So, why not simply get the studio monitors?

killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
Is there some reason why people don't buy studio monitors for 2.1 bookshelf system? Often I hear people saying these or those bookshelf speakers are nearly as good as studio monitors. Is there a reason why one wouldn’t simply buy studio monitors?

I am asking his because I found a store in my hometown that sells studio monitors and they have Focal which is a praised company for a good price. To save everyone’s time I am asking is this a good idea, would they do a better job than home audio hi fi, are Focal monitors generally regarded as good monitors or not and since a lot of them are active would a pre-amp suffice as a core of a stereo system? Can a preamp send the signal directly to active speakers?

TIA

killdozzer

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
How far would you be sitting from the speakers? Small studio monitors are called 'near field' because they're usually about 3-10' from the person using them and they don't sit on book shelves in a studio, they sit on a table or a ledge, behind the mixing console or computer work station. In a place that is small and can't be set up as the "preferred" listening environment, this can work very well.

In all cases, listen to speakers in conditions that are as close to your own as possible- if you listen in a completely different kind of room, there's no way they'll sound the same once you get them home.

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
Is there some reason why people don't buy studio monitors for 2.1 bookshelf system? Often I hear people saying these or those bookshelf speakers are nearly as good as studio monitors. Is there a reason why one wouldn’t simply buy studio monitors?

I am asking his because I found a store in my hometown that sells studio monitors and they have Focal which is a praised company for a good price. To save everyone’s time I am asking is this a good idea, would they do a better job than home audio hi fi, are Focal monitors generally regarded as good monitors or not and since a lot of them are active would a pre-amp suffice as a core of a stereo system? Can a preamp send the signal directly to active speakers?

TIA

killdozzer

In my Bookshelf Speaker Shootout, I heard the the Focal Solo6 Be (and since, compared it with the Twin6 ) at a distance of 12 feet and they are remarkable, but both require a sub.

Those, like the Phil 3's, provide a solution that would require five figure full-range towers to beat!

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
A speaker is a speaker. Classes of speakers are really meaningless in terms of performance.

WaynePflughaupt

WaynePflughaupt

Audioholic Samurai

Many if not most studio monitors will have the highs reduced (compared to “regular” speakers) so that they won’t sound overly bright in the close proximity they are designed for. Likewise, they may also have broader dispersion than usual, for the same reason (i.e. so they won’t sound “beamy” up close). As such studio monitors may sound a bit “soft” at a more normal distance of 10-12 ft. But that’s nothing that can’t be compensated for with a common treble control.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
Just found this thread! I thought that with 'monitors' the off axis frequency response could to some degree be ignored due to the close proximity.

In my Bookshelf Speaker Shootout, I heard the the Focal Solo6 Be (and since, compared it with the Twin6 ) at a distance of 12 feet and they are remarkable, but both require a sub.

Those, like the Phil 3's, provide a solution that would require five figure full-range towers to beat!
I heard Kurt's Solo6s. Absolutely loved 'em. I'm not sure if they take USB but a sound card gets around that, right? The small issue of $3,000 USD though ... I liked the way they looked too. I could do music without subs no problem with those. It would be acceptable.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
As with home audio speakers, you still want to check the response charts if they are available. JBL LSR series look to be quite neutral. Behringer Truth monitors have measured to have very good dispersion characteristics.

D

Defcon

Audioholic
As with home audio speakers, you still want to check the response charts if they are available. JBL LSR series look to be quite neutral. Behringer Truth monitors have measured to have very good dispersion characteristics.
Agree with both of these suggestions. But you have to evaluate these in your room and see how the dispersion patterns and room reflections affect the sound.

The LSR305 can be found for $120-150 shipped, that includes an amp, and they have a lot of the technology and charasteristics of the JBL M2 which is a gold standard.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I've heard powered studio monitors in a 2ch rig and it sounded excellent. There's really no reason why you can't do it. As mentioned, all speakers have their trade-offs, so listening to them in your setup is what needs to happen to determine if they sound the way you want.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis