Speaker Cables; I'm Sick Already!!!

H

hawk14

Audioholic Intern
I have been looking to purchase a quality set of speaker cables, and have done all kinds of research, reading in these forums, magazines, articles, and I now have a headache!!

But seriously, for the sake of not trying to feed into the great cable debate, I have narrowed my choices to three fairly low cost cables. I say fairly cause I'm cheap!:) Anyhow, in the order of preference, I am looking at Signal Cables, Blue jeans Cables and Anti-cables. (FYI, my choices of cable have more to do with build quality and low cost, as opposed to any great sonic differences between them, as from what I've read all three are considered very good cables)

My research has also introduced a fourth option, which is make my own. I am intrigued with the magnet wire used by Anti-cables, but if i am able to buy a spool and terminate them, I figure I could save even more cash.

My Question is this, given that I have no experience at this, how difficult is it to terminate the wires? I dont want my lack of knowlege in this area to cause me to create an inferior cable that may affect system performance.

Thanks for indulging me on this over-discussed topic, and I look forward to any responses.

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
It is easy to build speaker cable. There is even a step by step thread on here and they are about the nicest cables I have seen. (I would post the link but my "search" function is not working)

If you decide to purchase also look at Best Deal Cables. I use therm and they are very nice.
http://www.bestdealcables.com/c-17-full-range-speaker-cable.aspx

Last edited:
H

hawk14

Audioholic Intern
Thanks Dawg, I'll do a search for that link and see what's involved, but if I just decide to go ahead and purchase, I will give Best Deal Cables a look.

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
Here's an actual picture of my wire up close.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
.... and I now have a headache!!
Try Tylenol:D

.... Anyhow, in the order of preference, I am looking at Signal Cables, Blue jeans Cables and Anti-cables.
I'd use Blue Jeans over the others. And, that Anti cable web site has some snake oil statements:mad: I'd take them off the list completely, besides being expensive.
May want to ad monoprice to your list though.

.... My research has also introduced a fourth option, which is make my own. I am intrigued with the magnet wire used by Anti-cables, but if i am able to buy a spool and terminate them, I figure I could save even more cash.

My Question is this, given that I have no experience at this, how difficult is it to terminate the wires? I dont want my lack of knowlege in this area to cause me to create an inferior cable that may affect system performance.

Thanks for indulging me on this over-discussed topic, and I look forward to any responses.
I am not sure why you want magnet wire to play with, or make you own, but you need sufficient insulation on that wire and should really consider stranded wire for speaker cables.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I just built my 4S11 Bluejeans cables and they look great. I may techflex them at somepoint, but they are fine for now. Pic soon.

Halon451

Halon451

Audioholic Samurai
Another vote for Blue Jeans - they sell the Belden wire in various gauges depending on what you need. Most decent setups are fine with 12 or 14 gauge wire and terminating them is a breeze. I'm currently using the Belden 14 gauge wire - not the prettiest thing to have running along your baseboard, but they're very well priced at Blue Jeans and work as well as anything else out there. :)

T

trnqk7

Full Audioholic
Yeah, I used some Blue Jeans 12AWG CL3 rated wire, put tech-flex over it, wire "booties" on the end, used heat shrink to attach them and terminated with locking banana plugs on all my visible runs coming out of the walls. Turned out pretty nice-much better than bare speaker wire of any type IMO. It was easy to do and still way cheaper than buying the cheap stuff from BB or some other such place.

H

hawk14

Audioholic Intern
Try Tylenol:D

I'd use Blue Jeans over the others. And, that Anti cable web site has some snake oil statements:mad: I'd take them off the list completely, besides being expensive.
May want to ad monoprice to your list though.

I am not sure why you want magnet wire to play with, or make you own, but you need sufficient insulation on that wire and should really consider stranded wire for speaker cables.
I would rather not attempt to make my own, its just that the Anti-cable stuff seemed interesting and I read where others believed it was nothing more than magent wire which anyone could turn into a good speaker cable. Thats all. FWIW, I would rather buy them ready made and set to plug right in. Still going back and forth between Signal and Blue Jeans, but will decide shortly.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I would rather not attempt to make my own, its just that the Anti-cable stuff seemed interesting and I read where others believed it was nothing more than magent wire which anyone could turn into a good speaker cable. Thats all. FWIW, I would rather buy them ready made and set to plug right in. Still going back and forth between Signal and Blue Jeans, but will decide shortly.
The thing is, you will save quite a bit for relatively little work by assembling them yourself, though it will cost you time. If you don't have the tools to strip and such and you won't be likely to use them for anything else, then buying the cables already made is the way to go. I already have all the tools and have built many of my own cables, so it is no big deal for me. I am a big fan of Bluejeans. Excellent customer service and great products.

billy p

billy p

Audioholic Ninja
I'm using Belden 5000 UE with banana plugs purchased from BJC. I would like to finish off my cables with some heat shrink and techflex for a clean look but I don't know where to look. Outside of the local BM stores, I've had little luck.:(

Do you guys have any ideas, Bill...:)

Thanks!

H

hawk14

Audioholic Intern
J. Garcia, I have plenty of tools, and Im sure I have a wire stripper or two. And although there are some threads on how to build cables, I'm a little hesitant because I have zero experience in that area. I'd like to think I'm pretty handy, but I'm not willing to potentially sacrifice any sound quality due to my novice approach at building cables.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
J. Garcia, I have plenty of tools, and Im sure I have a wire stripper or two. And although there are some threads on how to build cables, I'm a little hesitant because I have zero experience in that area. I'd like to think I'm pretty handy, but I'm not willing to potentially sacrifice any sound quality due to my novice approach at building cables.
Speaker wire isn't a massive influence in most systems, and simply attaching connectors to the end of the wire will not affect your overall sound in a dramatic way. I wouldn't worry about it that much :)

H

hawk14

Audioholic Intern
thanks for the vote of confidence guys. Guess I'll give it a go.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis