Small HT room "noob"

D

davyb

Enthusiast
Hey guys,

Just bought my first house and looking into making my first HT room.

what are you're thoughts?

Will be adding in info, but didn't have the time now.

Thanks guys!

Picture is the floor plan, and how it looks now.

Attachments

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
It is always the case that front projection is fun, there is also almost always room for improvement.

In this case, it looks like the paint isn't a flat paint, but somewhat glossy, which is reflecting everything like crazy. I would probably go through with a dark flat paint. Even one with some color in it, as long as it is flat, will do a better job controlling light bounce from the screen.

I'm not sure about the screen at all. Why motorized? It doesn't look like there needs to be access behind it, and you can already see that there are some waves in the material. There may be a reason for it, but a fixed frame screen is a far better way to go. It will not have waves, won't develop waves, and the screen border will actually do a better job in controlling any overspray of light around an image.

The light at the front of the room is okay, but should never be on, even at a low level, when the projector is in use. If you want some lighting on while the projector is on, use directional spot lights back towards the seating area, directed away from the screen, and on dimmers.

No idea on the projector which is in use to know if that's all good or what the deal is there. The room itself seems like it is a really good space to just kick back and enjoy. I would probably look for a dark carpet solution as well in there to help keep reflections at bay. Especially some softening to the walls as that's gotta be a crazy bright room.

I guess if you just bought all this stuff, and hooked it all up... then my biggest comment would be to ask why you are asking now instead of before you bought anything? Nobody's approval or suggestions matter much after the fact. The time to ask is before you buy anything so comments can be made ahead of time.

D

davyb

Enthusiast
Hi there,

I should start of saying this is not my setup.
This is how the current owner has his setup, I will be moving in in December.

I kinda regret posting this post since I can't go in and measure or do anything.
I was just asking in general what people think about the space, how to best set it up and maybe some projector and screen advice.

Thankfully you gave me that :) and it's things to add on my list to do.

Anybody have experience with carpeting walls and ceiling too? What kind, advantages/disadvantages?

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Hey! Don't regret at all. I hate when people ask after they've personally dumped cash into a setup they are excited about, but they never did any research before they bought, then want opinions after.

If you aren't in yet, then you are asking now, before you are in, and you have a lot of time to make some considerations and let others think and respond. Are they planning on leaving that home theater setup as it is, or are they taking it with them?

Obviously, if they take it, then you are starting from scratch, in which case, you have a lot of questions to ask, and answer.

The first, and really most important (IMO) is establishing a budget for what you intend to do.

I would plan on painting. Keeping things dark as is already established, but make sure you go with flat paints. It looks like you could throw a fixed frame screen up for not a lot of cash. Something like a 120" diagonal or so, which can be decided upon later. Same with the projector really. You don't need to decide upon that until you know where cabling is, and what's there already.

I would focus on what you just asked about. Getting acoustics under control, and that question may be better served in the speakers and audio sections rather than the projector sections. Show the photo, let them know that you are buying the home and that you intend to rework the room as appropriate.

From there, you should get some good ideas on how to get the best audio performance from a 5.1 or 7.1 audio system. I would certainly make sure all wiring is hidden as best as possible, I would pick an equipment location that is OUTSIDE the room. The room is small, so having all your gear inside the room isn't the most convenient if it can be avoided, or in a small rack on the opposite end of the room from the screen. Covered so light doesn't spray onto the screen.

There are a number of ways to soften walls, but I haven't been in a room like that with concrete/brick surfaces everywhere. It's nice looking (IMO), but definitely appears cramped, and I wouldn't think the acoustics are good. It would likely get to sounding bright (shrill) very quickly. So, there are wall treatments which can be used. Nothing is really required for the ceiling, but there is stuff out there. I always use carpet in my theaters as a major absorber. Which is a shame with the nice hardwood, but perhaps a very large area rug with good padding would help.

If you aren't in yet, and you are buying this place with an intent of long term ownership, then just use this time to come up with ideas to make it all happen and be as awesome as you want it to be.

D

davyb

Enthusiast
Thanks!

Yeah, im asking now so I can plan ahead of time and start saving up some money ect.

They are taking the equipment with them, I don't want it since it rubbish anyway.
I have my audio pretty much done, (http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/threads/beginner-looking-for-new-setup.94531/)
I think the sound will be the hardest bit too, brick is going to need some work.
But there are plenty of ways.
Im still thinking I might just carpet the floor, im not going to be looking at it anyway haha.

So just looking into which projector would suite me best in my space.
Got a budget in mind of about 1-2k for equipment, but willing to stretch it.

And like you said, a 120" fixed screen will probably work.
Maybe a little smaller, have to see how it feels when I get there.

I want 2.40 ratio because I will be watching movies 90% or more of the time. Thoughts?

I have till December to think about it, so still plenty of time!

Last edited:
BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
You don't want a 2.35 screen. The wall isn't short and wide, and isn't appropriate for it. You are buying a 1.78 projector, and you want a 1.78 screen. The second you pop in a movie that is 1.85 then you are in trouble, all the menus for all movies won't fit on the screen, and that day you just want to watch the Superbowl, you will find that it doesn't actually fit on your screen.

Start with 16:9, then if you want to get a masking system, get one which masks down your 16:9 screen to 2.35.

From what I've seen online maybe 1 out of 4 people who want 2.35 setups actually have spaces appropriate for it.

I will tell you that I want to do a 2.35 setup as well at some point, but the most appropriate way is to use a anamorphic lens, which costs about $3,000 or more for a good one. You can get a projector with motorized zoom, but the AE8000 from Panasonic is getting old, and isn't nearly as bright as other models. The JVC models are around $4,000 or more at this point.

So, you can get a model with manual zoom/lens shift/focus and setup everything again anytime you switch between 2.35 and 16:9 modes.

I would recommend a 16:9 screen, I would pair it with the Sony HW40ES in that room, as long as that room is kept dark. There may be new models in the next few months, but right now, that's definitely the way I would go.

D

davyb

Enthusiast
Damn, you are probably right, well no.. i'm certain you are! haha

I just really really really...really hate black bars!

What is the best solution? I will be making a screen frame something like this:

(this is a 8' 2.35 screen in a similar size room as mine.)

And can I ask why you recommend the sony? what are things to keep in mind when I start looking for a projector?
The room will be dark.

Thanks for the help!

Last edited:
BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
If your budget allows, there are screens which are fixed frame which have magnetic 'masks' for them. So, you build a screen section like what you see above, and then you put in a 16:9 screen. When you have 2.35 content, you just snap the masking panels in place to frame down your 16:9 screen so it appears as a 2.35 screen. You don't change the width, and you maximize your width for the space. But, when you have 16:9 content (HDTV, 1.85 movies) you pull off the masks and maintain the same width. The inclusion of a masking system adds to the pop of your setup, and eliminates the 'visible' black bars. Understand, there are ALWAYS black bars because that is part of what the 16:9 projector actually projects, so having dark velour masking in place makes those black bars just disappear completely.

I'm not sure who all makes magnetic masking systems, but I know that Seymour AV does...
http://www.seymourav.com/masking.asp

THE SONY:

The Sony HW40ES is, in my opinion, and the opinion of others, the best projector on the market currently available under $3,000. It is often on sale for about $2,000, and can be had online, with a Square Trade Warranty for less than that. (about $1,800).

It's great for gaming, has good lens shift, zoom range, is typically sharp, is a brighter projector, and it is nearly dead silent. It has excellent response time if you game on it. 3D is in there and it is acceptable, but not as good as other projectors. Contrast and color are outstanding. Contrast is achieved without using a dynamic iris, which reduces a moving part from the projector and leaves very good contrast through the native capabilities of the projector.

I recommend the HW40ES, because if I were to buy a projector today, under $3,000, then that is the model that I would get.

D

davyb

Enthusiast
Thanks! yeah been browsing around and I found home made magnetic masks.

Since I live in The Netherlands it's hard getting this kind of stuff anywhere (and for a reasonable price).

The projector costs around 2.5k over here so it's kinda of stretching my budget.
Any cheaper suggestions I should look at?

And do you know where I can find some info about screens? (color, gain...ect)
Don't know a thing about what I would need ;)

D

davyb

Enthusiast
Quick update:

After some hours of reading about PJ's it's come down to this:

1. Panasonic PT-AE8000 (1600 euro's)
2. Epson 5030UB (2649 euro's)
3. Sony HW40ES (2249 euro's)

I think im going to go with the Panny, but im not sure yet.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Despite the claims, the Panasonic is far less bright than the Sony or the Epson. The Panasonic is only recommended for people with smaller screens. The Sony or Epson is a much better choice. The Epson 5025 isn't a bad alternative to the 5030 and should be a bit less.

Projector Central and many of the screen manufacturer sites have good information on screens, but you will need to see what you have access to locally. Also, if you have the tools and can cut in a straight line, then building your own screen, and masking system, can save you a good chunk of cash. You can get very good results building your own screen if you have the time and willingness, and just a bit of low level skill to put it all together.

D

davyb

Enthusiast
Did some more digging, kinda sucks over here.

I can only get the Sony HW40 and HW55 both at 2240 euro's or the panny for 1450 euro's.(Epson I can get the 6030ub at 2700 euro's or the 4030ub at 2000 euro's so kinda a no go for me.)

Shame I cant compare them in real life, but 800 euro's difference is allot!

I Think I will make my own screen if I can get the materials. Got enough time and skill to do it.

Last edited:
BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
The HW55 is a significant step up from the HW40 in overall build. It should never be priced the same, so it's the better model to get. I would not personally get the Panasonic as it's a pretty dated model at this point. I like Epson, but I think LCoS is a better technology, so I would pick the Sony over the Epson for that reason.

The price difference between the Sony and Panasonic is about the same over here. At least $500, can be as much as $1,000 from authorized dealers, but the Sony is the best under $3,000 on the market.

D

davyb

Enthusiast
I get it, the sony is indeed better than the panny.

Panasonic is a better pick if you would want the motorized zoom.
But image quality will always go to the sony's.
It is indeed priced the same, but still not sure if im willing to spend that extra money for the better image quality.

Shame I cant get a side by side, but I will have to make a decision.
I will wait till im in the house and hope for the prices to drop in december.

Maybe the difference will not be as big then. Keeping my eyes open for secondhand PJ's but no luck yet.

Once I have my PJ I can start trying out the different sizes and my seating position.
Then the build can start. I already have some nice building instructions on the screenwall and panels I will be installing around my room. Going to read up on bass traps and make my final plans when I have decided if I want to make those too.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis