Speaker opinions/recommendation

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Of course, I'm curious: take the case of the Epik Empire and the LFM-1EX. From 50Hz on up, the Empire has a big output advantage. Epik's issues aside, would you qualify the Empire as being significantly better than the LFM?
Everything else being equal, yes, a sub with more output above 50 hz is going to be better. If you can get it, there is no reason not to have it. For starters, if you have dips above 50 hz, you have more room to EQ the response down to flat without losing output for the entire subwoofer frequency range. Secondly, there is nothing wrong with having extra headroom in a certain range; it may not play flat when brought to its limits, but the extra dynamics in that range will still be truer to the dynamics of the recording than a sub that just can not cross that output line at any frequency. Third, there is a lot more bass material above 50 hz than below in most movie and music recordings, so if you can have extra headroom there, that is the region where you want it.

E

emsti

Enthusiast
So what is the benefit of a flat response - will that be closer to the sound encoded/recorded?

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
So what is the benefit of a flat response - will that be closer to the sound encoded/recorded?
Yes, it means everything will be played back as evenly as it was recorded, so there isn't more or less bass or treble or any other frequency in playback than there was in the recording.

E

emsti

Enthusiast
"Different tonal changes" is an apt description.

Yes re-run Audyssey so the SPL levels of the speakers will be matched.
I tried the Infinity 163 in the center position - the sounds were definitely brighter, and I found the Pioneer center gave deeper bass output. Though I'm wondering if its a little unfair to compare the bass output from a 163 to the Pioneer center (the dedicated center from Infinity is the 251 or 351 - which I have not seen in a store yet).

Anyways there was an amazing deal on the Pioneer bookshelves at Frys - 69/pair. Frys were generous enough to give me store credit for the 163s and now I've got a Pioneer surround sound system - other than the sub. I have to say I don't feel like I'm missing much by replacing the bigger 163s with the Pioneer BS22s.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis