Sony STR-DN1040 Reviewed: The $600 AVR That Could

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Too bad for you and Yvette that Dave isn't trainable.

:D

Seriously, though, I'd be willing to help - but are these the tests that require that multi-thousand dollar machine?
LOL Very true.

Yes, I use a $40k APx585 HDMI Audio Analyzer. Interpreting the measurements is the challenge as most people simply will blindly make a measurement but may not understand what it means or if it was done correctly. I prefer having someone with an EE background. My wife's cousin is the perfect candidate but he lives in South America :( I tried a local grad student but it didn't get very far. Still searching...

anamorphic96

anamorphic96

Audioholic General
Measurements from Sound&Vision look pretty good.

There's an interview I read about a while back where they talk about the complete redesign of this line of receivers. Can't seem to locate it right now but I will post a link if I find it. I was pretty impressed, and it does not surprise me these receivers are doing well.

Sony STR-DN1040 AV Receiver | Sound & Vision

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I wish I could find someone local and trainable to do amplifier measurements for us. With my time being more limited daily, this has become increasingly more challenging. I just hired a new marketing person to help free up my time, fingers crossed, so I can head this up again.
I wish I could be local :) Not just for any AH related purposes, but just live in FL :) This whole snow thing is very annoying

M

mlawdawg

Audiophyte
Dn1040 vs da1800es?

Your review of dn1040 puts it higher multichannel audio than da1800es. Why is that when I thought ES line is supposed to be better?

I'm finally looking to replace my marantz avr 7400, an ancient 7.1 receiver.
Recommendations?
I considered marantz 1604 "slimline" but worried about low (70) watts per chan.
Thx.

Cliff_is

Cliff_is

Audioholics Content Manager
Your review of dn1040 puts it higher multichannel audio than da1800es. Why is that when I thought ES line is supposed to be better?

I'm finally looking to replace my marantz avr 7400, an ancient 7.1 receiver.
Recommendations?
I considered marantz 1604 "slimline" but worried about low (70) watts per chan.
Thx.
The ratings are based off of price. So, a $500 product with a 4/5 on a rating is not the same quality as a $1000 product with the same rating.

The ES line is more expensive, but not everything is better. Each receiver needs to be considered individually.

Also, the wattage you need is dependent on a number of factors, primarily the sensitivity of the speakers you are driving. I'd suggest starting a new thread if you are shopping for a new receiver. People are usually happy to help. Good luck!

G

Goliath

Full Audioholic
The Sony 1040 is probably one of the best value performers currently available, in my opinion.

I know this is off-topic, but could you guys please post bench results for the Denon X4000 receiver? I've been dying to see what it can do, and each time I look at your review I find no measurements.

Pretty please? ;)

K

kcwilsonii

Audiophyte
SACD/DSD content

Noticed you used an Oppo to playback the Norah Jones cd, was that an SACD?
Did you test any DSD content?

I am looking to replace my Yamaha receiver due to some issues with HDMI handshaking with my OPPO.
Delays in figuring out what seems to be a 3d signal being passed to it. I almost always aim for sound quality
on these amps and want to make sure this could handle DSD via HDMI in bitstream format (not LPCM) and if there are any HDMI
issues ( which I have seen several complaints about online).

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis