Sony BDP-300 Sound Quality

walter duque

walter duque

Audioholic Samurai
I own the Sony BDP-300 which is an entry level BRP. What puzzels me is that when I listend to music it's not as good as my 9 year old Nakamichi DVD 10S. It was my impression that these BRP have superior sound quality. Is it because it's an entry level model? Do more expensive players have better sound quality. When I watch movies I really can't tell the difference. Should I upgrade my Sony? I rather have one unit that does it all. Don't have much space on my rack. If so-which one at a reasonable price?

bandphan

bandphan

Banned
I own the Sony BDP-300 which is an entry level BRP. What puzzels me is that when I listend to music it's not as good as my 9 year old Nakamichi DVD 10S. It was my impression that these BRP have superior sound quality. Is it because it's an entry level model? Do more expensive players have better sound quality. When I watch movies I really can't tell the difference. Should I upgrade my Sony? I rather have one unit that does it all. Don't have much space on my rack. If so-which one at a reasonable price?
Where is the D/A conversion happening? And is rhe PRE doing upsampling?

M

MatthewB.

Audioholic General
I had the 300 and gave it my folks when I upgraded to the 350. I feel the 350 had better sound but that was because the 350 allowed bitstreaming and my Denon 3808 did a better job at processing the sound than my 300 with PCM. I guess I should ask how you have your 300 setup (optical or HDMI) and how you are processing two channel stereo if either the player or the reciever. If using bistream (which the 300 can do for stereo sources) than the reciever is decoding the sound, if PCM than the player is doing the decoding. Tryit both ways to see if you notice a change in sound quality.

walter duque

walter duque

Audioholic Samurai
I had the 300 and gave it my folks when I upgraded to the 350. I feel the 350 had better sound but that was because the 350 allowed bitstreaming and my Denon 3808 did a better job at processing the sound than my 300 with PCM. I guess I should ask how you have your 300 setup (optical or HDMI) and how you are processing two channel stereo if either the player or the reciever. If using bistream (which the 300 can do for stereo sources) than the reciever is decoding the sound, if PCM than the player is doing the decoding. Tryit both ways to see if you notice a change in sound quality.
Input is optical to processor, HDMI to display.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I'll try that. Thanks
I hope you will find one selection that works for you. The possibility is there that it may not sound near as good as your CD player, but the odds for that to happen are low.

Of my 10 (11 but one died) media players, only one sound significantly worse than my vintage once top of the line Kenwood CD player (weighs 22 lbs). Even that one plays DD/DTS fine, just sucks playing CDs.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis