Sound Field Audio - can your bookshelf reach this low?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Nice. So they use an active Subwoofer, instead of the usual passive woofer for bass.

Basically taking a KEF uni-Q precision driver + DefTech built-in active subwoofer approach (although the Soundfield Audio subwoofer is probably better quality?:D).

Is the subwoofer amp outside the speaker, though?

Pyrrho

Pyrrho

Audioholic Ninja
Those are pretty big for bookshelf speakers.

Here is an impressive bookshelf speaker:

http://www.kef.com/history/en/1970/model102.asp

13" x 8.2" x 10.3" (a little more than half the size of the Soundfield Audio Monitor 1)

65-20kHz +/-2dB

-6dB @ 40Hz

Here is a review:

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/1987-07-24/entertainment/8702240148_1_speaker-stereo-magic

It, too, is not just another speaker, though without a powered subwoofer, it uses a special equalization circuit that one puts into the signal path via tape monitor/processor loop or between preamp and power amp:

http://www.hifiloudspeakers.info/Anatomy/KEFDocuments/KEFSpeakers61to86/Gallery/pages/kef3.htm

Last edited:
Pyrrho

Pyrrho

Audioholic Ninja
Nice. So they use an active Subwoofer, instead of the usual passive woofer for bass.

Basically taking a KEF uni-Q precision driver + DefTech built-in active subwoofer approach (although the Soundfield Audio subwoofer is probably better quality?:D).

Is the subwoofer amp outside the speaker, though?
Look again at the link:

300 watt rms rear mounted BASH plate amplifier and banana plug speaker terminals.

R

randyb

Full Audioholic
http://soundfieldaudio.net/Products.html

It uses the KEF uni-q coaxial, for controlled directivity, crossed (i believe actively?) to an EQ'd, sealed 8" high excursion (sub)woofer.
Did you read Atkinson's critique of the measurements on AVS (2 channel snake oil thread)? John, AJ, Amir and others have been going at it over multiple things for pages. Also, will the speakers be in the right place in the room for optimal bass...below the transition point, it is all about the room and location, location, location.

Last edited:
Pyrrho

Pyrrho

Audioholic Ninja
Did you read Atkinson's critique of the measurements on AVS (2 channel snake oil thread)? John, AJ, Amir and others have been going at it over multiple things for pages. Also, will the speakers be in the right place in the room for optimal bass...below the transition point, it is all about the room and location, location, location.
Do you have a link?

GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja
Threads in AVS involving amir, get way too long to follow and maintain interest. The last one boiled down to

Amir: "I can hear HDMI"
AJ: "You can ""hear"" HDMI :rolleyes: "
JA: Why do you people keep bringing my name up?
AJ: "You can ""hear"" amplifiers.
Amir: "USB sounds better than HDMI"

R

randyb

Full Audioholic
Threads in AVS involving amir, get way too long to follow and maintain interest. The last one boiled down to

Amir: "I can hear HDMI"
AJ: "You can ""hear"" HDMI :rolleyes: "
JA: Why do you people keep bringing my name up?
AJ: "You can ""hear"" amplifiers.
Amir: "USB sounds better than HDMI"
Veru true, but I was surprised that Atkinson commented on AJ's speaker measurements. Link above. By the way, I have no axe to grind and haven't heard the speakers. Reports were they sounded good.

Last edited:
GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja
Rear mounted amp inside the speaker, huh?

I don't like it.

I like that it is an active subwoofer, but I like to use my own amp externally.
They are made to order. If you have the amps, I'm sure AJ can make it without the built-in amp.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I would love to audition the Soundfield Audio speakers and compare them to the Revel Salon2, Linkwitz Orion, & KEF 201/2!:D

The Soundfield speaker on-axis & 60-degrees off-axis responses look totally awesome!

I like the cherry (?) finish. If AJ can make them in high-gloss cherry or similar, that would be awesome.:D

I suppose having an internal subwoofer amp has it's advantages, especially when they are detachable, unlike my DefTechs which were not detachable.

Do you think AJ will eventually make a passive 3-way or 4-way tower version?

I am interested. :D

My Speakers Funds are being replenish as we speak.:eek::D

Last edited:
billy p

billy p

Audioholic Ninja
It would be nice to see if Audioholics could lift his BAN and allow him the same leeway in talking about his current designs (only as a builder) and help answer any pending question regarding his products?

Just saying...:)

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
It would be nice to see if Audioholics could lift his BAN and allow him the same leeway in talking about his current designs (only as a builder) and help answer any pending question regarding his products?
it sure supports the little builders in the industry if they would give him a chance.

Matt34

Matt34

Just saying...:)
Don't hold your breath Bill. He went through multiple warnings, temp bans, etc before the permanent ban. Apparently it's beyond him to communicate in a civil nature on these forums.

GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja
What is your take on that one speaker measurement for the Soundfield M1?

What is John Atkinson talking about in terms of "unusual"?:confused:
It unusually has an off axis treble peak, you can see in the 60 degree measurement. Normally that would taper off smoothly.

Now most non controlled directivity speakers, do have a treble peak, because tweeters are acoustically smaller than the woofer they are crossing to. Most speakers go from an almost beaming woofer to an almost omni tweeter, and the shift is visible in the off axis response and likely audible in the crossover region in most rooms.

The treble peak for the Soundfield M1, however, is not in the crossover region or even in the upper midrange/lower treble. It's closer to the upper treble which is unusual.

I think in that thread, AJ said it was a result of the waveguide or something, and said that drywall is actually absorbtive of that frequency rather than reflective as it is lower in frequency.

I think it's just JA taking shots at AJ because, hey, it's AJ and he'll never pass up a chance to take a shot at anyone. But I don't know if AJ's right either.

Last edited:
N

neekomax

Audiophyte
Soundfield Audio Monitor 1 owner.

Hi, new to this forum. Thought I'd pipe up on these speakers.

I believe I'm the first or second customer to whom AJ shipped. I've had them for about a week.

(It's funny, because I had no idea how 'notorious' and controvrsial AJ has been on all these audio forums. I'm active on Audio Circle, and he's always very civil and helpful there. When I saw some of the threads on AVS and others, I was llke, 'whoa...:eek:')

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis