Sony removing 1300+ shows from peoples PURCHASED content library

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
What’s funny is that this s#%t is nothing new. But, most don’t know or care about it much until it affects them. I got over the media access lost when Microsoft pulled media access from items that I’d purchased. That was over ten years ago. Life goes on.

Now, I was wrong about the seller and buyer info. The seller has the rights to content for sale and the buyer purchases a license to view the content, but don’t actually own it. At least, that is what is stated in Sony’s terms. You know, the terms nobody actually reads before purchase.
IMG_4375.jpeg

jinjuku

jinjuku

The bottom line is that if you hit the buy button and are able to transcode that content... Well there hasn't been a case to wind it's way through the U.S judicial system where a legit customer has been named a defendant.

jinjuku

jinjuku

What’s funny is that this s#%t is nothing new. But, most don’t know or care about it much until it affects them. I got over the media access lost when Microsoft pulled media access from items that I’d purchased. That was over ten years ago. Life goes on.

Now, I was wrong about the seller and buyer info. The seller has the rights to content for sale and the buyer purchases a license to view the content, but don’t actually own it. At least, that is what is stated in Sony’s terms. You know, the terms nobody actually reads before purchase.
View attachment 64622
When you buy a DVD you don't own the movie. You've purchased a personal use copy as governed by copyright. That's a license also. Remember the terms may not be legal and would need to be challenged.

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
When you buy a DVD you don't own the movie. You've purchased a personal use copy as governed by copyright. That's a license also. Remember the terms may not be legal and would need to be challenged.
As long as you have the DVD you can play it and even give/sell it if you want to. Your friends can borrow it from you as well.

That is not something that you can do with much of the digital content you “buy” online.

jinjuku

jinjuku

As long as you have the DVD you can play it and even give/sell it if you want to. Your friends can borrow it from you as well.

That is not something that you can do with much of the digital content you “buy” online.
DVD is just a high lag, high bandwidth, long persistence delivery mechanism. With the right tools you can ensure you have a backup of your purchased content

jinjuku

jinjuku

People don't understand that Copyright actually supersedes any licensing or ToS that you think companies can bind you to.

Bottom line is there hasn't been a court case where a rights holder has taken a legitimate purchaser to court for trans-coding the content they've purchased. Regardless of the agreement that you think people have signed, a purchase is a purchase and it comes with rights and affirmative defenses available.

Walmart had a music service and shuttered it. But they also told their customers how to retain a copy on their own local storage. This should be no different and I would certainly avail myself as a purchaser tools that protect me. Because Sony ain't gonna do it.

jinjuku

jinjuku

I’m not sure you understand, though.
I understand that you think and terms and conditions that a company gets a consumer to shrinkwrap agree to is 100% ironclad and in-assailable in court.

F

fmw

Audioholic Ninja
"Lease" aka renting I agree is what they are saying. However, if I no longer have access to content that I "own" the license to, then you owe me money back because you cannot provide it to me any longer. If you can no longer provide access to a "service" I paid for, then you have broken the agreement.
Careful, you are allowing your common sense to show. ;)

jinjuku

jinjuku

Careful, you are allowing your common sense to show. ;)
Some people think that you can shrink wrap license one rights away (like first sale doctrine). Common sense isn't so common.

At least when I sold some particular software you were told you were getting perpetual license, that you get an activation key, back it up and protect it, and if you wanted to sell your copy you could but someone would have to pay to have the license updated to reflect the new legal entity using it or it would keep the same name and address until you did.

Then we went to a web based solution vs the local installed on prem and didn't call it a purchase. We called it a subscription.

isolar8001

isolar8001

Audioholic General
Walmart had a music service and shuttered it. But they also told their customers how to retain a copy on their own local storage. This should be no different and I would certainly avail myself as a purchaser tools that protect me. Because Sony ain't gonna do it.
Just remember, this is Sony we are talking about...a company that has purposely gimped their last three consoles to deter piracy.
If you know of a way to get around their measures for those that would like at least some option to save their content, share at least a hint on how to do it and what to use.
I sure don't know of one, and I sail the seven seas daily.

jinjuku

jinjuku

Just remember, this is Sony we are talking about...a company that has purposely gimped their last three consoles to deter piracy.
If you know of a way to get around their measures for those that would like at least some option to save their content, share at least a hint on how to do it and what to use.
I sure don't know of one, and I sail the seven seas daily.
The thread is about video content. I've never been a gamer for a myriad of reasons and I tend not to get on treadmill services if I can avoid it.

isolar8001

isolar8001

Audioholic General
The thread is about video content. I've never been a gamer for a myriad of reasons and I tend not to get on treadmill services if I can avoid it.
Uh...not talking about gaming.
You have stated there is a way for those using purchased video content on their Playstation consoles to save their video content.
I sure don't have the first clue on how they could do this.
Years ago ripping SACD's on the PS3 was possible....a real pain, but possible.

jinjuku

jinjuku

Uh...not talking about gaming.
You have stated there is a way for those using purchased video content on their Playstation consoles to save their video content.
I sure don't have the first clue on how they could do this.
Years ago ripping SACD's on the PS3 was possible....a real pain, but possible.
I would tell you to hit Reddit.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
This is why I've never bought a digital copy of anything, ever... Well, okay, I've bought some mp3 files that I could download to my computer. But, then I had actual copies on my computer.

Seriously, I get how frustrating this whole scenario is. Yes, I think it is potentially open to a class action lawsuit if the term 'buy' was involved in the nomenclature. The licensing agreement is what consumers would need to challenge and would need to make clear that 'license' and loss of that license, was not clearly spelled out in a way that would make it clear exactly what was being purchased.

Yes, having a digital copy on your computer is much safer than hoping to be able to stream something when you want to. This isn't easy for everyone to figure out, even though it is rather easy to do and setup. Plex, in the home, can take under an hour to follow a tutorial on setting up, and then the players are built into most televisions and almost all streaming devices like Roku, Apple TV, Fire TV, etc.

I can't believe anyone is shocked by this though. This has been the argument by those who love physical media for years and years. If you don't have a physical copy, then you don't own it. This is almost laughable that anyone would be surprised by this. Because it IS laughable. It's a massive "What did you expect?" to those impacted.

Not that this is good. It's not good. It's just not, in any way, a shock to those who have seen people ignore physical media in favor of convenience.

I hope it goes to court. I hope they (Sony) lose. But, if Sony doesn't lose, or it doesn't go to court, then this will just keep repeating itself over and over and over.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
So, Sony should sell content for which it no longer has the right? Would that not make them bootleggers like so many that sell content for which they do not have the right? Buyers should get a full refund of content they've viewed countless times? Sure, a class action may make its way to the courts. It'll go on for years and, if anything is awarded, those who had content removed from their library might see a coupon for the PSN store or might get cash of about five bucks. Hardly worth all the fuss. Why is Warner off the hook here? "But I didn't read the terms, your honor. Doesn't the law protect me from myself?";)

jinjuku

jinjuku

So, Sony should sell content for which it no longer has the right? Would that not make them bootleggers like so many that sell content for which they do not have the right? Buyers should get a full refund of content they've viewed countless times? Sure, a class action may make its way to the courts. It'll go on for years and, if anything is awarded, those who had content removed from their library might see a coupon for the PSN store or might get cash of about five bucks. Hardly worth all the fuss. Why is Warner off the hook here? "But I didn't read the terms, your honor. Doesn't the law protect me from myself?";)
Sony shouldn't sell anything that they can't actually sell. Don't put up a 'buy' button. Call something else. In the past 100 years, English language is grown by 85,000 words. I think we can find one for this.

Yes buyers should get a full refund so they can find an alternate medium that doesn't bend them over and duck them. So they can continue to watch it countless times. Just got back from travel and took my remuxed movies with me on my tablet. Can't tell you how many times I've watched Hunt for Red October or empire strikes back or Lord of the rings were Mash or whatever.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
So, folks should be aloud all of the views before the content was pulled for free? No "rental" charge? Some folks want to have their cake and eat it, too. There are lots of outfits "selling" content to "buyers" who have not read the terms of purchase. Sony is hardly alone in this practice.

Now, digital purchase miracles do happen from time to time. I did purchase a movie from Apple. Oh, yes, that bad Apple. They didn't charge me immediately and the charge showed up many days later and f#%ked up my billing cycle. I'm in the fortunate position to be able to pay off my credit cards each and every month. I don't like folks f#%king with my billing arrangements. I told Apple as much and received a full refund of the purchase price and the movie was pulled from my library after I watched it. So, I actually did get to have my cake and eat it, too. Yes, it was delicious.;)

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis