Speaker Cable Faceoff 2: Introduction & Measurements

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.

In what possible way does knowing what cables you're listening to increase the reliability of what you hear?
Hey, open book tests are easy to take, you have the answers in front of you:D

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

...when experience proves that there is more to it, as you point out.
Thanks again.
Oh, really? You mean you cannot have years of unreliable experiences with the wrong answers repeated all the time? Happens to many, all the time. But who is counting.

T

tsteves

Junior Audioholic
mtrycrafts
That falls into the 'preference' category as not much to test.
Of course! I like them best when they are already there and working. From then on they are free. Plus, if you actually made them, you even have more non rational attachment to them than if you bought them. The trickiest part to lasting "forever" for a speaker cable is making sure "somebody" doesn't run them over with the vacuum.

PS. If you can help me "find" some good documents let me know!

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

... The trickiest part to lasting "forever" for a speaker cable is making sure "somebody" doesn't run them over with the vacuum.
Two solutions. You do the cleaning around them:D or buy with armored shielding:D
Actually, the third is in wall;)

K

KODG

Junior Audioholic
i need the conclusions!

i purchased some Wilson speakers & went with the sonic wave cable based on your review. I have e-mailed you three times with questions & asking for the conclusions?

also since you gave the sonic Wave cables great reviews why were they no included in your face-off??

thanks,
kodg

I don't just want the best speaker cable for the money I want to know what is the best speaker cable? No way will I spend $4000.00 , but I think you would not peg a cable in that price range as your overall best choice.

Thats what I really need is your conclusions from the face-off 2 & your recommendation on the best overall cable.

You have all the data (much i don't fully understand) I don't no why it would take so long to rate them with all the specs you already have??

PaleRider

Audiophyte
The best speakercable is no cable, the next best is to use thick (like in huge) solid core copper, short as possible. How thick depends on the system, 2W tubes on horns will do fine with just a single 9awg.

If you`re running a lot of SS-watts into some passive multiway speakers (and can`t afford another amp) you`ll need something like 7awg to keep resistance low enough to get the most out of your amp. If you can`t find 7awg, 3-4x9awg for each post will do, but even a bunch of thinner (than 10awg) will not give the same powerful sound.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
The statement in you concluding paragraph in your cable test 1 sounds very audiophilish and voodoo like.

"With the exception to the Stealth Fine Ribbon cables, all of these cables performed admirably well within the context of electrical test performance. Based on the poor electrical test results of the Stealth Fine Ribbon cable, we discourage its usage for serious audiophile applications, unless the intent is to lower the high frequency response of the speaker system, using the wire as a "tone control". "

You are actually stating that you've noticed a difference in sound between the cables tested?

Last edited by a moderator:
Rickster71

Rickster71

Audioholic Spartan
The best speakercable is no cable, the next best is to use thick (like in huge) solid core copper, short as possible. How thick depends on the system, 2W tubes on horns will do fine with just a single 9awg.

If you`re running a lot of SS-watts into some passive multiway speakers (and can`t afford another amp) you`ll need something like 7awg to keep resistance low enough to get the most out of your amp. If you can`t find 7awg, 3-4x9awg for each post will do, but even a bunch of thinner (than 10awg) will not give the same powerful sound.
Where would I find 7-AWG or that 9-AWG wire?

Rickster71

Rickster71

Audioholic Spartan
The statement in you concluding paragraph in your cable test 1 sounds very audiophilish and voodoo like.

"With the exception to the Stealth Fine Ribbon cables, all of these cables performed admirably well within the context of electrical test performance. Based on the poor electrical test results of the Stealth Fine Ribbon cable, we discourage its usage for serious audiophile applications, unless the intent is to lower the high frequency response of the speaker system, using the wire as a "tone control". "

You are actually stating that you've noticed a difference in sound between the cables tested?
Roger Russell says a similar thing (a quote from his web site): "What happens when the resistance gets too high? First, there is power lost in the wire and the speaker will not play as loud. More important, as the resistance in series with the speaker increases, it makes the amplifier look more like a current source. This means the speaker frequency response will tend to follow the rise and fall of its impedance curve. The greater the impedance variation, the more noticeable the response changes will be."

Last edited by a moderator:
harleyoz

harleyoz

Audioholic Intern
I recently found my main / center speaker cables were deteriorating quite badly, they were decent cables say 3mm wire diameter (not including casing) & when i inspected them I found they were corroded the entire length going that green copper suphate color even under the plastic coating. Mmmmm maybe that might be affectign the sound quality!:eek:

So I went & purchased some new cables that look like jumper leads for big block chevys(they only just fitted in my speaker bindings!), quite expensive but not silly expensive. So excitedly I cranked up the system and of course I couldnt notice any difference. Obviously even with the corrosion there was still plently of meat left to carry the current without affectign sound quality.
I can see the sense in decent size well made speaker cables however, those crazy expensive options are just companies providing overkill because some people with to much spare cash will buy them (IMO)

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I recently found my main / center speaker cables were deteriorating quite badly, they were decent cables say 3mm wire diameter (not including casing) & when i inspected them I found they were corroded the entire length going that green copper suphate color even under the plastic coating. Mmmmm maybe that might be affectign the sound quality!:eek
If they were PVC jacketed, that isn't exactly corrosion - it is a reaction from the jacket and it won't affect the sound at all. I experienced the same thing, but I still have cables like that and they have been that way for nearly 10 years with no loss of sound.

harleyoz

harleyoz

Audioholic Intern
It was all though the exposed ends as well with some powdery residue, I guess whatever caused it inside the casing could have migrated along the exposed 3/4 inch. Anyway the new ones look shiny & impressive:)
And since the lengths were not that long it didint cost me that much, I'll be keen to see if it happens again

D

danvillekitty

Audiophyte
Hi, I have a question that might have a quick answer. I just got Mythos Gems for rear spekers from Def Tech. The guys ran 16 awg wires to them with a run of about 30 feet for each speaker. The kHz is 60-30, compatible w/ 8 ohms. The three fronts and sub are using 12 awg. Should I have the wire changed out or does it matter? I have the Mythos STS speaker package with a Denon 3313ci receiver. Thanks.

T

templemaners

Senior Audioholic
Hi, I have a question that might have a quick answer. I just got Mythos Gems for rear spekers from Def Tech. The guys ran 16 awg wires to them with a run of about 30 feet for each speaker. The kHz is 60-30, compatible w/ 8 ohms. The three fronts and sub are using 12 awg. Should I have the wire changed out or does it matter? I have the Mythos STS speaker package with a Denon 3313ci receiver. Thanks.

You're fine. Not worth changing.

D

danvillekitty

Audiophyte
Thanks, Templemaners

Thanks for the very simple answer! I will forget about it and move on. I love the system and am still getting used to the center speaker. It is so much more vibrant that my old really nonexistent one.
When the guys installed it the auto sound program said there was a problem with the two fronts. They checked the wiring and all looked good so they ignored the message and said something about sound waves and continued the calibration. I assume this was okay? Is there something else I might try to get it to go thru the program with no faults? This is all new to me and my husband is no help.:)

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Thanks for the very simple answer! I will forget about it and move on. I love the system and am still getting used to the center speaker. It is so much more vibrant that my old really nonexistent one.
When the guys installed it the auto sound program said there was a problem with the two fronts. They checked the wiring and all looked good so they ignored the message and said something about sound waves and continued the calibration. I assume this was okay? Is there something else I might try to get it to go thru the program with no faults? This is all new to me and my husband is no help.:)
Welcome. :D

Maybe you need a new husband who knows these things;):D

Anyhow, if you know how to run that auto sound program run it again and take written notes what it said, perhaps out of phase?

D

danvillekitty

Audiophyte
Hi, yes I think it said out of phase. The installer checked the wires and said they were ok so he went on with the calibration. Anything else I should do about it?
I've often wished the spouse had a better grasp of all things digital and of computers but I'm alone in this so I have to make do with sympathetic friends and message boards. Thanks for understanding!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis