Someone clarify the PS3's HD Audio Formats

D

Disturbed932

Enthusiast
which hd audio formats does it support and decode itself>

if it does decode the hd audio, do I bitsream or use linear pcm on the ps3's settings, if my receiver is a sony HT-SS2300 which doesnt have the on-board decoders?

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
The PS3 supports all of the new audio formats, and it decodes them internally as it can not bitstream them. However, it can bitstream standard dolby digital and dts. Just set the PS3 to pcm for everything and be done with it. When watching a movie, press the select button to bring up the menu, and look at the top of the screen to verify what audio stream is being outputted, and you can see it say dolby TrueHD or dts hd master auido or whatever.

dobyblue

dobyblue

Senior Audioholic
Depends on your connection.

Set HDMI to PCM
Set Optical to bitstream

You can only get HD audio codecs decoded to multi-channel PCM through HDMI.

D

Disturbed932

Enthusiast
The PS3 supports all of the new audio formats, and it decodes them internally as it can not bitstream them. However, it can bitstream standard dolby digital and dts. Just set the PS3 to pcm for everything and be done with it. When watching a movie, press the select button to bring up the menu, and look at the top of the screen to verify what audio stream is being outputted, and you can see it say dolby TrueHD or dts hd master auido or whatever.
Ok. thanks that helps alot, but I have another question lol. So I got the Blu Ray situation out of the way, now on to actual PS3 games that I play(which are on blu ray discs as well). Now on the back of the game boxes, they all either have the "DOLBY DIGITAL" or the "DTS" logo on them. Does this mean the ps3 games support only the standard DD and DTS as you mentioned above? I just want to clarify this for me so I know what audio I'm listening to while playing COD:WAW, Killzone 2, Resistance 2, etc etc etc

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
The PS3 supports all the same codecs regardless of whether you are playing a movie or a game. Some games do have lossless audio in them, others don't, it just depends on what the game studio decides to implement.

M

mfitch

Audiophyte
What is really being output over Linear PCM?

I've read a lot of different opinions. It seemed as if the consensus was that True HD / DTS Master Audio was decoded in the PS3 and then sent out the HDMI cable as a Linear PCM bitstream....

this article from sony's knowledgebase makes me question that- because if the decoding happened inside the ps3, why would it matter if my receiver would support the format? wouldn't my receiver just take the "unpacked" 7.1 audio information from the ps3 and play it vs. having to decode it first?

(I can't post a url here because of my new account - but these quotes all come from the playstation dot com support site)

"The audio output format for certain Blu-ray Discs™ or DVD media can be specified depending on your display or AV amplifier (receiver).

1. Go to Settings icon (Settings) > [BD/DVD Settings].
* If the audio is being outputted via the HDMI port, select "BD/DVD Audio Output Format (HDMI)".
* If audio output is coming from the Digital Optical Out port, select "BD/DVD Audio Output Format (Optical Digital)".

2. Now to choose between "Bitstream" or "Linear PCM". Please contact the manufacturer of your display or AV amplifier (receiver) to determine which audio output that is supported by your display or AV amplifier (receiver).

For Blu-ray discs that can output in Dolby True HD and DTS Master Audio you must select Linear PCM as the Audio Output. Please note that your AV amplifier (receiver) must support Dolby True HD and DTS Master Audio."

update240
For DTS playback on DVD-Video and Blu-ray Disc media, DTS-ES and DTS 96/24 for DVD-Video and DTS-ES Matrix for Blu-ray Discs are now supported

update230

Blu-ray Disc playback now supports DTS-HD Master Audio™ and DTS-HD High Resolution Audio™ output.

Last edited by a moderator:
BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
why would it matter if my receiver would support the format? wouldn't my receiver just take the "unpacked" 7.1 audio information from the ps3 and play it vs. having to decode it first?
It is worded poorly by Sony. Your receiver merely needs to be able to handle high bandwidth audio over HDMI. I'm not sure what the bit rate is of the uncompressed True-HD/DTS-MA audio, but it's a lot more than 48khz. So, your receiver just needs to be compatible with the higher bit rate audio. Most HDMI 1.1 receivers are capable of this, but not all of them.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis