G

gixx0r

Enthusiast
Well I'm new here and am realizing there is a lot to know about HT setups. I just picked up my first HDTV today after doing research for probably way too long. Either way I'm looking forward to learning and getting some advice from the experts around here

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Welcome to Audioholics.

Looks like you woke up kind of early today.:D

H

hospitalityjoe

Enthusiast
welcome

Well I'm new here and am realizing there is a lot to know about HT setups. I just picked up my first HDTV today after doing research for probably way too long. Either way I'm looking forward to learning and getting some advice from the experts around here
So what are you hooking up to that new tele? What did you purchase after all your research? I sure enjoy my Sony after a lengthy bit of digging on the industry also, no regrets here.

G

gixx0r

Enthusiast
@AcuDefTechGuy: More like I never went to sleep haha

@hospitalityjoe: I ended up getting a Sammy 58B560. Didn't care for the 650's extra AR, CMS and Ethernet since i'm in a room where I can block out the light and can use my xbox 360 for streaming. The CMS would have been nice but whatever heh.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
What do you have now, besides that Samsung TV?

Where do you see yourself in 10 yrs in terms of HT gears?

Sounds like an interview, doesn't it?:D:eek:

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
@AcuDefTechGuy: More like I never went to sleep haha

@hospitalityjoe: I ended up getting a Sammy 58B560. Didn't care for the 650's extra AR, CMS and Ethernet since i'm in a room where I can block out the light and can use my xbox 360 for streaming. The CMS would have been nice but whatever heh.
Welcome from here too:D
Just to get you off to a good start, you can use the 'quote' box with several different posts in one. I Learned the hard way.:D
Right next to that box is a box with " hit that box for every post you want to respond to in one thread then also hist the 'quote box of the last one you selected. Then you have a nicer looking response with the different posters quotes.:D

G

gixx0r

Enthusiast
What do you have now, besides that Samsung TV?

Where do you see yourself in 10 yrs in terms of HT gears?

Sounds like an interview, doesn't it?:D:eek:
I'm going from a old 32" Sony Trinitron so it's a huge upgrade for me.

I use to be a huge techie and always knew about all the new technology. I still stay up to date but I don't find myself wanting the best of everything anymore.

I'm not a huge huge videophile so I probably won't be looking to have a dedicated movie room or anything. I spend the majority of the time watching sports and the occasional video game playing on my xbox 360. I do however like to maximize everything so I try and learn as much as I can about each topic. I came on here in hopes that I can learn and get myself the best sound setup possible with the money I have alloted (around $700) I'd like to spend less cause my roommate is offering to buy the sound system and I don't want him to have to overspend.

Maybe that gives you a better idea of what I'm looking to do.

Kai

Kai

Full Audioholic
Welcome...
Most of us have limited budgets, non-dedicated rooms, families to add into the equation and are not audiophiles in the true meaning of the word...just people trying to get a good audio/video experience.

My advice is to take your time and enjoy the experience. It should be fun not agonizing.
I'd also suggest the following:
Create a "demo cd" with perhaps 10 of your most favorite songs. Songs that you are most familiar with and also cover a broad range of the genre. For instance my demo cd has a track or two of Frank Sinatra, Annie Lennox, Celtic Woman, Dire Straits, The Beatles, etc. Music I love and songs I know well that also use and in many cases single out the sonic characteristics of speakers, receivers, etc.

Electronics, in most cases, are replaced more often than speakers. Electronics change more often as technology improves and adds features. Though at this point I don't think there will be any "world shaking" changes after the addition of the HD formats.

Take your time with speakers. Buy what sounds "best" to your ears rather than what others say are best. They also last the longest in your system, especially when you get some that, to your ears, are wonderful and meet/exceed your needs.
After years/decades of upgrading I'd suggest you start small, if budget demands, with a 2.1 system or even just a pair of fronts that really make you smile then as the budget allows add to them until you achieve your desired system. It may take awhile/or not depending on your financial situation, but the wait is always worth it.

Think about and plan around "acoustical treatments" for your room. Such treatments can really help improve the experience when done correctly.

Wiring...If you own your home/condo you may want to budget for or learn...make sure to follow local building codes...how to install wiring in the walls or behind mouldings. It makes for a much cleaner look but does require planning.

Enjoy what you have. Each piece adds to the experience and should be fully enjoyed.
Good luck and have fun.

Chatta

Chatta

Junior Audioholic
Welcome aboard!
I can say this is one of the best communities on Hifi and audio gear. You will always have replies to your questions from the experts and pro's here.

G

gixx0r

Enthusiast
Welcome...
Most of us have limited budgets, non-dedicated rooms, families to add into the equation and are not audiophiles in the true meaning of the word...just people trying to get a good audio/video experience.

My advice is to take your time and enjoy the experience. It should be fun not agonizing.
I'd also suggest the following:
Create a "demo cd" with perhaps 10 of your most favorite songs. Songs that you are most familiar with and also cover a broad range of the genre. For instance my demo cd has a track or two of Frank Sinatra, Annie Lennox, Celtic Woman, Dire Straits, The Beatles, etc. Music I love and songs I know well that also use and in many cases single out the sonic characteristics of speakers, receivers, etc.

Electronics, in most cases, are replaced more often than speakers. Electronics change more often as technology improves and adds features. Though at this point I don't think there will be any "world shaking" changes after the addition of the HD formats.

Take your time with speakers. Buy what sounds "best" to your ears rather than what others say are best. They also last the longest in your system, especially when you get some that, to your ears, are wonderful and meet/exceed your needs.
After years/decades of upgrading I'd suggest you start small, if budget demands, with a 2.1 system or even just a pair of fronts that really make you smile then as the budget allows add to them until you achieve your desired system. It may take awhile/or not depending on your financial situation, but the wait is always worth it.

Think about and plan around "acoustical treatments" for your room. Such treatments can really help improve the experience when done correctly.

Wiring...If you own your home/condo you may want to budget for or learn...make sure to follow local building codes...how to install wiring in the walls or behind mouldings. It makes for a much cleaner look but does require planning.

Enjoy what you have. Each piece adds to the experience and should be fully enjoyed.
Good luck and have fun.
Thanks for the advice. I think I will take my time while trying to get a decent setup for right now. As for the wiring aspect goes, I do it for a living so that's the easy part for me. The only part that is hard for me is learning about all the equipment and finding out what I want and need.

I know the room where my tv is will have lots of openings so I need to figure out what the best speaker setup for me will be. Also I'm trying to get an idea of a few AVR's that would fit my needs.

I'm looking for a receiver that has at least 3 hdmi ports since i will be hooking up a xbox360, blu-ray player and directv. Outside of that I'm still working on figuring out what my other needs out of a receiver will be.

Here's a layout of the room so any help would be great. I forgot to mention in the layout that on the right wall, there are windows that pretty much run all along that wall and the floor is wood. I may look to get a big carpet as I understand that can help with the sound.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis