Sound system for $2100 $AUD?

K

KAMBO

Audiophyte
Heyas!

Complete noobie here with a what should I buy question!
I'm looking to kit out my lounge room and just bought a 55HX850, now i'm on the prowl to get some speakers & a receiver?

The room is 7m wide x 4m long on a concrete slab, room is empty with no furniture. I plan to divide the room into two sections: ~2/3 for a tv focussed area, and ~1/3 for an area where the TV isn't the focus.

What I'm used to: a 46" + logitech Z680 + Xtreamer media player & xbox360 for dvds. The xtreamer is the main source of entertainment (I don't own BRs/DVDs/CDs).

I've done some reading and I'm thinking of getting the Yamaha RXV673B - I'm liking the Airplay & Zone 2 features. Have found this for $598 aud which I'm comfortable with.

My problem is I'm not sure what speakers to get? I was thinking the Yamaha EF series? I found a set for $1500. Pretty much just replicated the YHT-998AU from Yamaha (without the Zone 2 speakers). I probably don't need 7.1.

I just have no idea if the price reflects bang for buck quality. I'd probably be happy with it...?? :confused:

Can you guys make any suggestions? I'm looking to spend a firm $2100 and so far its looking like $600+$1500.

brianedm

brianedm

Audioholic General
AUD is Australian dollars? I'm just guessing here

H

hizzaah

Full Audioholic
What kind of availability do you have over there? Maybe link to the stores you were thinking of using?

TIGERLEE

TIGERLEE

Audiophyte
Sound system for $2100 $AUD? Possible......Crikey Yes!

G'day Kambo,

I set up my new system early Nov...........

I'm new to this forum too and find the range of info outstanding and after making a start with a new AV set up I think I did Ok with little experience. I ditched my tired old 90s gear that was hardly ever used and picked up the following for around $2000aud. We're pretty limited here in Tasmania as for local dealers so I did spend some time researching the best value available locally.

• Marantz NR1602 7.1 - Harvey Norman $699, (clearance Tasmania)
  • Warfedale Vardus 300 HT package Bing Lee $899 (+ shipping ex Melb)

The slimline Marantz is 50w and well suited to my medium size lounge room, the Vardus are very well made speakers and the sound quality is wonderful through my tired old ears! Anyhow, check out the reviews you can find. No doubt there will be +- opinions from this forum bout my setup.

Love the Marantz because it is loaded with features, internet radio, airplay, media server, Ipod/itunes connectivity. In addition I have spent good $s on in-wall cabling, rears, towers, sub and TV. I have run long RCA cable to the Kitchen/Dining area off the NRs pre out to our old Sanyo HT that I set up there.

Still tweaking the system settings and have yet to master the Audyssey settings to get the best sound experience.

Cheers

Lee

monkish54

monkish54

Audioholic General
Heyas!

Complete noobie here with a what should I buy question!
I'm looking to kit out my lounge room and just bought a 55HX850, now i'm on the prowl to get some speakers & a receiver?

The room is 7m wide x 4m long on a concrete slab, room is empty with no furniture. I plan to divide the room into two sections: ~2/3 for a tv focussed area, and ~1/3 for an area where the TV isn't the focus.

What I'm used to: a 46" + logitech Z680 + Xtreamer media player & xbox360 for dvds. The xtreamer is the main source of entertainment (I don't own BRs/DVDs/CDs).

I've done some reading and I'm thinking of getting the Yamaha RXV673B - I'm liking the Airplay & Zone 2 features. Have found this for $598 aud which I'm comfortable with.

My problem is I'm not sure what speakers to get? I was thinking the Yamaha EF series? I found a set for $1500. Pretty much just replicated the YHT-998AU from Yamaha (without the Zone 2 speakers). I probably don't need 7.1.

I just have no idea if the price reflects bang for buck quality. I'd probably be happy with it...?? :confused:

Can you guys make any suggestions? I'm looking to spend a firm $2100 and so far its looking like $600+$1500.
Would you be happy with 2.1 (2.0) or do you definitely want 5.1?

K

KAMBO

Audiophyte
Thanks Lee, I'll read up on them!!

monkish54 - I don't really know :S the logitechs z680s are 5.1 (????) but I dont think I watch anything thats "5.1", sound does come out of the rear+centre speakers... :eek:

So 5.1 and beyond (even 7.1).

monkish54

monkish54

Audioholic General
Thanks Lee, I'll read up on them!!

monkish54 - I don't really know :S the logitechs z680s are 5.1 (????) but I dont think I watch anything thats "5.1", sound does come out of the rear+centre speakers... :eek:

So 5.1 and beyond (even 7.1).
If sound is coming out of the rear channels of, then it's definitely 5.1. :)

Would you rather piece the system together slowly and add to it later (allowing you to get better speakers) or would you rather have the full 5.1 now?

K

KAMBO

Audiophyte
If sound is coming out of the rear channels of, then it's definitely 5.1. :)

Would you rather piece the system together slowly and add to it later (allowing you to get better speakers) or would you rather have the full 5.1 now?
I want to get it all in one go & replace things as they break down. I don't think I'm the type to upgrade/look for stuff (if that makes sense).

Having 7.2 sounds good!

Big chain stores around AU are JBHIFI/Harvey Norman (I can't post urls yet), but I'm OK with buying stuff online/overseas etc price dependant.

The Yamaha EF's are pretty to look at...probably should close my eyes when buying speakers...

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis