Sound quality through acoustically transparent screen?

W

wings

Enthusiast
I am preparing to build my first home theater and am weighing placing my center channel speaker below the screen (which would put it about 10" off of the floor), or behind an acoustically transparent screen. Can anyone tell me how significantly the sound quality is degraded by the screen? I am currently leaning toward using an EMP Tek R56ci center channel and a Silver Ticket 106" acoustically transparent screen.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
First things first - The perfect use for AT screens is vertical center. What's vertical center you ask? Good question and answer is : one extra speaker, identical to front left and right speakers.

This is the ideal setup.

Horizontal center in any configuration is always a compromise
Going with Emp speakers if you prefer towers for extra dynamics (aka louder) ask RBH to sell you one extra R55Ti Tower speaker.

W

wings

Enthusiast
Thanks, Bored - I assume you are referring to the off-axis losses of a horizontal driver array? I hadn't considered using a 3rd R55Ti as a center channel, but it may be workable (the tower height would necessitate a wall cavity nearly the height of my screen). A couple of additional questions:

1. Can you give me some insight into how the sound is affected by the screen?
2. I assume the back of the cavity would need to remain open since the speaker is ported?
3. The center tower would in this case be about 12"-18" higher than the front L/R towers, and the tweeters would be significantly above ear level. Will this be a problem?

Thanks again!

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
1) I don't have links to direct data, but you could find links for speaker measurements with and without grills - AT screen should have similar (aka very small) effect on sq, which you could counteract by small boost in treble if so desired
2) Rear ported speakers might be a challenge if too close to back wall, if you could have at least 1ft space behind them you should be ok. Alternatively you could just go with front ported or sealed speakers.
3) this is not just a concern a for center, your mains and surrounds tweeter height in relation to ear level should be coordinated as well - aka try to get ear and front twitter on about same height, while for surrounds tweeter should be about one foot above ear level.
Is this critical - not, but it would not be ideal :)

Whats your budget for speakers and AVR ?

Last edited:
fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
1. Can you give me some insight into how the sound is affected by the screen?
AT screens usually cause some high frequency roll off. The better the screen the higher the frequency the roll off will start and the more data the company will provide on just how their screen affects the sound. Also, speakers should be placed as close as possible to the screen without any of the drivers hitting the screen or causing any screen movement.

jcparks

jcparks

Full Audioholic
also keep in mind the r55ti is actually about 50 dollars cheaper then the r56ci, not a huge deal but still food for thought.

W

wings

Enthusiast
This is all great input. I am planning to use the Emp Tek R55TiR's for front L/R, either the R56CiR or a third R55Ti as the center channel, R55WiR's for the surrounds, and probably an SVS PB-1000 sub. For AVR I am considering the Pioneer VSX-1130, Onkyo TX-NR737, and the Onkyo TX-NR838. My budget for speakers and AVR is approximately $2800. I anticipate about 60/40 movies/music use. My room is about 13.5' wide, and the viewing/listening position will be about 13' from the screen and front speakers. I am still in the research and shopping phase, so I welcome all suggestions. Thanks!

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
For $2800 i think you can do better. Ascend 340se fronts, pair of wave crest hvl1 for surrounds. Hsu vtf3 mk5 hp sub and if look hard you could find great deals on last year model of mid range denon/marantz avr's. Potentially a refub

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
probably an SVS PB-1000 sub.
For AVR I am considering the Pioneer VSX-1130, Onkyo TX-NR737, and the Onkyo TX-NR838. My budget for speakers and AVR is approximately $2800.
I would aim for at least a 12 inch subwoofer - however, I would think about
grabbing this B-stock Reaction Audio S-15 sub before someone gets it.
http://reaction-audio.myshopify.com/collections/outlet/products/s-15-500w-sealed-subwoofer?variant=992284853

That Pioneer VSX-1130 receiver does look nice - however, I would take a look
at this Marantz 6008 receiver
http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/marsr6008/marantz-sr6008-7.2-networking-home-theater-receiver-with-airplay/1.html

Your call

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis