So I made the decision to get the AA SIERRA 1 book shelf speakers

ematthews

ematthews

Audioholic General
Just a question on those who ordered with the NRT upgrade. Would the upgrade provide a clearer top end with better separation of instruments on playback. Not sure if I want to spend another 300. This can go to my sub upgrade.
Any thoughts.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Test them out first - and see how you like them - then decide if you
want to do the NRT upgrade. You may like them as they are.

ematthews

ematthews

Audioholic General
Test them out first - and see how you like them - then decide if you
want to do the NRT upgrade. You may like them as they are.
OH. OK. Didn't know you could send them back for an upgrade.. By the way I see that Amazon has the JBL back in stock today.. I had a hard time deciding between the JBL the Ascend's and Focal 807v. I got to listen to the Focal's yesterday.. I really liked them.. Was worried they may be a touch bright in my small room.. Still torn about not going ahead and getting the Focals over the Ascends.

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
I have both the sierra 1's and I have to say I prefer them with out the upgrade... And I prefer them over everything you listed, another good option is the csb1's from gr research for $400 I like them just as much as the sierras on sale for half the price... the csb1 actaully have a bigger and better sound stage they have some musical sound to them...

ematthews

ematthews

Audioholic General
I have both the sierra 1's and I have to say I prefer them with out the upgrade... And I prefer them over everything you listed, another good option is the csb1's from gr research for $400 I like them just as much as the sierras on sale for half the price... the csb1 actaully have a bigger and better sound stage they have some musical sound to them...
Is the csb1 from gr research a bulid kit? I don't see where you can buy the full pair.

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
you have to call him they are all built, they come shipped just like any other speaker... I love mine, they throw a really nice soundstage, nice accurate sound... there are a few threads about them on ah, and a small bunch of members own them and or the towers from that series, GR research is handling the sale its $400 for the books and I think $1000 for the towers, the fit and finish is amazing, magnetic grilles, planar tweet, very very nice set of speakers for $400... I put mine with a set of sb12 sealed subs also in piano and i get more complitments on that inexpensive system than any other.. heres carnegies website http://carnegieacoustics.net/

Last edited:
J

Jimz711

Full Audioholic
I have the towers, and they were 1000 for the pair. They are listed as B stock because some of the acoustic fill is missing. They sound great as is, but you can tighten up the bass by adding some on your own. The directions are listed in a thread here and in several other forums.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
OH. OK. Didn't know you could send them back for an upgrade.. By the way I see that Amazon has the JBL back in stock today.. I had a hard time deciding between the JBL the Ascend's and Focal 807v. I got to listen to the Focal's yesterday.. I really liked them.. Was worried they may be a touch bright in my small room.. Still torn about not going ahead and getting the Focals over the Ascends.
It doesn't matter what we think - it is, what is the right fit for you

Also, I do not try to perceive how a speaker might sound different
in my room - a 30 day trail test, is the best way to find out. Focal
does make good stuff, and their tweeter is a nice one.

People have different perceptions of what brightness is.

Enjoy your speakers - while JBL may, or may not be a lot of people's
preference, it is better than some people may think. Sometimes it
is an ajustment period. From your 3 options, none would have been
a loser.

Have fun

Last edited:
ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
I don't know how I feel about the focals for a music system, I have heard focals that are amaizng but their entry level stuff is good for the sale price but not great...

I tend to go by value, so I hear a speaker that costs $100, then a speaker that costs $400 the $400 speaker has to do everything much better than the 100 unit, then once you get a baseline, for me it is the ascend cbm170's for $300} which IMO do everything well, so I compare all the bookshelfs I hear to them, for example comparing them to the csb1's, you get a much better aesthetic and mechanical package, magnetic grilles, piano finish, sloped front, flush banana plugs, velour covers, ect vs the std grilles and vinyl sticker finish on the cbm's, so on aesthetics alone the csb1's are worth $100 more if they sound the same as the cbm's, but they sound better, they have better everything so its a no brainer in cost wise...

But the 170 is still my staple for comparing bookshelf speakers... A $1000 speaker has to be very very impressive for me to buy it.... for under $800 the CSB1 get my vote, then you have a lot of other options {most of which aren't twice as good as the csb's but still satisfying} I want to hear the philharmonitors and the ascend sierra 2's but the imagine B's are nice, the sierras are really nice, WOW1's, ect ect ect the lists can be endless, you just need to hear them in your room to make the best choice...

C

cschang

Audioholic Chief
How's the imaging on the CSB1's compared to the Sierra-1's? Bigger soundstage is one thing, but without the excellent imaging on the Sierra-1, it is like a bigger picture but with less focus.

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
How's the imaging on the CSB1's compared to the Sierra-1's? Bigger soundstage is one thing, but without the excellent imaging on the Sierra-1, it is like a bigger picture but with less focus.
The csb1's have excellent imaging and comparing it to the ascends. Here is where I hear the difference... In the voice, the ascends have great detail and sound clean and clear, as do the csb's BUT the csb's give you this natural sounding 3d voice, so it feels like the singer is rite there 4 feet in front of you, the sound is deep and wide all around, where the sierras feel narrow the closer you get. Don't get me wrong, I love my sierras and I wont be selling them, ever... but there is a reason the csb's are sitting on the stands and the sierras are in their boxes...

another note- the seirras are easier to place, the csb1s took small adjustments to change the sound and I found a few ways to set them up with results I liked, the ascends sound almost the same no matter where you place them {in my room and obviously not facing each other or backwards but within reason...}

ematthews

ematthews

Audioholic General
Thanks for throwing another option out there...Ugh! But you make great sense as well. If the Sierra isn't twice as good, why go there if you can get there with half the price...
I have an old Polk tower..Not sure of the model number... They sound better than my Polk LSi-15's and they were a third of the price.

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
It doesn't have to be double the price for double the sq, you have to decide what the sound difference is worth to you, I have heard stories of guys writing $800 on a peice of tape sticking it to the speaker that was $800 less than the one they were considering to make sure they took that into account.
"I can have this speaker and $800 or this one and no hundred dollars"... In the case of csb vs sierra 1, I actually prefer the csb1 so it costing half as much makes that an easy decision...
Call Danny at gr research he will explain the speaker and sale to you. He also can tell you how they compare to what you are considering, he has listened to many speakers... Mine sound so good crossed at 80 to my subs it is sickening to think of other speakers I have bought through out the years, for $1500 I bought the subs and bookshelfs and there is no tower than can compare for double that price... The bookshelfs are so clean and tight, with the subs HUGE FAST MUSICAL bass... unbeatable combo that is for sure...

But you get what I am saying about cost, say you were between speaker "A" and speaker "B:, a is $500 B is $1000 b sounds better than a, but is the difference worth $500 to you? The higher you get in price with audio the smaller the differences, a $100 speaker is easily beaten by a large amount, but a $500 speaker only gets beaten by a little when you go to $1000, then when you go to $2000 its even less, and so on...

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Thanks for throwing another option out there...Ugh! But you make great sense as well. If the Sierra isn't twice as good, why go there if you can get there with half the price...
How do you know, that you are going to feel the same way?

You still can not judge total sound quality by perception, or how another
person feels about certain speakers.

Double the price difference does not guarantee anything - however, there are some
speakers that do certain things better than others, and while those sound differences
may not be so-called major - there still may be enough there, for someone to justify
paying the price.

Last edited:
I

ichigo

Full Audioholic
You should see if you can get the Sierra-2s instead. The NRT upgrade is not a big deal, I've always felt the "weakness" in the Sierra-1 was the woofer in that it doesn't integrate with the tweeter as well as some other speakers I've owned, and as I recall Dave F at Ascend originally thought about using the CA15RLY while designing the Sierria-1, and in the end the Sierra-2 uses a variant of that driver. I've had the original as well as the Sierra-1 with the RAAL 70-20 and felt the woofer just didn't sound right; it was too easy to hear that it was two separate drivers.

billy p

billy p

Audioholic Ninja
You should see if you can get the Sierra-2s instead. The NRT upgrade is not a big deal, I've always felt the "weakness" in the Sierra-1 was the woofer in that it doesn't integrate with the tweeter as well as some other speakers I've owned, and as I recall Dave F at Ascend originally thought about using the CA15RLY while designing the Sierria-1, and in the end the Sierra-2 uses a variant of that driver. I've had the original as well as the Sierra-1 with the RAAL 70-20 and felt the woofer just didn't sound right; it was too easy to hear that it was two separate drivers.

I recall Dave mentioned the selection for the Sierra 1 mid woofer as a compromise between deeper bass at the expense of some midrange clarity. The woven fibers in the Sierra 1 used a much denser material specifically designed for deeper bass extension...I know when I switched over to the Towers it was one of the more notable changes I heard between the two...that and the dedicated mid range in the Tower made all the difference for me. As for the NrT not being a big deal...I reckon so but I never heard the originals and by most accounts they took that speaker to another level...whether you agree or not.

Dave has gone on further to say the new S2 mid woofer won't work in the Towers...Dave designs all his speaker with certain goals.

I

ichigo

Full Audioholic
As for the NrT not being a big deal...I reckon so but I never heard the originals and by most accounts they took that speaker to another level...whether you agree or not.
It's not a big deal when you consider the performance issue of the woofer in regards to midrange compared to the base tweeter's existing performance. I'm sure the NRT is an upgrade, but making something already good better is not as useful as focusing on something that's relatively less as good. Focusing on deficiencies has the highest cost/benefit utility.

C

cschang

Audioholic Chief
It's not a big deal when you consider the performance issue of the woofer in regards to midrange compared to the base tweeter's existing performance. I'm sure the NRT is an upgrade, but making something already good better is not as useful as focusing on something that's relatively less as good. Focusing on deficiencies has the highest cost/benefit utility.
I believe the NrT also allowed for a lower crossover to the woofer which helped with the mids as well.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis