Snagged a HSU VTF-2 Mk1...

mgeoffriau

mgeoffriau

Audioholic Intern
So, I couldn't help myself -- I snagged this HSU VTF-2 Mk1 on ebay.

You'll see that the seller mentioned that the amp produces static but the cabinet and driver are fine. I purchased it thinking that I'd replace the amp with the Dayton SPA250 which supposedly is a perfect fit. I figured, the combined cost would give me a superior subwoofer to anything I could buy for that same price.

The sub arrived a few days ago -- perfectly packed. The seller double-boxed it with styrofoam corners for the sub itself. Arrived in perfect shape.

I figured I'd go ahead and hook it up to my spare receiver to see what I was dealing with. Sounded good. Figured I might as well try it on the main system. Hooked it up, still sounded good.

Played a few bass-intensive songs. Still sounded good.

Played a couple of albums through. Still sounded good.

Watched some TV. Still sounded good.

At this point, I can't decide if I have lucked out or if my ears are so insensitive that I can't hear the static. I contacted the seller to ask when the static would appear and under what circumstances -- he insisted that it wouldn't happen immediately but was certain to happen if the sub played for a while.

So far, I have yet to hear it.

Do I leave well enough alone? I've already ordered and received the SPA250 plate amp. Do I hold on to it, just in case? Swap it in for peace of mind? Return to save some cash in the meantime, and reorder it if I need to down the road?

Thoughts? Maybe I should open up the sub to take a look at the plate amp so I can determine if there are any blown electronics?

H

hizzaah

Full Audioholic
If it ain't broke, don't fix it! Sounds like you scored! :cool:

It probably wouldn't hurt to crack it open and check things out, but if it sounds fine, I wouldn't mess with it. Maybe hang on to the amp for a few days before returning, just to make sure it isn't a fluke.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis