Speaker Recommendation ~$200

K

kaducii

Enthusiast
Hi everyone,
I was just in the receiver section and figured out that I want a Yamaha 663, so now on to the speakers. :D

My first question is whether the Yamaha 663 amp will fry the Klipsch Promedia Ultra 5.1 satellites that I will start off with. I'm on a small budget so I'd like to upgrade things bit by bit.

So I figure I would start with the front L/R ones since surround isn't too important for me, I play games and watch movies but I really want to have my best experience be music listening. So for about a $200 budget I'd like to get a pair of good speakers, especially ones that can reproduce good classical music, so good highs and mids. I was thinking about either the PSB Alpha B1 which I've seen on sale for $200 or the Infinity Primus 162 which are at around $100, anyone have any other recommendations or simply know of a must have set at this point range?

After the front pairs I was going to add a sub, reading all the posts it seems that the daytona 10" is a good starter?

And after that... we'll take it slow =)

R

rded

Audioholic
Hi everyone,
I was just in the receiver section and figured out that I want a Yamaha 663, so now on to the speakers. :D

My first question is whether the Yamaha 663 amp will fry the Klipsch Promedia Ultra 5.1 satellites that I will start off with. I'm on a small budget so I'd like to upgrade things bit by bit.

So I figure I would start with the front L/R ones since surround isn't too important for me, I play games and watch movies but I really want to have my best experience be music listening. So for about a $200 budget I'd like to get a pair of good speakers, especially ones that can reproduce good classical music, so good highs and mids. I was thinking about either the PSB Alpha B1 which I've seen on sale for $200 or the Infinity Primus 162 which are at around $100, anyone have any other recommendations or simply know of a must have set at this point range?

After the front pairs I was going to add a sub, reading all the posts it seems that the daytona 10" is a good starter?

And after that... we'll take it slow =)

I am trying to help you out but with that budget, its really hard to get good quality speakers. I would check out www.apreionaudio.com. Unfortunately their start up speaker is priced at $130US. So 2 of them would cost you $260- free shipping. I know its $60 more than you wanna spend but you won't be disapointed:cool:

Also check out Axiom speakers

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
So for about a $200 budget I'd like to get a pair of good speakers, especially ones that can reproduce good classical music, so good highs and mids. =)
Ascend Acoustic
HTM-200 SE
http://www.ascendacoustics.com/pages/products/speakers/htm200/htm200.html

Elemental Designs
A6 - 5T5 - MTM
http://www.edesignaudio.com/product_info.php?cPath=2_42&products_id=95

Open Box Specials
http://av123.com/component/page,shop.browse/category_id,16/option,com_virtuemart/Itemid,130/

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
Energy. Hands down on this one. Back me up here guys, this is a good deal.

http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=ENC200

$199.99 pair. Free shipping over $199.95

6.5", with 1" tweets.

Recommended Amplifier Power: up to 125 watts
Nominal Impedence: 8 ohms; Minimum Impedance: 4 ohms
Frequency Response: 48 Hz-20 kHz +/- 3 dB
Useable Bass Response (-10 db Anechoic): 43 Hz
Sensitivity: anechoic 88 dB; 2 speakers in a typical room 91 dB
Crossover Point: 2.6 kHz
Overall Dimensions: 13.75" tall, 8" wide, 10.5" deep
Weight: 13.2 lbs

Last edited:
Midcow2

Midcow2

Banned
Second on Cambridge Audio S30 recommendation

These are simply stunning for the price:http://www.wildwestelectronics.net/cambridge-audio-s30-speaker.html
In fact, if I had it to do over again, I would have four of these and a sub in my HT instead of my big Def Techs.
I second Joe Schmoe's recommendation on the Cambridge Audio S30s, I just installed a pair in my office at work; excellent sound from a small very well constructed, very high quality bookshelf speaker. You can also bi-amp if you so desire.

For $219/pair total (no shipping , no tax) these speakears are a bargain for what you get.

Good Luck!

MidCow2

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I was going to mention the S30s also, but I haven't actually heard them :)

bandphan

bandphan

Banned
Im gonna have to say the 2030p from behringer, that chris reccomends. At a 130 per pair, they are tuff to beat. Excellent off axis response, and measure fairly flat.

Last edited:
Gaigebacca

Gaigebacca

Audioholic
If you live near a Fry's Electronics... every once in a while (it seems about every month or two...) you can get the Infinity Primus 362's on sale for $99 apiece... they are usually $299. I bought these myself with an additional $5 5 year no questions asked replacement plan from Fry's for right around $230 a pair (with the warranty). I love them :). These are floorstanders though, I dont think you specified if you were looking for bookshelves or anything in the $200 range, but there is one option for some towers if you want.

D

Davidt1

Full Audioholic
Do this kind of threads actually help, or add more confusion? Usually a bunch of speakers get recommended by a bunch of different people, some actually own the speakers they recommend; others recommend something they have heard about; others recommend something they would like to own but don't have; others recommend something just for post counts. What we need is a shoot-out of the speakers frequently recommended.

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
Do this kind of threads actually help, or add more confusion? Usually a bunch of speakers get recommended by a bunch of different people, some actually own the speakers they recommend; others recommend something they have heard about; others recommend something they would like to own but don't have; others recommend somethings just for post counts. What we need is a shoot-out of the speakers frequently recommended.
These threads do confuse new members. They also give suggestions for the new member to research.

There are threads all around the audio forums of speaker shootouts.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Energy. Hands down on this one. Back me up here guys, this is a good deal.

http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=ENC200

$199.99 pair. Free shipping over $199.95

6.5", with 1" tweets.

Recommended Amplifier Power: up to 125 watts
Nominal Impedence: 8 ohms; Minimum Impedance: 4 ohms
Frequency Response: 48 Hz-20 kHz +/- 3 dB
Useable Bass Response (-10 db Anechoic): 43 Hz
Sensitivity: anechoic 88 dB; 2 speakers in a typical room 91 dB
Crossover Point: 2.6 kHz
Overall Dimensions: 13.75" tall, 8" wide, 10.5" deep
Weight: 13.2 lbs
That does look like a really good deal. Unfortunately Energy will no longer carry products like this (since they got turn twist upside down by Klipsch). Nab em quick if it's in the consideration.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
That does look like a really good deal. Unfortunately Energy will no longer carry products like this (since they got turn twist upside down by Klipsch). Nab em quick if it's in the consideration.
Good point. I was hoping that Kliptsch will leave them well enough alone and let people who know speakers not mess with them. :(

J

Joe Schmoe

Audioholic Ninja
Good point. I was hoping that Kliptsch will leave them well enough alone and let people who know speakers not mess with them. :(
Athena made great bang/buck speakers until Klipsch shut them down!:mad:

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
others recommend something just for post counts.
Someone asked for recommendations, we give them. It is up to the OP to research from there. Many times, someone knows about a current deal, and they are actually able to help the OP. If you took the time to research the deals that were posted, you would know that.

Oh boy, I get another post count. Hopefully I can make-up for those seven months I missed.:rolleyes:

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis