B

Blundaar

Audioholic
It's been a log time since I posted here, but it's good to know I have a place to go to have my questions answered:)
In a nutshell, my old Panasonic S97 stopped reading CD's on me a while back, and I can't stand it anymore. I wouldn't mind getting a Blu-Ray player, if only for the HD audio. But (there's always a but), this will be plugged into my old Hitachi 51S500, HDMI to DVI (1080i max rez), and the audio optical input on my pioneer receiver (no HDMI here, either). What can I expect- audio and picture-wise?

As far as a player, I was looking at the Panasonic DMP-BDT460. I figure it would be there when I finally replace the TV (assuming it will work), and it would play my library of DVD's and CD's, but I'm always open to suggestions. Player aside, I'm happy with what I'm still using, and I'm not one to switch equipment unless it's broken. Thumbs-up, or bitter tears?

adk highlander

adk highlander

Sith Lord
You will not get the HD audio via the optical or coax connection. It will only pass that via HDMI or multi-channel outputs so I would not use that as any immediate decision for the upgrade. You may want to look at an older player like a used BDP-83 that will have component connections and multi-channel preouts. Then you would not have to worry about any issues with HDCP compliance and the HDMI to DVI conversion issues that can pop up. Also you can use the multi-channel outputs to go to your receiver and get the HD audio.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Like ADK says, your only hops is that your receiver has 5.1 analog audio inputs. Then, if you can find a Blu-ray player that has 5.1 analog outputs and can decode these new hi-rez formats you can feed them into your receiver.

But, finding blu-ray players with ANY analog outputs is almost impossible anymore.

In any case. the "standard" DD/DTS audio can be passed via coax or toslink and doesn't suck. And, if you don't have blu-ray yet, some movies can be stunning.

If you can live with that. then virtually any blu-ray player, even entry level ones, will provide much better video and at least as good sound as what you have now.

If you really want those hi-rez audio formats, you may be looking at a new receiver as well as a new blu-ray player

Last edited:
B

Blundaar

Audioholic
Yes, my receiver does have analog inputs. I used it on my Panasonic because I liked the audio codec on that player.
Oppo. Oh my. Even a used one will, probably, still be pricy, but I'll look into that, for sure.
THIS is why I don't frequent these forums like I used to. You people always give my The Itch that needs to be scratched :D.
It's also good to know that just about anything's an improvement now, thank you. I'll keep you posted.
-B

B

Blundaar

Audioholic
Well, it took a while, and because I'm upgrading my bedroom electronics, I starting looking in earnest. I decided to go with the Samsung BD-F7500. Analog outputs, everything set up without a hassle, sounds great (even music, once I realized that PCM Downsampling was on by default, and turned it off), and the price was right.
First Blu-Ray disks- Guardians of the Galaxy & Penguins of Madagascar (lol). Love HD audio!
Once again, thanks for your input.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis