Some questions about in-wall subwoofers

Gaigebacca

Gaigebacca

Audioholic
I have a serious WAF issue when it comes to subwoofers... my current "home theater" is our living room... All of my equipment is in my sig, but the wifey will not allow the Polk Sub that I currently have to actually be used, as she doesn't "see any place she is ok with it staying"... So I have begun looking at some in-wall subs. I just want something to fill in the low-end for now, doesn't have to be earth-shattering or anything... But was thinking about a couple of these guys:

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=302-486

But I know since these guys are not self powered, what else would I need in order to get them up and going? I have no experience with external powered subs, and don't have a clue as to where to look. I need to keep it inexpensive as well...

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I have a serious WAF issue when it comes to subwoofers... my current "home theater" is our living room... All of my equipment is in my sig, but the wifey will not allow the Polk Sub that I currently have to actually be used, as she doesn't "see any place she is ok with it staying"... So I have begun looking at some in-wall subs. I just want something to fill in the low-end for now, doesn't have to be earth-shattering or anything... But was thinking about a couple of these guys:

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=302-486

But I know since these guys are not self powered, what else would I need in order to get them up and going? I have no experience with external powered subs, and don't have a clue as to where to look. I need to keep it inexpensive as well...
Don't waste your money on those. They will be worse than no sub.

Can you build your own? I think a decent in wall sub will have to be a DIY project.

If not, tell your wife she will enjoy it and having spaces in homes just to look at is literally a waste of space. Home spaces are to be used and enjoyed. A good HT is a very good way to increase he enjoyment of your home.

WAF is ridiculous and re eduction is in order.

T

templemaners

Senior Audioholic
That's solidly in the top 20 smartest things I've read from you on here, and I've read a lot of intelligent insights from you on Audioholics. Couldn't agree more.

Gaigebacca

Gaigebacca

Audioholic
Don't waste your money on those. They will be worse than no sub.

Can you build your own? I think a decent in wall sub will have to be a DIY project.

If not, tell your wife she will enjoy it and having spaces in homes just to look at is literally a waste of space. Home spaces are to be used and enjoyed. A good HT is a very good way to increase he enjoyment of your home.

Are you volunteering to be the re-educator then...?

Gaigebacca

Gaigebacca

Audioholic
And if it pretty much has to be a DIY... any specific suggestions? I am not going to do anything that will require having to re-drywall an entire section of my wall... and I need something <$300...

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

And if it pretty much has to be a DIY... any specific suggestions? I am not going to do anything that will require having to re-drywall an entire section of my wall... and I need something <$300...
For in wall that is absolutely impossible with that budget.

Subs need volume. So if it is to fit in the wall, a significant part of the wall has to be opened up. In order to get the volume the surface area of the structure has to be relatively large. There are a few slim line drivers available for this application, but they are quite expensive.

On your budget, I would forget about an in wall solution.

annunaki

annunaki

For that budget one could get close assuming they have lots of DIY skill that would include enclosure design & construction as well as dry walling skill/capabilities.

Do you have a basement that is unfinished below your room?

What about an attic above?

If so you could do a cut through such as I helped GO-NAD! design for his space. This allowed a minimal cost high value system in his space with no floor space taken up. One could use the Dayton RSS265HF or the RSS215HF in a vented enclosure with a BASH 300 or Dayton 240 watt plate amp and have a fairly capable subwoofer.

I would agree that the Goldwood option you posted may, in the long run, cause you more issues than it solves. (creating loose rattling drywall, noise in other rooms, etc.)

just-some-guy

just-some-guy

Audioholic Field Marshall
do you have an end table or something like that ? put the sub in that.

Gaigebacca

Gaigebacca

Audioholic
I do have an open attic directly above the room, although no basement... I had a basement, none of this would be an issue... In our next house, I told my wife, I get one room as a media room, no exceptions, and she is fine with that... so I just have to make due until then...

The living room is a very open concept type area, that is open to the kitchen, foyer, and dining area. I am not expecting something that will go down to 20hz flat at 100+ decibels... I just want something to help with the low-end that the Primus' cannot do... I appreciate all of your opinions and help, so keep it coming...

Also the end table thing would not work because of the layout of our room, it would require having to run wires under the carpet... Not going to happen...

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

I do have an open attic directly above the room, although no basement... I had a basement, none of this would be an issue... In our next house, I told my wife, I get one room as a media room, no exceptions, and she is fine with that... so I just have to make due until then...

The living room is a very open concept type area, that is open to the kitchen, foyer, and dining area. I am not expecting something that will go down to 20hz flat at 100+ decibels... I just want something to help with the low-end that the Primus' cannot do... I appreciate all of your opinions and help, so keep it coming...

Also the end table thing would not work because of the layout of our room, it would require having to run wires under the carpet... Not going to happen...
Unfortunately, that is just the sort of room that requires above average potency in a sub because of the bass leakage it creates.

I suggest you look at some good well finished sub ans see what you wife will accept. If you are not going to be in tha house long, I would leave the walls and ceilings alone.

Gaigebacca

Gaigebacca

Audioholic
We will most likely be in this house for another 2-3 years... minimum...

Gaigebacca

Gaigebacca

Audioholic
Here is a rough outline of our living area, kitchen, and other open areas, and yes, it is very rough... "s" marks speakers, the couch and two chairs are recliners, long oval is glass coffee table... "fp" is fireplace, etc...

Attachments

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
Notwithstanding annunaki's warnings about integrity or DIY skill set, you might look into infinite baffle (IB) subs. All that needs to be visible on the ceiling are either the drivers or the grilles for them.

You'll likely have to sign up to check out some builds here.

Cult of the Infinitely Baffled

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

We will most likely be in this house for another 2-3 years... minimum...
In that case leave the house alone. rooms like that are really not suitable for AV systems, of any complexity. I would put the sub between the right speaker and the fireplace. I can see no harm in that. You already have a speaker there!

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis