Sony chief warns PS3 will be "expensive"

Tsunamii

Tsunamii

Full Audioholic
I think the problem with the gamespot rational as why it will not be expensive does not hold water. The article you are sighting was published before Ken's statement.

""I'm aware that with all these technologies, the PS3 can't be offered at a price that's targeted towards households."... How will blueray be in all of these homes if it is not even targeting a mass audience?
That being said Ken's statement just does not make since, why would they not market to the household average joe user? Though he did say it.
After forking over $500 for the x360 (with a few games etc), most parents are going to be very wary of putting up allot more for another game system 6-9 months later.
Hey I want both of them, so I hope the price is not through the roof. Why Sony would try and scare people off I just can figure out. They are going to have to come out with firm pricing before the launch of the X360 to stay in the game and not have people spooked off. IMHO

Spiffyfast

Spiffyfast

Audioholic General
Clint DeBoer said:
Something everyone forgets is that Microsoft is willing to lose money or at least just break even on sales in order to grab marketshare - especially if they can put someone out of business in the process.

If I didn't know any better I'd say that initial report was authored by Microsoft; it is so ridiculous and short-sighted.

I think Sony may be in a state of confusion and they are scrambling to try and prep their stockholders from panicking when they are summarily "leapfrogged" by the Xbox 360 upon its release (in theory) this Christmas.
Clint's exactly right, even on the original Xbox I read somewhere that Microsoft loses something like $80 on every one sold. They do this to gain marketshare and get the Microsoft name into more and more homes and dont really care about the profit on the console, they get a portion of all the money for each game sold and thats where the real money is, how many ppl have one xbox, but 20 games for it?

N

no man

Audioholic
Sony's made some really retarded decisions, most of you agree with this, and the 10 year thing....no, not going to happen. They're using new untested technology thats probably going to skrew it up worse than xbox when it first came out (crashing and freezing all the time). so they're not going to target the average household...by far their most stupid decision..ever.

who's gonna buy it? a few people who scrapped enough money up and then what..the xbox 360 is gonna trample all over the ps3. some of the features of the ps3 are really pointless, like how it can support 2 1018p tv's..on average how many people own two 1018p tv's and have them in the same room...not many. the controllers really push me away from it...they're god damn boomerangs..

but what about the Nintendo Revolution?? will it be a silent killer and destroy both of the systems? no one talks about it (mostly due to the lack of information) but so far all i know is that its going to run on normal sized disks and its going to have a triple core processor...if anyone can give me more deets on it..please do

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
I heard the new Nintendo system will allow you to download games off the internet for all Nintendo systems for as little as $10 a pop. If thats true, I think I will be getting one myself. My only problem is when will I find time to actually play them :rolleyes:

N

no man

Audioholic
gene said:
I heard the new Nintendo system will allow you to download games off the internet for all Nintendo systems for as little as $10 a pop. If thats true, I think I will be getting one myself. My only problem is when will I find time to actually play them :rolleyes:
yea you can but they're only letting you download snes and some n64 games, some for free
ps3'll let you download some ps1 games but for a price and the selection is small

N

no man

Audioholic
honestly, how many of you truely feel that the ps3 will be more popular than the xbox 360, and that it will out sell it?

J

Jedi2016

Full Audioholic
no man said:
honestly, how many of you truely feel that the ps3 will be more popular than the xbox 360, and that it will out sell it?
*raises hand* I do. Playstation has dominated for ten years straight. There's no reason whatsoever to believe that they won't continue to do the same.

It's quite obvious that you maintain some sort of bitter hatred of Sony or Playstation or both, but the simple fact is that PS1 and PS2 dominated not because of the technology, but because of the games. And contrary to what some people think, PS3 will still have the games. Only this time, it'll have the games and the technology. Seems a sure way to victory as far as I can see.

So, why do you think that Sony won't continue with tradition? The Xbox already failed to capture the market, what makes you so sure they'll be able to do it this time? Last time, at least they had the more powerful hardware.. this time, even that advantage is gone. The only advantage they have at the moment is that they're launching first. Which is meaningless, really. PS1 and PS2 weren't first to market, either. Sega tried going up against Sony two generations in a row, and look where they are now. Do you really think Microsoft will be happy being second-best, losing money hand over fist generation after generation? I predict that, if Xbox360 doesn't dominate this generation, if they again come in second, and if they again show nothing but red on the quarterly reports, that Microsoft will bow out of the hardware market altogether.

Rob Babcock

Rob Babcock

gene said:
As little as $10 a pop?! :eek: I think that price is ludicrous for ancient games that raked in their billions a decade ago. I think even charging for them is almost too much- I'd rather see a subscription, or even a good sized database of games served gratis. I don't begrudge a company making a buck, but does anyone remember back when consoles actually came with a game or two? Since those games are essentially "bought and paid for" many times over, why not make them available as an added value for what looks to be a technically very inferior console, vs the Sony & MS machines, instead of another feeble grab for the cash? That would get me to buy a Revolution.

Duffinator

Duffinator

Audioholic Field Marshall
Jedi2016 said:
*raises hand* I do. Playstation has dominated for ten years straight. There's no reason whatsoever to believe that they won't continue to do the same.

It's quite obvious that you maintain some sort of bitter hatred of Sony or Playstation or both, but the simple fact is that PS1 and PS2 dominated not because of the technology, but because of the games. And contrary to what some people think, PS3 will still have the games. Only this time, it'll have the games and the technology. Seems a sure way to victory as far as I can see.

So, why do you think that Sony won't continue with tradition? The Xbox already failed to capture the market, what makes you so sure they'll be able to do it this time? Last time, at least they had the more powerful hardware.. this time, even that advantage is gone. The only advantage they have at the moment is that they're launching first. Which is meaningless, really. PS1 and PS2 weren't first to market, either. Sega tried going up against Sony two generations in a row, and look where they are now. Do you really think Microsoft will be happy being second-best, losing money hand over fist generation after generation? I predict that, if Xbox360 doesn't dominate this generation, if they again come in second, and if they again show nothing but red on the quarterly reports, that Microsoft will bow out of the hardware market altogether.
Your first comment can easily be applied to Sony's dominance in the TV market, something they no longer dominate, along with a host of other products. I don't think it's a sure bet by any stretch. So their tradition has been dominate a market and let it slip by making poor marketing decisions and not staying up with technology. Will that apply to the PS3? Only time will tell but the X Box did take market share from someone and certainly many who purchased the X Box would have purchased a PS2 had the X Box not been around.

Rob Babcock

Rob Babcock

The figures show that most of the market gains made by the Xbox were at the expense of Nintendo, not Sony. MS has gained some ground lately, and the Cube is pretty much on the ropes.

N

no man

Audioholic
i don't have a bitter hatred for sony, i just favor xbox 360 over ps3, i dont mind ps2, although i prefer xbox over it because of their game selection and controllers.

N

no man

Audioholic
Rob Babcock said:
The figures show that most of the market gains made by the Xbox were at the expense of Nintendo, not Sony. MS has gained some ground lately, and the Cube is pretty much on the ropes.
gamecube has failed out right and from the start. they made too many promises, the system is capable but nintendo failed to act. gamecube has an online capability, but there are only four or five games that can be played online, and you have to buy the online things seperatly from the system.

N

no man

Audioholic
i think sony and ms gained at the loss of nintendo, agh and i can only sell my cube for $5..how unfair..

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis