other speakers you're considering. Then you can audition them in your home and take advantage of their return policies. If you don't like what you hear, then send them back. Yeah, you'll lose a few bucks shipping the speakers back, but that will give you peace of mind that you are getting the best speaker for your needs and budget. Think of it this way, you can pay for shipping, or for gasoline so you can drive around to different stores to audition speakers. It's always better to audition speakers in your home.

Also, IMHO 7.1 is a waste of space and money. There are no 7.1 movies, and music sounds better in stereo (unless it's multichannel-- sacd and dvd-a is still only 5.1). Focus on a good 5.1 setup, and then add two more speakers later if you feel that you are missing something. That's just my opinion, especially since you're working with a budget.

BTW, I'm not sure if you've completely ruled out the Bic's, but I did send my BIC crossovers off to Ed Frias last week. I should have them back in a couple of days, and I'll post a mini review. In their stock form they are an excellent all around value for their online price (in fact, I don't think you could do any better for $120/pair for DV62si or $200/pair for the DV62CLRS). I'm anxious to see what the XO mod does.

R

ragged

Senior Audioholic
http://www.acousticsounddesign.com/core/view_BigProduct.cfm?pid=1061&sc=32

Best value for money around IMO. The ht-63'S would be a bit strange to sub as fronts, shooting sound in 3 directions, so if wanted sub them for fronts, I'm not sure how that would work. I've read here where members have sent the crossovers to Ed Frias? to modify and make the speakers even better. Thats what I want to buy, plus 2 extra ht-63's to make a 7.1 surround system. I think I would not buy the acoustech sub and get an svs instead. Haven't heard it, but hey, all these people here can't be wrong about it. besides, the svs subs look like they are a beast.

Acoustech 7.1 package all for a little over 1100 including shipping. Can't beat that, especially if you send xovers to Ed, from what I read he works magic.

If anyone has the contact info for Ed I would really appreciate you posting it here.Tnx.

R

ragged

Senior Audioholic
Tnx, I can only ask if he would consider it, maybe. Those phase Tech teatro's at 112 each are a pretty good deal too. 5 for under 600, plus 450 for svs 10 inch sub seems like a great 7.1 system too. Are they being discontinued? Anyone think that is a better system than the the acoustechs?

Last edited:
L

LT4play

Enthusiast
I am starting to really lean towards the SBS system.. I previously walked away because it was an internet company, but I am only finding good things about them..

Any impressions about them recently that anyone has gained other than good things?

J

johsti

Audioholic
I've never heard the SVS speakers, but I have an SVS sub. If the speakers are anything like their subs, then you can't go wrong. The SVS speakers are sealed, so they would be perfect for wall mounting and the PB-10 is an excellent sub. I would definitely give them a shot. Good luck.

A

AudioArcher

Audioholic
Infinity

I'd check out the Infinity Primus 150s if you can find them somewhere. I think they run around $180 a pair. Supprisingly lively speaker. Pretty good soundstage for such a small speaker. Tight midrange and the upper bass has good resolution. Put them on some stands. You'll want a sub later on though to grab those mid and bottom lows. I think Crutchfield for one carries them. Probably quite a few others.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Have you tried PSB's alpha series

LT4play said:
ok, I submit to you all a revised request.

I had previously set a budget of $300/pair, but by the time I found a speakers I really liked (PSB Image B15; three pairs * $249) and a center channel I really liked (PSB Image C60; $365), I was to almost $1200 one sale...

With a baby on the way, that is probably too much for me to spend right now (call me cheap :eek: )

Any recommendations for speakers in the neighborhood of $200/pair or less, that is not an internet only vendor. (i.e., The wife doesn't want me ordering SVS which I haven't heard..)
I understand the fianancing isssues. I'm on a 2 year saving stint to replace my turntable and I'm not going to cheap out. I'm going to save to get what I want. I'm also in the market of a new receiver.. that one will be a very hard sell to the wife as she thinks I spent too much already.

You have a few options.
a.) You could move down to PSB's alpha series to better fit your budget
b.) Buy two pairs of the B15s and save up a year later for the center channel. Remember Rome wasn't built over night and you should talke your time to buy something that pleases you without feeling that you compromised too much.
c.) Buy 1 pair of B15s and the center channel and put off the purchase of the 2nd pair. Option B is a better choice.

L

LT4play

Enthusiast
3db said:
b.) Buy two pairs of the B15s and save up a year later for the center channel. Remember Rome wasn't built over night and you should talke your time to buy something that pleases you without feeling that you compromised too much.
c.) Buy 1 pair of B15s and the center channel and put off the purchase of the 2nd pair. Option B is a better choice.
Option B is a better choice.
Do you really thing option B is better than C? My primary usage is surround sound, so wouldn't I be better off getting the center and less B15s for now?

jcPanny

jcPanny

Audioholic Ninja
Axiom Bookshelf speakers

The Axiom M2i's retail for $280 / pair shipped. You can get an extra 10% off on the outlet page so they are $250 / pair.
http://www.axiomaudio.com/factoryoutlet.html

Also, the new X-LS speakers from AV123.com look gorgeous. If they sound half as good as they look, they will be a great value at $200/pair. They will be out in march.
http://www.av123.com/products_product.php?section=speakers&product=82.1

These are internet direct, but both have great trial and retun policies and you couldn't go wrong with eather choice.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Yes I do and here is why

LT4play said:
Do you really thing option B is better than C? My primary usage is surround sound, so wouldn't I be better off getting the center and less B15s for now?
The b15s imaging is phenomenal so you would get a phantom center channel thru that alone. Is it as good as a dedicated center channel? No its not . But at least you get something approximating a center channel (Ie like listening too stereo ) and that way you get to have the surround sound from the rear speakers.

R

ragged

Senior Audioholic
Well, got an email from Ed Frias. No go on the Acoustech mod. While I'm sure the Bic America mods do create an awesome sound, especially for the price, but man those Bic America speakers ain't winning any beauty contests:D. No downplay on Ed, he does an awesome job on the sound, but Bic, they need major help in the looks department.

Those Athena F2's, they have any credibility?

Last edited:
3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
have you narrowed down your choices yet?

LT4play said:

let us know. Its cool to see another guy get hooked into this obsession *G*

L

LT4play

Enthusiast
3db said:
let us know. Its cool to see another guy get hooked into this obsession *G*
Thanks....I'm going to listen to the B15s on friday.

T

thoward4444

Audioholic Intern
I have a 5.1 Aperion setup and have been very happy with it. Although the Aperion sub sounds great, i kinda wish i had gotten an SVS sub based on the reviews from this site. The new Aperions have a better crossover technology then the ones i have, but my RX-v2600 drives them real nice anyhow. For the money, i think they are a great buy.

522 LR (main)
522 VAC (center)
422 LR (surrounds)
S12 (subwoofer)

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis