So my receiver does NOT have any HDMI...

HP666

HP666

Enthusiast
I have a brand new 50" plasma, HD DirecTV HD-DVR, new DVD player, CD player. Can I still hook up everything the old fashioned way to have surround sound, watch movies, etc. etc???

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
...and, if you need/want HDMI run up to your TV so you get digital video, just run it straight from the component to your display. If you have only one HDMI on your display, and need multiple HDMI connections, then get a stand alone HDMI switcher from www.monoprice.com

F

f0am

Audioholic
Ahh screw HDMI and its DRM BS. Use Component Video. You know Red Green Blue. Capable of 1080p, works like a charm. And you can use coax cable to run the lines if you want.
COAX FOR THE WIN. heh

A

acacia987

Junior Audioholic
yeah, HDMI is not that special right now. maybe in a year or two when people can actually afford the v1.3 recievers(with true HD and what not) and then be able to afford the blueray/HD-DVD to use the true HD thing dolby has out now.

jonnythan

jonnythan

Audioholic Ninja
Many STBs look better over HDMI than component it seems. Mine looks the same either way, but my Maxent 50" plasma does this odd auto brightness thing that adjusts the brightness dynamically over component. Doesn't do it over HDMI.

Besides, virtually all upconverting DVD players only upconvert over HDMI. It would be silly to hook, say, an Oppo 971 up using component when you can use HDMI.

HDMI cables also take up less physical space than component cables, which can be important in some installations.

A

Atokade

Audiophyte
HP666 said:
So if I had a Yamaha RX-V659 this would all work out peachy keen????

http://www.yamaha.co.jp/english/product/av/products/ht/rxv659.html
I have the Yammy RX-V659 and that's exactly what I did. Since I bought all the cables at the same time, I had a significant discount and got some HDMI cables. My DVD player and HD cablebox have HDMI to my 42' plasma, and have optical connections to the receiver. I also have a Roku soundbridge connected to the receiver with an optical.

Basically you'll have to change inputs on the TV itself and the receiver as well, rather than just the receiver.

IMO receivers with HDMI switching, if they're not top of the line, still have a ways to go. You can find reviews of the Denon 3806, for example, and see that it's not as ideal in that receiver as you'd expect. You might as well save and do without until there is a real benefit that justifies the cost.

jonnythan

jonnythan

Audioholic Ninja
If you want HDMI switching, you can buy a $50 automatic HDMI switch and get a reasonbly-priced receiver instead of a super expensive receiver.

HP666

HP666

Enthusiast
It doesn't matter now because I bought the Harman/Kardon AVR-445.:D

M

Methodical

Audioholic
If you want HDMI switching, you can buy a $50 automatic HDMI switch and get a reasonbly-priced receiver instead of a super expensive receiver.
Where can this HDMI switch be had?

Thx

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis