D

Dargent0628

Junior Audioholic
So the new house is lovely but it's an old chicago frame with small rooms. The living room is my only option for my av setup and it's only 12 x 11 x 8. I'd recently scored a pair of Boston Acoustics T1000s and was looking forward to recapping them. I'm looking for opinions as to whether these speakers are simply too large for this room. I have found that they don't really wake up until I reach -30dBm or so and I'm wondering if the small room is constricting the sound dispersion of the rather large drivers? I'm not getting much detail and clarity. I can go back to using my PSB B5s as fronts, or treat myself to a new pair of monitors. The Ascends are intriguing. Thanks for the input.

DukeL

DukeL

Audioholic Intern
I know nothing useful about those particular speakers except that they are pretty big, and if they were designed to fill a big room, then they may well have too much bass and lower midrange for a small room, where they'll be seeing more boundary reinforcement. If the speakers are ported, try plugging the port(s). If it's a sealed box and you're not worried about resale value, you might install a Scan-speak "aperiodic vent", available from Madisound.

Something else you get in a small room is, the reflections start arriving earlier because of the shorter path lengths. My understanding is that relatively early-arrival reflections are more likely to be perceived as coloration, so their spectral content is particularly important to get right. Eyeballing a picture of the speakers, it's not obvious to me that that was a high priority.

I assume you don't have an obvious room problem like slap-echo. If you opt for room treatment, go to a professional. I used to offer up room treatment advice but now almost never do, because the problem really has to be properly diagnosed before the right kinds of treatment, in the right places, and in the right amounts, can be recommended. Room treatment is like crossover design: Fairly easy to do, but fairly hard to do really well.

You might try listening nearfield, with the speakers almost out in the middle of the room, and your ears within four feet of the tweeters if possible. This will reduce the boundary reinforcement and minimize the relative contribution of the reflected sound.

Regarding the speakers not "waking up" until they are playing fairly loud, that may be a function of the drivers having differing thermal behavior. It's a complex and controversial subject, but the symptoms often are, the speaker sounds just right at some medium-high volume level, but progressively duller at lower volume, and correspondingly brighter at higher volume. This could also be caused by other things, but if that's the pattern you're experiencing, changing speakers may be your best bet.

D

Dargent0628

Junior Audioholic
I know nothing useful about those particular speakers except that they are pretty big, and if they were designed to fill a big room, then they may well have too much bass and lower midrange for a small room, where they'll be seeing more boundary reinforcement. If the speakers are ported, try plugging the port(s). If it's a sealed box and you're not worried about resale value, you might install a Scan-speak "aperiodic vent", available from Madisound.

Something else you get in a small room is, the reflections start arriving earlier because of the shorter path lengths. My understanding is that relatively early-arrival reflections are more likely to be perceived as coloration, so their spectral content is particularly important to get right. Eyeballing a picture of the speakers, it's not obvious to me that that was a high priority.

I assume you don't have an obvious room problem like slap-echo. If you opt for room treatment, go to a professional. I used to offer up room treatment advice but now almost never do, because the problem really has to be properly diagnosed before the right kinds of treatment, in the right places, and in the right amounts, can be recommended. Room treatment is like crossover design: Fairly easy to do, but fairly hard to do really well.

You might try listening nearfield, with the speakers almost out in the middle of the room, and your ears within four feet of the tweeters if possible. This will reduce the boundary reinforcement and minimize the relative contribution of the reflected sound.

Regarding the speakers not "waking up" until they are playing fairly loud, that may be a function of the drivers having differing thermal behavior. It's a complex and controversial subject, but the symptoms often are, the speaker sounds just right at some medium-high volume level, but progressively duller at lower volume, and correspondingly brighter at higher volume. This could also be caused by other things, but if that's the pattern you're experiencing, changing speakers may be your best bet.
Thanks for some solid insights! When all is said and done I think the speakers are just too much for this little room.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis