Small integrated stereo amp needed

T

trnqk7

Full Audioholic
I need to find a smaller integrated stereo amp for a bedroom system. I have a receiver, but the wife thinks it's too big of a black box in the room and doesn't want to use it. I will be driving a set of Zaph's SR-71 bookshelf speakers with this amp. Some criteria are mainly that it's about physically the size of a dvr box from DirecTV (we have the HR24) or so. It doesn't have to be that small, but you get the idea, 2.5-3.5" in height, not super deep and not exceptionally wide either. I'd also like to see between 25-50W of honest output with relatively low THD numbers. The last requirements are minimum of two inputs (rca is fine, optical is also ok) and an IR remote so we can use a Logitech Harmony remote with it.

Some that I'm looking at, but would like to go a bit cheaper if I can, are the Cambridge Audio Topaz AM10 and NAD C 316BEE. The Teac AH01-B is also a canidate, but a little too pricey. Same for the Denon Piccolo CEOL with/without Networking. Are there any other <$350 options out there? I'd like <$200, but realize that may be a pipe dream. Thoughts and suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks!

macddmac

macddmac

Audioholic General
The new nad 3020 sounds perfect for your setup although the price at 499 might be a deal killer.
Cheers, Mac

T

trnqk7

Full Audioholic
Guys, while I appreciate the suggestions, read the criteria. One has missed on price, the other on the number of inputs and having a remote (at least IR input).

H

Hobbit

Senior Audioholic
Knowing your input source(s) would be helpful. Sorry for the confusion, but a set of bookshelf speakers gave me the impression you're looking for a 2.0 music setup. I use a Grace Digital network music player which has a volume/remote/app, and gives me access to all my music.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Guys, while I appreciate the suggestions, read the criteria. One has missed on price, the other on the number of inputs and having a remote (at least IR input).
The NAD seems to be your best bet.

T

trnqk7

Full Audioholic
The inputs don't really matter, it's either rca (audio only) from a DirecTV box or rca (audio only) from a BluRay player. 2.0 setup. It's acceptable if the integrated amp has optical inputs, but I'm not looking for that necessarily. I want to know if there is anything outside of the NAD and the Cambridge Audio unit that is cheaper or comparable in price. Thanks again.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
The inputs don't really matter, it's either rca (audio only) from a DirecTV box or rca (audio only) from a BluRay player. 2.0 setup. It's acceptable if the integrated amp has optical inputs, but I'm not looking for that necessarily. I want to know if there is anything outside of the NAD and the Cambridge Audio unit that is cheaper or comparable in price. Thanks again.

Pioneer Elite A-20 Integrated Amplifier Preview | Audioholics

T

trnqk7

Full Audioholic
Thanks again, I had seen that. Unfortunately, I believe she will think it is too large mainly b/c of the height.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis