Sound Reproduction: The Acoustics and Psychoacoustics of Loudspeakers and Rooms

Discussion in 'Room Acoustics, System Layout & Setup' started by TheWarrior, Jul 16, 2017.

1. TheWarrior Audioholic Field Marshall

TheWarrior
    Dr. Floyd Toole's 3rd Edition will be released August 8th. From what I have seen, it is heavily revised and updated to make it a bit more accessible to the rest of us that are not engineers. It is still a lifetime of research that has to be absorbed, but the knowledge will benefit anyone and everyone.

Paperback available from the publisher: https://www.routledge.com/Sound-Rep...f-Loudspeakers-and/Toole/p/book/9781138921368

And discounted hardcover (the textbook it really deserves to be) on amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Sound-Reprod...138921378/ref=mt_hardcover?_encoding=UTF8&me=
    (soft back is previous edition)
    • Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. shadyJ Audioholic Ninja

shadyJ
    This is one I am looking forward to.

For those who don't know, Dr. Toole will be giving a two part lecture at the T.H.E Show in Anaheim in September. He will be signing editions of his new book.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Pogre Audioholic Samurai

Pogre
    I love to read and I love to learn. Reading books like that are hard for me to get through tho. Do his books read like a school book? I haven't read any of them yet.
  4. TheWarrior Audioholic Field Marshall

TheWarrior
    I hope that makes it's way on to Youtube!

He is a true gentleman, but also a scientist that is only interested in facts. And many of the facts in this revised edition might unnerve those who have for one reason or another subscribed to pseudoscience that pleases their subjective bias. But we've even seen on this forum how he deals with subjective 'nay-sayers' - politely cites countless facts and objective tests in a demonstrative manner.
  5. TheWarrior Audioholic Field Marshall

TheWarrior
    It is still an extraordinary amount of information and data. The layout of chapters makes it easier to jump through for those that don't want to study it as a textbook cover to cover.

I bought the last edition, first, as a used copy. It was in good condition, but has since been well used! Purchased several other copies, some as gifts, and one as my own autographed copy. I think this information is invaluable and is worth taking the time to get your head around it all.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. KEW Audioholic Spartan

KEW
    Amazon/Toole/publisher were pretty generous in providing a solid 20 pages of text in the "Look inside" link (top left of image of book), so check it out.
    https://www.amazon.com/Sound-Reproduction-Psychoacoustics-Loudspeakers-Engineering/dp/0240520092

(this is from the 2nd edition, not the new one).
    KEW,
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Audiosaur Junior Audioholic

Audiosaur
    LOL. You haven't read any school books or any of Dr Toole's books?:D
  8. Pogre Audioholic Samurai

Pogre
    Oh I've read school books. They're just hard for me to get through. I didn't study much in high school and did pretty well. In hindsight I wish I would have tried a little harder...
  9. TheWarrior Audioholic Field Marshall

TheWarrior
    Acousticians can be paid tens of thousands to design a room on paper and never set foot in it. While that doesn't need to be your goal, you can still trust in the countless tests and research cited throughout as a sure way to design your own listening space - and that seems to be how this revision has been organized. Yes it is still a long read, but the information is more accessible and easily located for those who want to get straight to it.

How much time do you spend on the internet discussing Audyssey? Wouldn't it be nice to get better results, yourself?
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. shadyJ Audioholic Ninja

shadyJ
    I think if he read Floyd's book, he would be questioning the usefulness of Audyssey altogether.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. TheWarrior Audioholic Field Marshall

TheWarrior
    He touched on that subject in the AES article he paid to keep public, 'Measurement and Calibration of Sound Reproducing Systems' but from what I understand he did not hold back in this latest edition of 'Sound Reproduction'.

We've gone from auto setup that was intended to just get each channel's level balanced with preferential modifications if desired, to the claims of 'automatic room correction.' That phrase alone presupposes that there is something wrong with your room to begin with. Funny, Audyssey never once asks the dimensions of your room, but measurements from random beeps on the cheapest omni mic known to man from listening positions only, will provide sufficient data to 'correct' a room.

I guess 'Better sound through research' was already taken...
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. andy_c Junior Audioholic

andy_c
    • Like Like x 1
  13. TheWarrior Audioholic Field Marshall

TheWarrior
    Which you've ordered, I presume?

Amazon gives you a sneak peak and I've been privy to a few other sections as well and I can say Floyd put a lot of effort into refining the layout and organization of a lifetime of studies and turning them in to a textbook for those wanting to turn professional, and a handbook for those willing to commit some time to gain an education that will allow them to make the best of their listening experience.
    • Like Like x 1
  14. andy_c Junior Audioholic

andy_c
    Just ordered it today in fact. :) In order to get that link, I had to click on the link under the description of the earlier edition that said "Floyd E. Toole" rather than the "Floyd Toole" link (there were two). It seems Amazon is a bit out of wack on the pre-order setup.

The sneak peek that I saw was to the previous 2008 version of the book, which I have as well. Regardless, I trust his judgment more than any other author of books about audio, so I'm assuming the 3rd edition will be a winner.
    • Like Like x 1
  15. TheWarrior Audioholic Field Marshall

TheWarrior
    From Amazon? Interesting, I ordered the hardcover on Amazon and got a good chunk of the new book. Finishing up an unrelated read now so I'll be all set to keep cramming when this arrives!
    • Like Like x 1