Sound quality issue

F

fatalwounds

Audiophyte
So I have hooked a couple of loudspeakers up to an amp, and the right speaker sounds kind of bad. I also noticed that one of its cup things is sort of imploded. If I find a way to pop it back out would it sound better or did I just hook it up to the amp incorrectly?

Thanks

Last edited:
N

Nugu

Audioholic
the right speaker sounds kind of bad
Be more descriptive. Bad is a very general term. Also state the speaker make and model, for all we know it could be a "bad" speaker.

I also noticed that one of its cup things is sort of imploded. If I find a way to pop it back out would it sound better
By "imploded" I'm going on a limb and guessing you mean it looks like someone poked it in with a finger. Leave it, assuming it isn't torn open it won't really affect the sound of the speaker. If you so desire you can always get it replaced or do it yourself.

F

fatalwounds

Audiophyte
By bad I mean it sounds very muffled and there is very little treble regardless of the EQ setting. They are Yamaha NS-A220 speakers. Since the cup thing being poked in isn't the problem I'm going to guess that it's the individual speaker that's broken. Thanks for the info

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Not necessarially.

Since the cup thing being poked in isn't the problem I'm going to guess that it's the individual speaker that's broken. Thanks for the info
Just because the cap is poked in doesn't guarantee that there's no other problems. From your description of the sound it sounds like the tweeter might be shot.

Plus, you don't say which speaker is "poked in".

N

Nugu

Audioholic
Ya, it sounds like a blown or partially blown speaker. If you feel it's worth trying to fix/replace I'm sure you can find replacement speakers on ebay relatively cheaply.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
If the tweeter is pushed in, the smallest driver on the speaker, and the sound is muffled, then chances are that tweeter is totalled. Put your ear up to each driver and determine which ones are working and which aren't. The amplifier probably is not the problem.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis