Soundstage Stage 80 just started to hum

B

Bexiesbruv

Audioholic Intern
My son was given it and a Kenwood Sub (and a few other bits) in lieu of wages from his broke boss. This was many months ago.
I have recently been toying with the idea of adding one to my PC-Cdac-Sony 7075 Amp-Ditton LS10 Speakers.
So I did.
All has gone swimmingly (for about an hour or so) and then the Sub started to hum.
I switched it off. Disconnected the Dac from the input and switched it on again. Still hummed.
Did this with all speaker connections as well. Now its just the power cord and on/off switch.
Its still hums when switched on.
I was really enjoying the experience until this happened.
Do you think I broke it or its time had come?

Any thoughts or suggestions appreciated.

BTW. The Kenwood is hooped as well, I think the voice coil (is that what its called) is whats wrong with it.

Cheers

Steve

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
My son was given it and a Kenwood Sub (and a few other bits) in lieu of wages from his broke boss. This was many months ago.
I have recently been toying with the idea of adding one to my PC-Cdac-Sony 7075 Amp-Ditton LS10 Speakers.
So I did.
All has gone swimmingly (for about an hour or so) and then the Sub started to hum.
I switched it off. Disconnected the Dac from the input and switched it on again. Still hummed.
Did this with all speaker connections as well. Now its just the power cord and on/off switch.
Its still hums when switched on.
I was really enjoying the experience until this happened.
Do you think I broke it or its time had come?

Any thoughts or suggestions appreciated.

BTW. The Kenwood is hooped as well, I think the voice coil (is that what its called) is whats wrong with it.

Cheers

Steve
Its time has come. If you are handy you might just salvage it by replacing the caps in the power supply.

My guess is that it has not been used for a long time. It is common for older units out of use for a prolonged time to fail soon after repolarization of the caps.

Why do you think the problem with the Kenwood is the VC. Your son got poor wages, that sub is worth about one fat zero.

B

Bexiesbruv

Audioholic Intern
Its time has come. If you are handy you might just salvage it by replacing the caps in the power supply.

My guess is that it has not been used for a long time. It is common for older units out of use for a prolonged time to fail soon after repolarization of the caps.

Why do you think the problem with the Kenwood is the VC. Your son got poor wages, that sub is worth about one fat zero.
I couldnt agree more. He also got a Tascam Porta Pro recording studio which, if we time the listing well, might bring him a couple, maybe three hundred dollars.
The only reason I think voice coil is that its trying to operate but just vibrating rather badly. But maybe its the same thing as you suggested, needs recapping.
It wouldnt be anything to do with my amp would it? To powerful, not enough power? I have no clue about this stuff and was in two minds whether to post here or in the newbies.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

I couldnt agree more. He also got a Tascam Porta Pro recording studio which, if we time the listing well, might bring him a couple, maybe three hundred dollars.
The only reason I think voice coil is that its trying to operate but just vibrating rather badly. But maybe its the same thing as you suggested, needs recapping.
It wouldnt be anything to do with my amp would it? To powerful, not enough power? I have no clue about this stuff and was in two minds whether to post here or in the newbies.
What you describe sounds like cone voice coil separation, so that unit is done.

I don't understand your last sentence. Your amp is blown, the power supply in it is no good.

B

Bexiesbruv

Audioholic Intern
Yeah, I can see how I confused you. I wondered if the Sony had added to the issue but then realised its on the wrong end of the line
You are referring to the power supply in the sub (Stage 80) being done, presumably? I thought the issue was with bad caps.
As I said, I have no clue but I am willing to pull it apart to learn. Is there anything inside I can fix buy buying from my local electronics store and setting to with a soldering iron? Is it like opening up a passive speaker to recap a cross over?
Is it not even worth taking the time to bother.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Yeah, I can see how I confused you. I wondered if the Sony had added to the issue but then realised its on the wrong end of the line
You are referring to the power supply in the sub (Stage 80) being done, presumably? I thought the issue was with bad caps.
As I said, I have no clue but I am willing to pull it apart to learn. Is there anything inside I can fix buy buying from my local electronics store and setting to with a soldering iron? Is it like opening up a passive speaker to recap a cross over?
Is it not even worth taking the time to bother.
Honestly if you have no experience with this you need to stay out of it. It is much more complex than recapping a passive crossover.

If you are not experienced in soldering, then a high voltage circuit is not the place to learn.

I doubt you would find the caps locally. You would have to make an inventory of all power supply caps, noting their value and voltage plus polarity. The you would have to order them from Dig-Key or Mousser.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

I thought I was done.
TLS Guy you mentioned building a sub and I thought that was beyond my capabilities until I came across some info regarding same. So, rather than building another Sub, could I "just" replace the amp plate? Something like this http://www.parts-express.com/Search.aspx?keyword=plate amp&sitesearch=true
I am fairly confident the speaker on the Suundstage is good.
I really can't tell you. I can't find any information on that Sub.

A quick answer is if the sub is ported probably you possibly can do that. If it is sealed the answer will be no, as the amp will be equalized to the sub.

B

Bexiesbruv

Audioholic Intern
Its a Dayton plate such as is in the link. I will take a pic and ask Dayton. Just thought I would get an opinion, thanks.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Its a Dayton plate such as is in the link. I will take a pic and ask Dayton. Just thought I would get an opinion, thanks.
I'm not asking about the plate amp. Is the Sub ported or sealed?

B

Bexiesbruv

Audioholic Intern
I'm not asking about the plate amp. Is the Sub ported or sealed?
I dont know what ported or sealed means.
I can remove the amp and see the speaker, which faces the floor. There is a tube running to back of the cabinet, open end inside the cabinet, so I guess thats a port.
When powered up, the hum is coming from that speaker, not the amp as I first thought. Its vibrating pretty good.
I really dislike throwing stuff out if I believe it can be repaired, even if I have to get another Sub and Amp, at least I save the cabinet. Just not sure what to get.
The Soundstage "brand" was made exclusively for a retail Elec chain out here called Visions. Not even sure if they still use the name.
http://www.eriksonconsumer.com/soundstage.html

EDIT http://www.svsound.com/t/sealed-vs-ported
Found this info. Maybe I need to just buy one as the Soundstage is likely come from a HTIB.

Last edited:
TLS Guy

TLS Guy

I dont know what ported or sealed means.
I can remove the amp and see the speaker, which faces the floor. There is a tube running to back of the cabinet, open end inside the cabinet, so I guess thats a port.
When powered up, the hum is coming from that speaker, not the amp as I first thought. Its vibrating pretty good.
I really dislike throwing stuff out if I believe it can be repaired, even if I have to get another Sub and Amp, at least I save the cabinet. Just not sure what to get.
The Soundstage "brand" was made exclusively for a retail Elec chain out here called Visions. Not even sure if they still use the name.
http://www.eriksonconsumer.com/soundstage.html

EDIT http://www.svsound.com/t/sealed-vs-ported
Found this info. Maybe I need to just buy one as the Soundstage is likely come from a HTIB.
So, the sub is ported, and looks to be pretty much a "white van" job. We have now established that it is ported. I personally would not put money into it. I would get a decent sub. If you use that one for HT, I bet the driver will soon bottom and be done. Move on from that one.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Since op had already found parts express, a bit more searching and he would find a dayton 1200 sub which probably be safer purchase than spending any money into white van speakers

B

Bexiesbruv

Audioholic Intern
Since op had already found parts express, a bit more searching and he would find a dayton 1200 sub which probably be safer purchase than spending any money into white van speakers
In another thread, we already established that I have a good enough mix of speakers lying around; Celestion, Mission, JBL and Fisher, that I really only need be looking for an AVR and Sub to get me started.

B

Bexiesbruv

Audioholic Intern
Dayton 1200 is currently unavailable. What about the 1000?

B

Bexiesbruv

Audioholic Intern
Could I make use of just the cabinets that I have and load them up with better parts?

B

Bexiesbruv

Audioholic Intern
Ok.i get that now. I think i will get the dayton sub 1000 as its currently a available

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis