Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
Some day, you need to make a list of "Approved by Walter" audio gear!
That way, the rest of us could buy with confidence, knowing that the gear will never, ever flinch (under sane usage)!
You'd need to make your listening room flame resistant.
Three beers into it and he wants to hear 'the fire'.
I actually saw him overdrive the 120 volt service. :)

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
At times I do drive my speakers to the limit, and then some. Not as much as I used to though. In the last 25 years I blew 1 tweeter on New Years Eve. Not a big deal had 2 free replacements 2 days later at no charge.
I'm curious! What speaker is the blown tweeter from.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
You'd need to make your listening room flame resistant.
Three beers into it and he wants to hear 'the fire'.
I actually saw him overdrive the 120 volt service. :)
When he cranks his gear, the turbines in the power plant stutter for a fraction of a second as they absorb and adjust to the new load!

walter duque

walter duque

Audioholic Samurai
I'm curious! What speaker is the blown tweeter from.
From turning the system all the way to 11. My builder want sell me some of the models I am interested in because he tells me they are not Walter proof, he does make speakers for normal people too. It was one of my Source speakers.

I wanted to get a pair of these just because the quality of the build was just so awesome.
That set went to Vietnam.

Last edited:
agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
Some manufacturers do say their speakers have a break in time. You only mentioned a half-dozen and there are many hundreds.
Not sure what your point is? They were examples and not meant to be an all encompassing list.

Also, I never knew Monoprice offered premium or ultra-premium products.
I sited counter examples to premium/ ultra premium brands. They go with the idea that as one goes from value oriented to ultra premium, the likelihood of break in being called for goes up.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Not sure what your point is? They were examples and not meant to be an all encompassing list.

I sited counter examples to premium/ ultra premium brands. They go with the idea that as one goes from value oriented to ultra premium, the likelihood of break in being called for goes up.
Maybe we could send this poll to some of the manufacturers. Might be more efficient to distribute through CEDIA or some other organization.

H

Hobbit

Senior Audioholic
Not only that but the small differences of a driver "broken in" vs "unbroken in" are mostly swamped out once loaded into an enclosed system.

See: http://www.audioholics.com/loudspeaker-design/speaker-break-in-fact-or-fiction

Danny Richie is a talented loudspeaker engineer, but some of his claims are "interesting", especially regarding exotic cables.

I'm always curious about the people who claim a 20-40 hour speaker break in. IMO, if the "improvement", being that's what people would often say, is noticeable after that short timer period, in 80 hours has the sound degraded? Does that mean I should be buying a new speaker every 6mo to year?

I believe it's just a placebic effect. Just like after I buy a new guitar. It always seems to sound better after I played it for a week. It's more me getting used to the sound and learning to get the best out of it.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis