D

Dargent0628

Junior Audioholic
Hello All--I am trying to determine the best setup for a difficult room. I currently have the 60" screen, AV cabinet and my right speaker on an 80" wall that opens to a small foyer to the left and a semi-wall that forms the left section of an archway into the dining room. The sofa is by necessity against the opposite wall of the living room and the distance from speaker grill to listening position is approx. 9'. I am considering re-positioning the sofa so that it faces the dining room archway and mounting the screen on an articulating arm. My front LR speakers would then be on either side of the archway, approx. 11' apart. I would install all my gear on floating shelves (one each for center speaker, AVR, BRP and cable box) on the short section of wall next to where I mount the screen. I am including photos so you can see the walls and dimensions I'm talking about. Would this idea be an improvement over the current location of my screen and speakers? Mounting the screen on the wall behind the sofa's current location is not an option. Would Audyssey compensate for the off-center location of the center speaker so that dialogue etc is correct within the soundstage? I like this idea also because I feel it would allow better placement of the front speakers for two-channel listening. Let me know your thoughts.
[/URL][/IMG]
[/URL][/IMG]
[/URL][/IMG]
[/URL][/IMG]

D

Dargent0628

Junior Audioholic
Hmm I copy and pasted the urls from photobucket. No love. Can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong?
[/URL][/IMG]

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Send me a PM with the link to see If I can help.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Just copied from IMG and pasted it in my reply here. Maybe some functions were turned off while you were away? Not sure. Maybe PM gene.

WaynePflughaupt

WaynePflughaupt

Audioholic Samurai

Hmm I copy and pasted the urls from photobucket. No love. Can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong? [/URL][/IMG]
The correct tag is [IMG*] [/IMG*], only without the asterisks (had to put them in in order for the tag to be seen). Make sure the URL address you paste in has no spaces between it and the brackets

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

WaynePflughaupt

WaynePflughaupt

Audioholic Samurai

To answer your question, I’m not sure the improvement in two-channel listening would make it worth the trouble. The rule of thumb for optimal two-channel listening is the equilateral triangle, where the distance between the two front speakers is the same as their distance from the listening position. You mentioned the LP is 9’ from the speakers, and from your picture it looks like your speakers are pretty close to that distance apart.

It would be easy enough to move the speakers to the proposed location for a listening test. Why don’t you try that?

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

D

Dargent0628

Junior Audioholic

To answer your question, I’m not sure the improvement in two-channel listening would make it worth the trouble. The rule of thumb for optimal two-channel listening is the equilateral triangle, where the distance between the two front speakers is the same as their distance from the listening position. You mentioned the LP is 9’ from the speakers, and from your picture it looks like your speakers are pretty close to that distance apart.

It would be easy enough to move the speakers to the proposed location for a listening test. Why don’t you try that?

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt
Thanks Wayne I think my objective is to tidy up the overall aesthetic of the room. I dislike having the left speaker on the other side of that door frame. My GF and I are reconsidering the idea of mounting the screen on the long wall where the sofa is, possibly off center
left on an articulating arm with the speakers in left and right corners, center and gear on floating shelves in the corner. This arrangement might open up the room a little bit, too, with a small sofa/loveseat on that 80"'wall and another one in front of the windows. The short wall would be primary listening position and I think Audyssey would compensate for any distance anomalies.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis