Solid State Amps vs Tube Amps

JaBear

JaBear

Junior Audioholic
First off I would like to thank everyone who has responded to my questions over the past month that I have been on this board. Think I have learned more on here than any where else on the web. Now this questions I haven't researched at all so I a total n00b in asking it....

I'm not even sure I'm asking the right question here, but I'm building a system from the top bottom. I already purchased Vienna Acoustic Mozart Grand and three Waltz Grand. I decided that I'm doing separates as far as thre pre-amp goes I'm either going with the Onkyo 5508 or the Marantz 7005. As the Amp goes I thought I was dead set on going with a Emo Xpa-5 or a Sunfire Cinema Grand Amp. However I came across on ebay last night a tube amp from Sunfire and it got me think should I be considering a tube amp or am I foolish.

My usage... 70% music(Irish rock, classic rock) 20% movie(more action than anything else) and 10% gaming( just sport games).

I just got married I was told I'm allowed to go all out once on a speaker system, so while I can spend money on this system I would like to get it done correctly! Budget for the amp is about $800 and that's at the end of my comfort zone ideally I would like to be around $650. So not even sure I could even get tube amps in that price range.

Thanks in advance for the advice guys!

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Looking at the sleaker spec sheet, the manufacturer specs them at 90 db and yet recommends between 30 - 200 watts for them. Do you think you can find a tube amp to fall into the higher end of that bracket?

Remember, these are two small drivers and, due to the 2:3 law of speaker design*, generally require more power to deliver satisfying bass.

*2:3 law: High efficiency, bass extention, small enclosure: Pick two, any two. ...but you can't have all three.

Y

yepimonfire

Audioholic Samurai
Tube amps can be driven into clipping without sounding as terrible as a solid-state and without damaging your amp. BUT......on the other hand, while you may be able to drive a wimpy 30w tube amp into severe clipping, you could just buy a solid state that can output enough power that you will never send your amp into clipping and be completely distortion free :). even if a tube doesen't sound as bad when driven into clipping, you are still introducing gross distortion into the signal. IMO tubes are outdated and pointless. An emotiva XPA anything will provide gobs upon gobs of power and you will more then likely never drive them into clipping.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis