Sony removing 1300+ shows from peoples PURCHASED content library

jinjuku

jinjuku

So, folks should be aloud all of the views before the content was pulled for free? No "rental" charge?
There was no rental charge. The button says 'BUY' or 'PURCHASE'. Believe it or not some words have actual legal meaning and rights certainly conferred.

Some folks want to have their cake and eat it, too. There are lots of outfits "selling" content to "buyers" who have not read the terms of purchase. Sony is hardly alone in this practice.
Some folks just want what they purchased. Again the English language grew by 85,000 words the last 100 years. They can use another word on that button they paste on their website.

I just make sure I purchase physical media and remux it to a file that I can keep in perpetuity. I've certainly had a disc deteriorate. The disc is just a delivery mechanism. The content is what I actually paid for.

You aren't buying the glass your beer came in. You are buying the beer.

jinjuku

jinjuku

Why is Warner off the hook here? "But I didn't read the terms, your honor. Doesn't the law protect me from myself?";)
Here's where I will agree with you: If there is a 27 page long TOS to purchase a streaming title you should consider your options.

Piracy exists because it ultimately offers a better customer experience.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Well, Priracy exists because some folks are just f#%kin' thieves. Some turn to theft out of desperation. But, I digress. The "Buy" button should be changed to "Buy Viewing License." Then, everything concerning the license should be listed below it rather than having to go find the terms and then scroll down them for days. Most people don't know or even care about just what it is they are agreeing to when "buying" digital media. They just want to start watching it immediately after the button click.

Now, I will say that of all of the companies out there, Sony really is the one that should be doing it all better than everybody else but always seems to be playing catch up. They make Apple look good, lol. They produce TVs, PlayStation's, AVRs, disc players, speakers, movies, TV shows and music. They just can't seem to get it all together and they really should be doing it better than everybody else at this point if they want to stay in the game at all. Playstation purchases and Spiderman rights aren't going to keep them afloat forever.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
So, folks should be aloud all of the views before the content was pulled for free? No "rental" charge? Some folks want to have their cake and eat it, too.
Nope! Not at all what is even being discussed.

If the content was SOLD to an end user, then revoking that permanent license to watch the movie should have a penalty to the company that sold it to the purchaser.

This isn't a 'rental' that has recurring charges. That's not what was SOLD. It wasn't a 'you can have free rentals of this movie', it was a 'you purchased the right to view this movie forever'. Maybe somewhere, it states "as long as we actually have the rights to show it" associated with it, but that's the real question of what a reasonable person expects when they see the word 'BUY" being used.

Yes, people want to be able to eat the cake that they purchased. If you go to a store, and they promise to sell you a cake, and you pay for the cake, and then you show up, and there is no cake... Well, what the hell do you think that store can then say? "Sorry, we no longer have the rights to sell you that cake. So, we are going to keep your money and you get no cake."

That's not how it works. At all.

There are tons of ways this could be resolved. One way is when Sony's licensing deal for the content ends, any licenses to end user's to watch movies will transfer to the company that now has the rights to show the movies. They are taking over the responsibility of fulfilling the terms of the licensed agreement. Another option would be for Sony to refund money to the end users. Another is for Sony to offer a credit for purchases of other content on their platform. Another would be to offer a physical copy of the media be sent to all end users so they would have that available to them.

I'm not sure I understand why you think that purchasing a product comes with an expiration date of ownership. That's not typical, and would completely rewrite the definition of the term 'purchase'. There may be ways in which Sony did make it completely clear that this was not a purchase, but short of that, then I hope this goes to court and that companies are held liable for their poor use of words. This is very anti-consumer.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Sony has their terms, like everybody else. Folks just need to f#%kin’ read em.’ It matters not what I or anybody else thinks about it. Sony and its third party affiliates set their terms. If they are unlawful, they will be dealt with at a snail’s pace and folks can wait an eternity for meager compensation.

Again, not saying any of this is “fair” or “right” but for f#%k’s sake, it’s all there for folks to f#%kin’ read! Is it lawful? That remains to be seen but nobody should expect any kind of “fair” payout, ever.
IMG_4377.jpeg

IMG_4378.jpeg

IMG_4379.jpeg

jinjuku

jinjuku

Your example is why I think there needs to be an adjustment to the laws covering UCC to simply make the 'Buy' and 'Purchase' button go away if you aren't getting into a common sense purchase arrangement.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Sony has their terms, like everybody else. Folks just need to f#%kin’ read em.’ It matters not what I or anybody else thinks about it. Sony and its third party affiliates set their terms. If they are unlawful, they will be dealt with at a snail’s pace and folks can wait an eternity for meager compensation.

Again, not saying any of this is “fair” or “right” but for f#%k’s sake, it’s all there for folks to f#%kin’ read! Is it lawful? That remains to be seen but nobody should expect any kind of “fair” payout, ever.
I just bought a car. They put in the fine print that if I no longer pay for OnStar, they can take my car away and I will have no compensation that I should expect. It's buried on page 79 of the ownership agreement. Yeah, that makes sense.

This is buried and they are using the term 'buy' or 'purchase' instead of 'lease' or 'long term rental', or something that would, upfront, indicate that the license is clearly revocable.

This was marketed as a purchase. This was marketed as a 'buy'. This is a typical corporation trying to NOT be held accountable for things. Yes, I think it's illegal. I think they are screwing over their customers. Yes, I think there should be a class action lawsuit, and yes, I would be thrilled if they lose. Them simply writing what the terms are, and having it buried in an agreement that next to nobody reads, but putting it alongside the words "BUY" or "PURCHASE" immediately invalidates those terms.

It's not a purchase. It's a long term rental.

If this goes to court, and they DO lose, then it would show that their 'terms' are actually illegal and meant to confuse consumers.

This is the balance of 'big government' vs. 'small government'. I would be happy to have fewer laws regarding this type of thing, but the second a company finds a loophole, they exploit it to screw over the consumer. If they aren't called to task, then this is exactly the result.

One of my preferences, is that the right to view actually must be transferred to the new company. If they are revoking from Sony their license to show and sell, they must still honor sales which have been previously made.

But, I do agree, that whatever payout happens with consumers would take a long time. The point being that if there was a payout, and it was made clear that this activity is illegal, then it might actually protect consumers from this type of predatory behavior. Until they do something else to screw over consumers.

Until then... There's always Pirate Bay. :D

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
A pay out will only occur if an applicable law was violated. While everybody is worked up over Sony, it’s business as usual at Microsoft. I’m over it. If you are mad as hell, call your congressman and stop replying to my posts.
IMG_4390.jpeg

IMG_4387.jpeg

IMG_4388.jpeg

IMG_4389.jpeg

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis