Speaker/Receiver Power Ratings?

D

David Faulkner

Enthusiast
My question is about speaker power recommendations. I have had my eye on 4 of the Klipsch R-28F for quite some time now, I am about ready to finally make the purchase (after saving for a year now). The problem I'm just now realizing is that the continuous power recommendation for the speakers are 150W per ch at 8 OHM. My Yamaha RX-V379BL only puts out 75W per ch at 8 OHM. I called Klipsch and they stated I will not get the full potential out of the speakers and recommend I downgrade to the R-26F's or buy a receiver that outputs at least 130w @8 OHM. The problem is that I cannot seem to find a receiver under $1,000 that is capable of this. Needless to say I am very disappointed and I was wondering if you really think the speakers would not perform very well on my current receiver... or could you recommend a work around ect.?

Thanks!

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
If you do a search, this has been covered about a billion times and the answer is ALWAYS the same. That "continuous" power rating is completely false and literally idiotic. Note that it says power handling not required. That translates into the MAXIMUM input power they can handle before they fry. They can't know what kind of room they'll go in or how you will use them, so there is no way to say how much power would be needed for a given situation, period. Klipsch is FOS in their response and they know it and this is the second time someone has asked this exact question.

While it is true they may use 100+ watts during PEAKS, they almost certainly are using 5-10W during normal listening. Unless it sounds muddy or unclear to you, then you do not need more power than what you have. If you DO hear that, then perhaps only a modest upgrade in your price range will be sufficient to make most people deaf. If you actually fed those speakers 150W continuous, your ears would be bleeding.

My workaround? Don't talk to Klipsch.

Last edited:
D

David Faulkner

Enthusiast
If you do a search, this has been covered about a billion times and the answer is ALWAYS the same. That "continuous" power rating is completely false and literally idiotic. Note that it says power handling not required. That translates into the MAXIMUM input power they can handle before they fry. They can't know what kind of room they'll go in or how you will use them, so there is no way to say how much power would be needed for a given situation, period. Klipsch is FOS in their response and they know it and this is the second time someone has asked this exact question.

While it is true they may use 100+ watts during PEAKS, they almost certainly are using 5-10W during normal listening. Unless it sounds muddy or unclear to you, then you do not need more power than what you have. If you DO hear that, then perhaps only a modest upgrade in your price range will be sufficient to make most people deaf. If you actually fed those speakers 150W continuous, your ears would be bleeding.

My workaround? Don't talk to Klipsch.
So you think its a non issue and to stop worrying about it? I should be fine?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Without knowing more details about your spl needs and distances from speakers to listening positions, hard to even have any idea. All a doubling of amp power gets you is a mere 3dB in spl. If you are using a sub even less power is required of your avr's amp....

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis