Some questions about in-wall subwoofers

Gaigebacca

Gaigebacca

Audioholic
Well... to be fair, I am a left handed writer, but I mouse righty! And I have already tried that placement... If I have about 6 more inches of space there, it might work, but as it is, there is tile infront of the fireplace, and the subwoofer hangs over onto it... and the wifey doesnt like the look that way... Women and their request for 'asthetics'....

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Well... to be fair, I am a left handed writer, but I mouse righty! And I have already tried that placement... If I have about 6 more inches of space there, it might work, but as it is, there is tile infront of the fireplace, and the subwoofer hangs over onto it... and the wifey doesnt like the look that way... Women and their request for 'asthetics'....
In that case you probably need different furniture for your equipment and TV.

Otherwise it's no sub until you move.

Gaigebacca

Gaigebacca

Audioholic
In that case you probably need different furniture for your equipment and TV.

Otherwise it's no sub until you move.
Well aren't you just a absolute, definitive, barrel of sunshine! ;-p

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Well aren't you just a absolute, definitive, barrel of sunshine! ;-p
Look at it logically. You don't want wires under the carpet. Messing with walls/ceilings in a house you don't plan to own much longer makes no sense.

So you need to have your sub next to your existing system. Now that means either getting furniture you can put the sub in, or better, getting furniture that gains you some wall space between that door and the fireplace.

If you have other ideas you're welcome to put them up. The only other solution is that your wife has to give a bit.

The other issue is that I'm not sure that sub you have will add much in the space you have and may make things worse. A sub is not the big deal it is cracked up to be anyway. That room will require a sub of the size you wife won't like and one beyond your budget.

You have limited options which is why you posted.

Gaigebacca

Gaigebacca

Audioholic
Look at it logically. You don't want wires under the carpet. Messing with walls/ceilings in a house you don't plan to own much longer makes no sense.

So you need to have your sub next to your existing system. Now that means either getting furniture you can put the sub in, or better, getting furniture that gains you some wall space between that door and the fireplace.

If you have other ideas you're welcome to put them up. The only other solution is that your wife has to give a bit.

The other issue is that I'm not sure that sub you have will add much in the space you have and may make things worse. A sub is not the big deal it is cracked up to be anyway. That room will require a sub of the size you wife won't like and one beyond your budget.

You have limited options which is why you posted.
I understand all of that, and maybe once we can upgrade to a flat panel tv, and I get a media stand for it, I can do a custom build-in of a sub in it. I have had the PSW10 out before, and it does make a difference in the room, for bas response. Also, I was just being playful with my last remark, was meant in a nice joking way, I really do appreciate your opinions thus far.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

I understand all of that, and maybe once we can upgrade to a flat panel tv, and I get a media stand for it, I can do a custom build-in of a sub in it. I have had the PSW10 out before, and it does make a difference in the room, for bas response. Also, I was just being playful with my last remark, was meant in a nice joking way, I really do appreciate your opinions thus far.
No offense taken. If you have used that sub, and it helps that is your best bet for now. Those subs do not dig that deep, and we have had quite a few reports on these forums, of very limited power handing. But may be you keep your system at a sane level.

May be you can just move the sub in when you have a movie on, that is when it will make the most difference.

Warpdrv

Warpdrv

Audioholic Ninja
Home spaces are to be used and enjoyed.
Let me guess, you are allowed to pay the bills in this house, but beyond that you get to have no say in the things you would like to enjoy while your living in it...

Thats some marriage... :rolleyes:

You like to enjoy music and movies, but are just not allowed to in your own house....

just-some-guy

just-some-guy

Audioholic Field Marshall
Let me guess, you are allowed to pay the bills in this house, but beyond that you get to have no say in the things you would like to enjoy while your living in it...

Thats some marriage... :rolleyes:

You like to enjoy music and movies, but are just not allowed to in your own house....
EXACTLY !!!

but that is if he is paying the bills. if she is paying the bills = he is SOL.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

EXACTLY !!!

but that is if he is paying the bills. if she is paying the bills = he is SOL.
That is what I was thinking. In a lot of households now the wife is the major breadwinner and climbing.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
Let me be the first to suggest a good spanking to set her straight. :)

just-some-guy

just-some-guy

Audioholic Field Marshall
In a lot of households now the wife is the major breadwinner and climbing.
indeed. and imo, that is not a bad thing. heck, i wish my wife made more than me. but, i still would not stand for waf, in my areas. while i DO NOT discount my wifes opinions and/or needs. i feel that a balance of "give & take" is in order.
and since i am the king of our castle, i have the final say. and sometimes that say is what she wants.

Gaigebacca

Gaigebacca

Audioholic
indeed. and imo, that is not a bad thing. heck, i wish my wife made more than me. but, i still would not stand for waf, in my areas. while i DO NOT discount my wifes opinions and/or needs. i feel that a balance of "give & take" is in order.
and since i am the king of our castle, i have the final say. and sometimes that say is what she wants.
Haha, well when we first bought the house, she did make more than me... but now we make the same amount. And for the most part, as far as the decoration of the house, it is a mix and match of our tastes, with the exception of our one guest room (it is purple and frilly... not exactly my personal tastes...)

I just decided to wait some more, and when we can finally upgrade our TV to a flat panel display, I will just get a media stand, and build in a sub into that, so it will not be "visible" but still be there... Should be an interesting build too...

Warpdrv

Warpdrv

Audioholic Ninja
Good Call.... build a tastefully done well hidden scenario..

Dual Opposed 15 or 18's as an entertainment console...

Would be awesome... me thinks...

Gaigebacca

Gaigebacca

Audioholic
It is a very open floor plan, the total 'open' space is probably in the area of 1200 sq ft or so...

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis