Speaker comparison help

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Stopped in at an audio store near me today to audition some speakers to see where I'm heading. Currently I'm leaning towards the philharmonic 3s, but need to figure out how to audition them. I love that they are custom and that I can pick this and that, and I've read quite a few reviews that all rave about them.

Anywho, I auditioned some Kef Q900s, B&W 683s, and some Totem Sttaf/Hawks. I tried a variety of music and was pleased with them all, granted there were a few things I didn't like about each speaker and didn't spend as long as I would have liked, but long enough to get a decent impression of all three. The good thing was that they were all lined up next to each other so I could get an A/B/C comparison and I plan on going back to the store to give it another go, as well as try out a few other brands I've had my eye on.

I guess my real question is, can anyone tell me how the Phils sound in comparison to what I've tried? I know this would be all opinion based, more or less, and yes yes I can already hear everyone lecturing me that I must hear for myself :D I just want to have a little reassurance that the possibility of me driving somewhere 10 hours round trip will be worth it to audition the Phils.

I should also probably mention that at least some part of my discontent with aspects of the aforementioned speakers was that just for the heck of it I had the sales guy hook up the B&W 804 diamonds. They were hooked up to a McIntosh pre-amp and a beast of a Mc amp and those were some sweet sounding speakers. HO-HUM, someday when the stars align.....:p

GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja
I guess my real question is, can anyone tell me how the Phils sound in comparison to what I've tried?
Probably tonally similar to the KEFs, but with a more-relaxed-yet-more-detailed top end (none of the harshness that the Q900s probably have in the treble), and a wider and deeper soundstage, and more overall resolution. Oh, and a very articulate, but not "oozy" bass.

Overall i'd expect them to make the B&W 804Ds their *****, not to give you any wild expectations or anything.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Haha, well if thats the case it sounds worth a 10 hour drive. I will say, while I found the bass of the totem sttafs to be somewhat lacking. They seemed to be accurate in the little that I heard them, but really lacking a presence to me.

As for the Kefs, thats pretty much the impression I got, and I like the sound of a wider and deeper soundstage.

I'm always afraid to try and explain what I'm hearing, me with the untrained ear and all. However, if the Phils sound as good, or from what you say, better than the B&Ws then I think you may be too late with your caution.......

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Since you just want some opinions, I bet the Phil 3 sounds better than the B&W 800D, but the 800D looks better since it has the shiny marlan head, the 20 layers of beech, the 10 coats of lacquer, and the 4 days of polishing piano gloss black.:D

Yes, I've auditioned the 800D, 802D, 803D at the dealer. However, I cannot directly say anything negative about them.:eek:

Last edited:
fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Well, I can hardly argue that they are some puuurrrrtttyyyy speakers. I looked like a kid in a candy store, and I'm not ashamed to say that I may have uttered Oooo shiny when I saw them :eek:

walter duque

walter duque

Audioholic Samurai
Well, I can hardly argue that they are some puuurrrrtttyyyy speakers. I looked like a kid in a candy store, and I'm not ashamed to say that I may have uttered Oooo shiny when I saw them :eek:
Where did you audition these speakers? I'll have to check them out. Not at Burt's? Would like to hear the Totems just to see If they can hang with my rear surrounds.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Hippos in Albany, right in stuyvesant plaza next to TGIF and starbucks. It is a deceivingly big place because the store front is tiny. Although still not gigantic, and the room acoustics will probably leave something to be desired, but overall a pretty nice store.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis