SO YOU WANT BASS ev 6-30ws system

dave1490

dave1490

Audioholic
this guys got 6-30 in ev,s mounted in cement.check it out.

http://www.pipeorgansound.com/wall_of_sound.htm

This is the 640 ft^3 concrete room which serves as the infinite-baffle enclosure for the sub-woofers. In order to couple the energy of the support wall that the drivers are mounted on to an immoveable sink, I ran home-made beams laterally to the wall. When a huge low-Frequency transient moves all 4241 in^2 of cone in or out 3/4 of an inch, the 2 1/2" thick driver mounting wall still moves perceptibly to the touch. Of course you hardly notice that, as most of the pictures in the listening area have already fallen off the walls.

Last edited:
Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
Free air of 15Hz, whoop dee doo. You can get that, and more excursion in a 15 or even 12inch driver, and have a much more compact system that will give you the same amount of SPLs.

SheepStar

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
dave1490 said:
this guys got 6-30 in ev,s mounted in cement.check it out.

http://www.pipeorgansound.com/wall_of_sound.htm

This is the 640 ft^3 concrete room which serves as the infinite-baffle enclosure for the sub-woofers. In order to couple the energy of the support wall that the drivers are mounted on to an immoveable sink, I ran home-made beams laterally to the wall. When a huge low-Frequency transient moves all 4241 in^2 of cone in or out 3/4 of an inch, the 2 1/2" thick driver mounting wall still moves perceptibly to the touch. Of course you hardly notice that, as most of the pictures in the listening area have already fallen off the walls.
That was money well wasted if I read that correctly.

dave1490

dave1490

Audioholic
Sheep said:
Free air of 15Hz, whoop dee doo. You can get that, and more excursion in a 15 or even 12inch driver, and have a much more compact system that will give you the same amount of SPLs.

SheepStar

ya but look at the cone size 4241 in^2 of cone .that needs alot of speakers to match the displacement.

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
dave1490 said:
ya but look at the cone size 4241 in^2 of cone .that needs alot of speakers to match the displacement.
No, it needs excursion. You can get drivers with 3inches of linear travel. Those EV's probably only move .2inches.

SheepStar

Haoleb

Haoleb

Audioholic Field Marshall
Sheep said:

SheepStar

Well I'm sure he's happy with it. ;)

F

f0am

Audioholic
I guess I am failing to understand, at what point did Satan poses this guy and convince him that this would be a great way to experience music and movies.
I love the woodwork, Sheeps valve covers look 100 times better and he did that with spray paint!

dave1490

dave1490

Audioholic
Sheep said:
No, it needs excursion. You can get drivers with 3inches of linear travel. Those EV's probably only move .2inches.

SheepStar

i knew you were going to come up with excursion.the ev,s move 3/4in,even the best jbl,s only move 2in peak to peak.never seen 1 that can travel 3 in.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
dave1490 said:
i knew you were going to come up with excursion.the ev,s move 3/4in,even the best jbl,s only move 2in peak to peak.never seen 1 that can travel 3 in.
Who said JBL was the best?:confused: There are some much more cost effective ways to get the same results as the huge expensive 6w30 thing.

highfihoney

highfihoney

Audioholic Samurai
If i owned that speaker system i'd paint the entire wall of speakers the same color as the rest of the room,drivers & all,then i'd get a huge a$$ roll of burlap to cover the wall with & paint it white again.

Then i'd set out a $19 HTIB on top of a table & scare the s#!t outta everybody that came over:D

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Reminds me of Back to the Future...only this is not funny.

dave1490

dave1490

Audioholic
Seth=L said:
Who said JBL was the best?:confused: There are some much more cost effective ways to get the same results as the huge expensive 6w30 thing.

just for conversation what would you use for the bottom end{if likeing bass sound and eathquake feel}.i,v been thinking of using 2 jbl 2226,s a side the spec say they move 2in p to p but from my experance.these sound more like upper bass and dont give the deep down feel of some{i belive it,s high compliance}roled edge woofers.witch leaves me in a bind cause i already got a pair of 2445,s and 8 bullets and i dont like mixing speakers,the db efficency never sound right.but i invite your opion.thanks

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
dave1490 said:
just for conversation what would you use for the bottom end{if likeing bass sound and eathquake feel}.i,v been thinking of using 2 jbl 2226,s a side the spec say they move 2in p to p but from my experance.these sound more like upper bass and dont give the deep down feel of some{i belive it,s high compliance}roled edge woofers.witch leaves me in a bind cause i already got a pair of 2445,s and 8 bullets and i dont like mixing speakers,the db efficency never sound right.but i invite your opion.thanks
I guess I am just not on the same page. What kind of SPLs and what size room are we talking about again?

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
dave1490 said:
I think you need to check out www.tcsounds.com

They have drivers with 38mm 1 way linear travel. Peak to peak is NOT linear movement, so the 2inch JBLs will be at their mechanical limit.

SheepStar

F

f0am

Audioholic
highfihoney said:
If i owned that speaker system i'd paint the entire wall of speakers the same color as the rest of the room,drivers & all,then i'd get a huge a$$ roll of burlap to cover the wall with & paint it white again.

Then i'd set out a $19 HTIB on top of a table & scare the s#!t outta everybody that came over:D
Now thats funny! :p

dave1490

dave1490

Audioholic
Sheep said:
I think you need to check out www.tcsounds.com

They have drivers with 38mm 1 way linear travel. Peak to peak is NOT linear movement, so the 2inch JBLs will be at their mechanical limit.

SheepStar

nice,can change ohmage for diffent amp conf,s no compromising of the cone area.work,s with a small box,and 3in excursion.but the spl is 88db.my sys is over 110db for over 1000hz.even with the 2226,s that rate at 97db with 2 that 100db when combined with the top end it work,s out to around 103-105db 1 watt 1 meter.this is the prob i alway,s get.never sound,s right.thanks

jonnythan

jonnythan

Audioholic Ninja
I couldn't find any SPL measurements or calculations.

What kinda dB does this thing put out between, say, 20 and 80Hz?

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
jonnythan said:
I couldn't find any SPL measurements or calculations.

What kinda dB does this thing put out between, say, 20 and 80Hz?
Test it for 1 hert.:D

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis