Sorry...but Ive got a problem already

Mr. Lamb Fries

Mr. Lamb Fries

Full Audioholic
HK 7200...After going through the quick set up guide, everything went fine. Today I went to configure the settings and things still seemed to go fine. After configuration, about ten minutes, the sound went dead. After rereading the manual I re-hooked everything and reset everything back to settings listed on the EZ setup guide. Nothing seemed to work and after testing every configuration I could think of, I ended up resetting the processor. When that was completed I was able to get sound out of the front two towers and nothing else. I was only able to get this sound by using the configuration of ANALOG and SURR-OFF. This setting works with cable and DVD. I contacted the nearest authorized service center, about five hours away, and after talking to two service reps, said I should send it in. I am hoping I have set something in the configuration that can easily be changed. I have only had this product powered on for about 8 hrs when it started acting up. I am not happy about spending more money to send it out for repair but if that is my only option then so be it.

this is part of the e-mail I sent to Harmanaudio. before I ship this thing out I thought I would tuck tail and ask some people who actually know what they are talking about. the one guy said all he does is hit the dolby button till he gets sound. Very usefull suggestion (yeah right!!!)
I have tried everything I can think of. gone through every configuration...reset the processors memory three times...unplugged every connection..read the manual twice...Could there be something i am missing? this all happened when I was listening to the music low. I was actually reading the manual and had it on in the background. the music just stopped. no pop, no giant explosion...nothing! I was playing with the remote at the time. Is there some way to shut off all the surround capabilities? thats all I can think of.
i dont mind sending it in even though it will be a pain in the AZZ, but I want it to work right.
Thanks in advance for suggestions...
Coops

Last edited:
Duffinator

Duffinator

Audioholic Field Marshall
Coops, sorry to hear about your problems. This is the 7200? I remember when first setting up my Denon 3805 I hit a button on my remote and lost sound for a while. I think I hit something like the external in input, the one for DVD-A and SACD. It took me a while to figure it out. Maybe something similar has happened with you. If not send me a PM and I'll see if I can get ahold of my friend that has a 7200 to see if he has any insight into your problem.

Last edited:
P

Polkfan

Audioholic
Any chance you could have blown a fuse inside the piece of equip? What model are we talking about. I gather it is a HK of some sort?

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
Polkfan said:
Any chance you could have blown a fuse inside the piece of equip?
Then the analog would not work either ;)

Mr. Lamb Fries

Mr. Lamb Fries

Full Audioholic
Yeah its the 7200. When I first hooked it up, it would only work in anolog. but it still played in 5.1. (using the dual room option but havent hooked it up yet). Ive got an optical hook-up & an anolog for DVD but just an anolog line for my cable, just as it stated in the manual. When talking to the service tech, he said dont worry about the external in section in the OSD. I will go back to the OSD and try switching these around. Ill also check the fuses.
It was a bad 24 hrs for amps in the household-fried my sub and cant seem to configure this thing right. The service tech said I might have a bad digital processor. he wasnt very knowledgable of this product and trying to walk me through this from his memory which seemed like a lost cause. I will try any suggestions before I send it out to the service center.
Thanks again for all your help
BTW, this thing still sounds GREAT in stereo

Duffinator

Duffinator

Please post what equipment you are using. Your post sounds confusing. It doesn't sound right when you mention you are getting a 5.1 output from an analog connection, unless you are using DD PL II, DTS Neo 6 or Logic 7. Do you mean digital coax? Or 6 analog inputs from your DVD player that's typically used for SACD or DVD-A? And what's up with this "(using the dual room option but havent hooked it up yet)". The fist place I'd start is only connecting your DVD player with a digital connection (either coax or optical) and see what happens. Make sure your DVD player is set to output a digital signal in its setup menu. If your DVD player does not work with the digital connection, you should see 5.1 in and 5.1 out on the receiver display, there's probably a problem with the receiver. :( Unless you are using a second or thrid zone you should be doing nothing with the "dual room" setup.

Mr. Lamb Fries

Mr. Lamb Fries

Full Audioholic
Thank you very much fory your help. I tried your earlier suggestions and still nothing. I have gone through every configuration the remote and face plate would let me. the only way to get any sound is when it is set to Analog/Surround Off. even in analog I cant get center or the rears to play. I tried 5 channel stereo,and 3 channel stereo.
Answers to your questions...
Here is a list of equiptment and ALL the connections. Maybe I have something hooked up that will cancel out any surround format.
Question 1
5-disc sony DVD player model # DVP NC600
Heres how its hooked up;
Optical out to optical in #1 on HK
Right Left Audio out to DVD R/L Audio in on HK
S- Vidio out to DVD S-Video in on HK

cable box Scientific Atlantic model # 3100 (from Cable Compant)
Heres how its hooked up;
S-Video out to S-Video #3 in on HK
R/L Audio out to R/L Audio #3 in on Hk
Digital out to Coax #2 on HK
Cable Out to TV

The only other connections are both tuner antenna's, and S-vidio out from the HK to the TV. My TV doesnt have component in. I am not using sub out (since it is now fried) I do not have Surr b. L or R hooked up. Right now it is hooked up to play in 5.1 format (minus sub)),

Question2
When I said I got 5.1, I meant I got sound from all 5 speakers. But it was still playing in analog.
Question 3
I plan on using the dual room feature later, but for now I am trying to get it hooked up in 5.1 for my home theater. I have not hooked up anything for the dual room yet. nothing hooked up to Surr b. L or R

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
Coops, this is most likely a configuration problem and the best way to make sure it is configured properly is to do one thing at a time, which is what Duffinator was suggesting. Based on your answers to his questions, I have a few thoughts about what you need to check. First disconnect everything but the dvd player and put in a disc that you know has a DD 5.1 track.

coops said:
Question 1
5-disc sony DVD player model # DVP NC600
Heres how its hooked up;
Optical out to optical in #1 on HK
Right Left Audio out to DVD R/L Audio in on HK
S- Vidio out to DVD S-Video in on HK
Nothing wrong there with the physical connections. The fact that you say you only get analog though is a very big clue. To get digital audio from the dvd player you need to do a few things:

1. You need to 'assign' the optical 1 input to the dvd selector on the receiver. This is done in the setup menu. Receivers come with default assignments and its possible that the optical 1 input is assigned to another input, like cd, by default. By assigning optical 1 to the dvd input, you are telling the receiver that when the dvd input is selected, get the digital audio from the optical 1 input.

2. On many receivers, you also need to tell it the preferred format - analog, digital, or auto. I think HK is like other receivers and by default it is set to 'auto' which means let the receiver detect the type of signal and choose accordingly. When on auto, and both analaog and digital signals are present, it will choose the digital signal. In order for this to work properly, the assignment (#1 above) must be correct.

3. In the dvd player setup menu, you need to set DD/DTS to 'bitstream', NOT PCM - this is what Duffinator was getting at when he said you need to tell the dvd player to output a digital signal. If it is set to PCM, the dvd player will do the decoding of DD/DTS to 2 channel analog instead of the receiver and because you have made the analog connections to the receiver too you will get 2 channel analog to the receiver (you can then get 5.1 using PLII or DTS:Neo surround modes).

So to recap: assign optical 1 to the dvd input, make sure the signal format is set to auto, and make sure the dvd player is set to bitstream. The receiver will automatically detect the DD signal and switch to the Dolby Digital decoder and you will have DD 5.1.

The cable box is the same deal - make the assignments on the receiver and make sure the cable box output is set to output digital audio. On the SciAtlanta 3100 remote, press menu twice and scroll down to audio:digital out. Set it to Dolby Digital not 'other'. The way that box works (I have a 3100HD) is that both analog and digital outs are active at the same time and because not all channels have digital audio, you need both the digital and analog connections to the receiver (as you do). When the receiver's assignments are set properly and the format is 'auto' it will automatically switch between analog and digital depending on what type of signal is being sent by the box.

Duffinator

Duffinator

MDS has it right. Don't connect your analog inputs, you don't need them. Make sure you have the correct input selected on the receiver and make sure the rest of the digital inputs do not have anything selected. If you can't get the proper digital sound out of the DVD player something is wrong with the receiver.

Mr. Lamb Fries

Mr. Lamb Fries

Full Audioholic
Thanks for your help guys...Ive spent the last two days doing all the above. I am gonna wait to get a reply from Harmanaudio. Hopefully on Tuesday. Ill See what thay have to say. I spoke with a local B & M shop and their Service tech, after he walked me through all the possible configurations, suggested i send it back. He wasnt familiar with that model but seemed to know all the possible set ups. I was Hoping I had missed something or set something wrong. looks like Ill wait it out through the weekend.
if you have any more long shot Ideas...Please let me know.
Have a good Holiday!!!
Coops

zipper

zipper

Full Audioholic
In the words of Joe Pesci ....."I guess the f*****n thing is busted".

It does sound like a bad processor. Had a friend who had similar problem with a Yammy right out of the box.

Mr. Lamb Fries

Mr. Lamb Fries

Full Audioholic
LOL...great quote
I found a local store that said they would honor the warranty. I hope it it isnt some ploy to get me in there and slap me with a big bill!! At the price i paid for it, I guess i deserve a few hassles.

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
Coop,

I found that local authorized service centers will always ask you to send in the unit, otherwise they don't make a dime. Call Harman Direct at 516-682-6438 Tuesday (hopefully you have minutes on a cell phone) and speak with a tech (not a csr rep). They lose money if you send the unit in for service, and will work harder to correct the issue over the phone. I had some learning curves with my Denon, and found the Denon tech number was much more helpful than any local service centers that work on many different types of units.

Have you tried unhooking all your components, resetting the processor, and testing one component at a time? Does the cd player work with a digital coax as well as rca's? How about just hooking the dvd player up via coax and nothing else?

Mr. Lamb Fries

Mr. Lamb Fries

Full Audioholic
Whats up Buckeye-
Ive reset the processor three times now. Ive started from scratch four. Hooked up everything one at a time then tried every configuration the remote and face plate would let me. I also went through, step by step, MDS's & Duffinators suggestions. The one thing I find bizzar is even in analog I cant get it to play in three speaker mode or 5 channel stereo mode. the ONLY way i can get sound, for both cable and dvd is when its set to analog and no surround.
Ive noticed that on the speaker/channel indicators display, (little boxes on the front that show the speaker set up) that whenever i have anythig OTHER than analog/no surround set for the input, The L & R continuously blink inside the front (L/R) boxes. In the manual it states that this is due to an outside source when the bitstream is interupted... "through no fault of the ARV 7200" (they so boldly state!) I have tried seting up my dvd player in every audio configuration possible. I would consider this being the problem but I cant get anything fom my digital cable box. also i cant get 3 speaker mode or 5 channel stereo in analog. If there is anything else you can think of please let me know.
Thanks once again for all your help. I looked everywhere for a phone number so i can speak with a REAL PERSON but all numbers seem to direct me to an automated menu. That gets me so frustrated. all I want to do is talk to someone who knows this product and make sure I'm not setting it up wrong. That way I send it in and let them fix the problem. I would rather slam my hand in the car door than deal with the automated customer service department!!!! Cost effective for them...Frustration for us!!!
On that note, have a great 4th
Coops

Last edited:
rikmeister

rikmeister

Audioholic
harman direct may be down for two weeks that may be why you cannot get through. it

says on ebay if you buy anything that you will not hear from until like 14 july. so maybe there is a summer shutdown at harman .

Mr. Lamb Fries

Mr. Lamb Fries

Full Audioholic
Just my luck!!! Hope i can reach someone in the service department on Tuesday.

surveyor

surveyor

Audioholic Chief
coops said:
Just my luck!!! Hope i can reach someone in the service department on Tuesday.
Coops, just a thought.
What is the sleep timer set at on your 7200?
It's an outside shot, but it could possibly the problem.
surveyor :rolleyes:

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
This is a real long shot, but my Circuit City used to carry the 7200, and a few guys there seemed to know quite a bit about it. That was a few years ago, and I'm sure the staff has turned over a few times. You may try your local CC, and see if any reps there are familiar with the unit.

Another idea is to email a few of these guys (22 reviews) and share your problem with them. Someone has got to email you back. I'm sure a few of them may have had similar glitches or issues. If they took the time to write a review, I'd think they'd take the time to respond to someone who's read it.
www.audioreview.com/cat/amplification/a-v-receivers/harman-kardon/PRD_171676_2718crx.aspx

Takeereasy

Takeereasy

Audioholic General
I'm sorry to hear about your trouble coops. I'm sure everything will get worked out soon. Are you close to that authorized repair center? If you are at least that will take some of the sting out of it. I don't have any suggestions that haven't already been given, I wish I could be of some more help.

Mr. Lamb Fries

Mr. Lamb Fries

Full Audioholic
Takeereasy-yeah kind of sux but its not the end of the word. I just have to wait to see what Harmanaudio says. I would rather not ship it out but if need be, I will. One bonus is through all this trouble shooting, I have learned the Unit and remote inside and out. I am sure this will help when all the wrinkles are ironed out.

All this hassle is starting to make me rethink my previous A-stock, B-stock theory's. On the flip side...even if I have to pay to ship it out, It will be around $600 for the Unit. Still not a bad deal! (Assuming that is the end of my problems)
The "primere" repair center is 5 1/2 hrs away so it will need shipping. I have checked with a few local shops. one of them said they will honor the warranty. Because of the holiday weekend, I have had some trouble getting to speak with a real person. I have to wait till its business as usual. I am sure I will get some answers then.

Surveyer-

Sleep timer is off. I have checked EVERY configuration Possible.

thanks for all your suggestions.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis