Speaker quality vs price points

P

petabread

Audiophyte
At what price points does sound quality show a significant improvement? For example, hometheater.com gave both the Pioneer BS22 and the KEF R300 a "5 star performance" rating, yet I find it hard to believe that these two speakers would be even in the same ball park. I realize the BS22 has been highly praised, but I was wondering if going to a higher price bracket, say $500/pair for bookshelf speakers, would lead to a noticable increase in sound quality?

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
I would like to think price doesnt matter as much as your ears, if you like the pioneers over a $5000 set of focals than even if you had the budget for the focals, purchasing them over the pioneers makes you a fool..

I like the sound of a certain speaker and when I find it I pay what they are asking unless the sound doesnt warrant the cost, like I like some of the B&W line but wont be spending $10K for a speaker anytime soon so wont own them.... I listen to my ears, then my wallet and common sence....

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
At what price points does sound quality show a significant improvement? For example, hometheater.com gave both the Pioneer BS22 and the KEF R300 a "5 star performance" rating, yet I find it hard to believe that these two speakers would be even in the same ball park. I realize the BS22 has been highly praised, but I was wondering if going to a higher price bracket, say $500/pair for bookshelf speakers, would lead to a noticable increase in sound quality?
I guess when they gave them both 5 star, they might have factored in the price difference (bang for buck). May be you should email them about this.

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
I guess when they gave them both 5 star, they might have factored in the price difference (bang for buck). May be you should email them about this.
Makes perfect sense to me. If price wasn't factored in, would high value entry level bookshelves be given only 1 star? It only makes sense to me that price is factored in. For instance, should a Toyota Corolla only be given 1.5 star, because there are Rolls Royces and other exotics, let alone the 80K cars, 50K cars, and 30K cars? I think not.

Still, it's a good question. You know the Pios get SO MUCH PRAISE, that I was half expecting them to be better than anything. Then, and I don't even remember who said it, but someone was thinking that Ascend 170SE should be a better speaker. I really like the 170SE, and even though I'd still personally want even better for my main rig(s), it was almost surprising to hear someone say that the Pios were not necessarily better. But it shouldn't be surprising because there is definitely a price delta. Sometimes there is just a lot of hype/chatter/praise/etc. Great values are great values, no doubt, but money will get you a better speaker, in the hands of the same and/or skilled designer. I'm sure AJ's TADs are still a lot better than the BS22. They both can't receive 5 stars can they, if price was NOT factored in?

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
It looks to me, that you may still be looking for speakers.

The Pioneer speakers are solid - however I do have more expensive speakers, that out-perform them.
The Pioneer speakers can hold their own against some more expensive name brand speakers. However
there comes a point, when the more expensive speakers tend to/will stand out, with their overall better
resolution and presentation.

P

petabread

Audiophyte
I would think they rate it relative to price, but they also give a "value" rating, so it's not exactly clear.

And yes I am still looking for speakers. My budget is somewhat flexible, but it's hard to determine what's truly worth spending more. In the process of listening to as many different speakers as I can, both in home and in stores, so hopefully I'll have a better idea soon.

B

Boerd

Full Audioholic
At this price, one of the things I'd look for are drivers with forged frame.
Of course at any price point you find garbage and good value.
For 500$ look at professional (active) monitors (KRK, BEhringer, M-Audio, JBL, etc).
There are quite a few active monitors for 1k$ (Dynaudio comes to mind) that are good.
If you can, try finding measurements. They say a lot.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis