H

hjustin

Audioholic
What do Bandwidth Uniformity and Frequency Range indicate?

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
What do Bandwidth Uniformity and Frequency Range indicate?
Basically it's looking to see how flat/linear output is at the limits. For example, on the CEA 2010 page, the Epik Empire has a difference of ~19dB between the minimum output and maximum output from 20Hz to 80Hz, so the window is +/- 9.7dB for Bandwidth Uniformity. The Frequency Range looks at the same data but tried to fix things into a +/-3dB window.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
That is about what I would have anticipated given the enclosure size, etc. Actually it does dig a bit deeper than I would have guessed, outperforming the LFM-1 in extension mode by a hair at 16 through 25 hz. I would have thought the roll off would be at a higher point and steeper too. Anyway, those are good measurements, especially for a $800 sub.

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
Actually it does dig a bit deeper than I would have guessed
Me too. The XV15 doesn't pass the 10 or 12.5Hz CEA sweeps, but it's still delivering a fair amount of measured output down that low on the sine sweeps. The only other subs that manage 10Hz output in the sine sweeps are some pretty heavy duty sealed subs, the FV15HP, and the PB13U.

D

DS-21

Full Audioholic
Me too. The XV15 doesn't pass the 10 or 12.5Hz CEA sweeps, but it's still delivering a fair amount of measured output down that low on the sine sweeps. The only other subs that manage 10Hz output in the sine sweeps are some pretty heavy duty sealed subs, the FV15HP, and the PB13U.
Because it's vented, and thus a dipole below tuning.

Sealed subs stay monopoles, and thus can pressurize a room below their nominal cutoff.

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
Because it's vented, and thus a dipole below tuning.

Sealed subs stay monopoles, and thus can pressurize a room below their nominal cutoff.
I'm aware of this, and that's why it's impressive to me. The only other vented subs (and the XV-15 is vented, as the V denominates) measured by Josh that are offering anything at 10Hz are well out of the XV-15s price range.

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis