soundproof walls... need help! cork?

C

chuck10553

Junior Audioholic
i am wondering if cork will work for an insulator in my dorm room... my basic problem is that my wall-mates get upset with me for disturbing them with my sub and ht going through the walls while i am watching a movie and since it is usually 1 or 2 in the morning they have a right to be upset so as i am getting ready to go back in a month or so i am trying to figure out if i could just put sheets of cork on the wall as an extra barrier to keep my neighbors happy... any other ideas would be quite welcome... the room is about 12x12

Rickster71

Rickster71

Audioholic Spartan
So, are a good pair of head phones out of the question?
That's a whole lot of cork, and I doubt it well ever do the job, to accommodate 2:AM movie watching.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
I had a friend in college who put up sound-deadening material in his dorm room. I can't remember what it was, though, but it looked like cork.

I remember living in a dorm...and the noise of the dorm. Soooo happy that's in the past. :)

no. 5

no. 5

Audioholic Field Marshall
The only things that will provide soundproofing (especially for low frequency) are mass and physical isolation.

jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
It's going to take a lot of heavy insulation to stop sub-bass frequencies. The most reasonable steps you can take are:

-Isolate your subwoofer with a product like the Auralex Gramma Pad
-Move your subwoofer as far away as possible from the complaining neighbor
-Invest some money in room treatments, specifically in bass traps to helps combat resonance. As a bonus, if properly used, your system will sound better.

-If you wanted, you could try building an isolation wall, but that would be expensive, heavy, complicated, and honestly, probably not all that effective unless made to be outrageously heavy.

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
If it's just you, buy some headphones, and get a Bass Shaker or something.

SheepStar

R

rnatalli

Audioholic Ninja
You could try new drywall and Green Glue. Another possibility is using RSIC-1 or Isomax clips. Both these options will cost a fair amount especially if you use them together for best results. I suppose a cheap fix that might work is to add a brick wall.

C

chuck10553

Junior Audioholic
well i cant really do anything to the actually wall... thats y i thought maybe cork and headphones dont really work cause it usually isnt just me ;) but thanks for all the suggestions :D

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
well i cant really do anything to the actually wall... thats y i thought maybe cork and headphones dont really work cause it usually isnt just me ;) but thanks for all the suggestions :D
In your case nothing short of turning your sub off is gonna work for your wall mate at 2 AM. At 2 PM I'd say you can let 'er rip. :)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis