Speaker level to line-level converter

F

fightingfish

Enthusiast
Here's my dilema, I have an Onkyo receiver with no pre-amp outs. I would like to get an external amp to power my front l/r speakers. And I don't want to get a new receiver.:rolleyes:

Searching the internet I have found a few options. One option seems to run my speaker outs into a line-level converter made for car stereo systems. http://cws4.crutchfield.com/S-0UNKVaxQfe0/App/Product/Item/Main.aspx?g=721&tab=detailed_info&i=142SLC4

I also found a more expensive converter. http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&Partnumber=302-307

Another option would be to make my own converter. Does anyone have an opinion of what would work best?

Last edited:
M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Yeah.

Unless you know what to do, just buy the converter and be done with it.

davidtwotrees

davidtwotrees

Audioholic General
Well, sounds like a lot of work to me. Are you married to that receiver?! The sixty bucks for a line level convertor should be put to a used receiver with pre outs. You can get used 5.1 receivers on ebay that are kick butt and a few years old for $100 delivered with plenty of pre outs.

F

fightingfish

Enthusiast
I am kinda married to my receiver. I also don't want to spend $60 on a converter. Somebody online did this:
I used a 10k Ohm resistor in series with a 470 Ohm resistor for a 20:1 attenuation. The speaker out is bridged by the series resistance (10k Ohm to +ve) and the RCA out is taken across the 470 Ohm resistor (ground to -ve).

The 'point' is to allow a high quality 2ch system to coexist with a cheap HT receiver.

I'm not exactly sure what that all means, but I would be willing to diy a converter. I'm not afraid to learn, especially if it produces the desired result for little $$.

jcPanny

jcPanny

Audioholic Ninja
Resistor network

I wouldn't plan on using the 10 cent 1/4 watt radio shack resistors on a "hiqh quality 2 channel system". High quality components would likely approach $30-40. Also, if you are playing an analog 2 channel source, the "Tape/Record" line level output is effectively the same as a L/R pre-amp out. Some newer receivers also have a zone 2 line out that could provide the same function.

skizzerflake

skizzerflake

Audioholic Field Marshall
Here's my dilema, I have an Onkyo receiver with no pre-amp outs. I would like to get an external amp to power my front l/r speakers. And I don't want to get a new receiver.:rolleyes:

Searching the internet I have found a few options. One option seems to run my speaker outs into a line-level converter made for car stereo systems. http://cws4.crutchfield.com/S-0UNKVaxQfe0/App/Product/Item/Main.aspx?g=721&tab=detailed_info&i=142SLC4
Does the receiver have an output for a tape unit or equalizer? If yes, that will do.

F

fightingfish

Enthusiast
The receiver does have L/R tape outs. If I amped my front L/R speakers from these outs, would they still work when playing multi-channel audio, ie: dolby, dts, ect?

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
The receiver does have L/R tape outs. If I amped my front L/R speakers from these outs, would they still work when playing multi-channel audio, ie: dolby, dts, ect?
No, if you are using a digital connection from a dvd player to the receiver. The reciever will not send digital audio out any of the analog audio outs (or vice versa).

If you connect a DVD player to the analog inputs (and set the player to PCM) then you'd get a 2 channel mixed down version but they would be sent out to the tape outs. You could use PLII to convert the 2 channels to surround, but only the front channels would be sent out the tape outs.

F

fightingfish

Enthusiast
Thanks for all the advice.

Somebody on htguide forums is going to send me a schematic for a diy speaker level to line level converter. I guess this basically is attentuating the signal, ie: reducing amplitude and intensity of the signal.

I'm looking a little further down the upgrade line. I'm thinking of getting an Onkyo SR705 receiver with two Onkyo M-282 amps. The m-282 is a 2 channel amp putting out 100 watts each channel.

Would I be able to use each amp to individually bi-amp a speaker. Say run my left speaker from pre-amp out into a m-282 L in. Then on the amp L out to R in. Then run L speaker out to top binding posts, and R speaker outs to bottom binding posts? (I'm using Polk Rti8's)

E

Eworld

Audiophyte
Wow, Dejavu.

I had the same issue with my Onkyo, I have since upgraded to Denon w/preouts...but if you're interested take a look here: http://madison.craigslist.org/ele/444329288.html.

The two most frequently used (guessing) bi-amp set ups are Horizontal and Vertical. Horizontal consists of using one channel to run mid/low ends and one channel for the Highs. Vertical consists of using one amp per speaker and the info suggests that it's usually best to have identical amps for each channel. I personally never found any specific "must connect this way for vertical biamping" diagrams; but for continuity's sake I just make sure each channel is connected in the same way.

It should be no problem to what you describe with the equipment your talking about.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis