speaker cable not long enough

D

david caisley

Audiophyte
hello all. i have had a samsung ht-h4500r home theatre system and i am about to set it up in my living room.i have just relied that the cable its to short and that i'll have two run both back speakers around the outside of my house to the back wall.where i am going wall mount the speakers. could any one recommend any cable that i should use. the speaks that come with the system use very thin cable and wondering if i could just use normal power cable or cat5 cable and just clip it around the out side of the house. thanks. i am just getting started with surround sound so i know that this system is basic compared to most.

WaynePflughaupt

WaynePflughaupt

Audioholic Samurai

No, you don’t use power cable or Cat 5 for speaker wire. Normally typical lamp cord would do, but since you’re routing the cable outside I’d recommend the type used for low voltage lighting. Sixteen-gauge wire will be sufficient with your system.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

D

david caisley

Audiophyte
Cool thanks I will look for some now thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Speedskater

Speedskater

Audioholic General
As Wayne wrote;
Use the black low voltage wire designed for outdoor use. It can even be buried, they use it to control sprinkler systems or garden lights. For long runs 16 AWG would be the minimum.

D

david caisley

Audiophyte
So look for 16awg yea ?

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
hello all. i have had a samsung ht-h4500r home theatre system and i am about to set it up in my living room.i have just relied that the cable its to short and that i'll have two run both back speakers around the outside of my house to the back wall.where i am going wall mount the speakers. could any one recommend any cable that i should use. the speaks that come with the system use very thin cable and wondering if i could just use normal power cable or cat5 cable and just clip it around the out side of the house. thanks. i am just getting started with surround sound so i know that this system is basic compared to most.
Carpeted floor, or bare? If it has carpeting and it uses a tack strip at the edges (and yo don't need to cross a doorway), you may be able to carefully lift the carpet at the base molding and tuck a 4 conductor cable in there. If you can't do that, some manufacturers make flat speaker wire and if you slit the carpet behind the equipment cabinet and behind each rear speaker location, you can slide a fish tape under the carpet and tie a string onto the end. Once you pull the string back to the source end, you can tie/tape the wire onto it and pull it to the speaker locations. Best to do this away from the general traffic areas.

D

david caisley

Audiophyte
Carpeted floor, or bare? If it has carpeting and it uses a tack strip at the edges (and yo don't need to cross a doorway), you may be able to carefully lift the carpet at the base molding and tuck a 4 conductor cable in there. If you can't do that, some manufacturers make flat speaker wire and if you slit the carpet behind the equipment cabinet and behind each rear speaker location, you can slide a fish tape under the carpet and tie a string onto the end. Once you pull the string back to the source end, you can tie/tape the wire onto it and pull it to the speaker locations. Best to do this away from the general traffic areas.
I have Wood flooring ands would have to go around one door way. that why I would like to go round the outside of the house so I don't have trunking round most the room.

Speedskater

Speedskater

Audioholic General
They call it "Landscape Lighting Wire" and it's available in 10, 12, 14 & 16 AWG by 2.

Speedskater

Speedskater

Audioholic General
'david' is that link to?
Time Round Flexible Cable 3184Y 4-Core 1mm² x 5m White

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis