Sony STRDG- 800 Sound Problems

Pwner_2130

Pwner_2130

Audioholic
Hey guys,
I was wondering if anybody can help me. I own a sony str-dg800 av receiver, and recently i noticed that the sound output from DVDs is muffled. When i switch the input to my PS3, for example, the amplifier sounds normal. My 5 disc sony dvd player is connected to my amp through a digital coax cable, and when i listen to a cd with the same dvd player, it sounds fine, the problem only occurs while playing a DVD...please let me know what you think may be causing this.

apatel25314

apatel25314

Audioholic
it may be an internal volume control for dvd's on the dvd player, or it may just be that surround is not as loud as 2channel

Pwner_2130

Pwner_2130

Audioholic
When i enjoyed the Matrix revolutions in Dolby Pro IIx last week I had the volume at only 30 on the amp and it was loud enough to be heard clearly, but two days ago when i was watching We Were Soldiers i noticed the dialogue and the surround effects were muffled. I had the volume at 40 and it sounded terrible.
I popped in braveheart to see if it was the disc, but braveheart also seemed....quiet. I put Aerosmith on using the same DVD player, and the sound was great, like it was last week...I checked the DVD player for vol limiter, and it has none. What do you mean by a center channel problem?

no. 5

no. 5

Audioholic Field Marshall
My 5 disc sony dvd player is connected to my amp through a digital coax cable
When i enjoyed the Matrix revolutions in Dolby Pro IIx last week....
This may not be the reason for the muffled sound you are experiencing with DVD’s, but I think you have a setup issue; Dolby Pro Logic IIx makes a multi-channel mix out of a stereo input, if it’s active that would mean that your receiver is not getting a multi-channel signal (like Dolby Digital, or DTS).

Pwner_2130

Pwner_2130

Audioholic
I think you're right...i noticed the blue decoding lamp was off on the amp when i was viewing we were soldiers.

I also noticed that when i popped We Were Soldiers into my PS3, and put the amp on Dolby Pro Logic IIx the blue light turned on...my PS3 is connected to my amp through the optical cable.
Do you think the problem lies in my COAX port?

obscbyclouds

obscbyclouds

Senior Audioholic
I think you're right...i noticed the blue decoding lamp was off on the amp when i was viewing we were soldiers.

I also noticed that when i popped We Were Soldiers into my PS3, and put the amp on Dolby Pro Logic IIx the blue light turned on...my PS3 is connected to my amp through the optical cable.
Do you think the problem lies in my COAX port?
Could be, or you may need to adjust the input settings to Bitstream, as opposed to PCM. It sounds like you aren't getting the proper decoding.

no. 5

no. 5

Audioholic Field Marshall
I agree with obscbyclouds, it could be a problem with the receiver, but it’s more likely that it’s a setting (or problem) in the DVD player.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis