small footprint subs ~$1k

D

dkordonowy

Audioholic Intern
Sheep said:
I think a couple STF-1s would be pretty sweet.

SheepStar
Would one choose two subs for size constraints or are there other benefits. I doubt I can hear stereophonic low frequencies so would I get more 'bang for the buck' if I bought 2 $500 subwoofers versus 1 $1000 subwoofer (supposing that I chose the best $500 and $1000 subwoofers based on the same criterion)?

JeffD2.

JeffD2.

Audioholic
Just saw this on AVS and the SVS site-

The long awaited SB12-Plus is coming to pre-orders soon. Small, affordable and with performance that will (shocker) set a new standard in price/performance in the micro-class of subwoofers, it's probably the most anticipated new SVS product in years. A mere 14" sealed cube with a slick custom grill and simple, elegant styling, it will offer virtually every control and hookup option we've crammed into a sub, and then some. While still eschewing those gimmicky features in search of a problem, the SB12-Plus packs depth and linearity you formerly couldn't find unless spending far more. Coming in two kinds of black and three wood finishes, this over-achiever will range from $700 to $800. If you need small, but always craved the superlative music and movie performance of a real subwoofer (truth be told, few in the micro-class really rise to the definition) ... help is arriving in the form of the first really compact SVS sub. Pre-orders planned for July, with shipping expected in late August or early September. Like the PB12-NSD, this new SVS sub will also be available to our overseas customers.

Announced this past Saturday-
Actual page- http://www.svsound.com/news-news.cfm

D

dkordonowy

Audioholic Intern
JeffD2. said:
Just saw this on AVS and the SVS site-

The long awaited SB12-Plus is coming to pre-orders soon. Small, affordable and with performance that will (shocker) set a new standard in price/performance in the micro-class of subwoofers, it's probably the most anticipated new SVS product in years. A mere 14" sealed cube with a slick custom grill and simple, elegant styling, it will offer virtually every control and hookup option we've crammed into a sub, and then some. While still eschewing those gimmicky features in search of a problem, the SB12-Plus packs depth and linearity you formerly couldn't find unless spending far more. Coming in two kinds of black and three wood finishes, this over-achiever will range from $700 to $800. If you need small, but always craved the superlative music and movie performance of a real subwoofer (truth be told, few in the micro-class really rise to the definition) ... help is arriving in the form of the first really compact SVS sub. Pre-orders planned for July, with shipping expected in late August or early September. Like the PB12-NSD, this new SVS sub will also be available to our overseas customers.

Announced this past Saturday-
Actual page- http://www.svsound.com/news-news.cfm
Hah! I just saw that too. I liken it to the new Force and am anxious to hear how it does once it is out. The problem is waiting for it to start shipping...

I am leaning toward a sealed design because I 'hear' (haha) it's easier to design a sealed sub that is small and musical (but lacking in low freq and SPL) than it is to design a ported sub that accomplishes that. I'm going to listen to some ML and Velo's this weekend.

p.s. it is hard to pass the free shipping on the new force though...

B

Bevan

Audioholic
dkordonowy, let us know how it goes. i'm also looking at the ML dynamo/grotto or velodyne spl-800 or rel stampede.

i'm wondering if 2x dynamo would be better than 1x grotto.(music is my interest).

please report back

cheers

b.

D

dkordonowy

Audioholic Intern
Mike Dzurko said:
Thanks RJ, and she ain't just pretty :)
Hi Mike,

Are there pics of the Force XL in satin black? (I know it's no cherry or piano but I gotta match my mains)

Also, any chance that free shipping will occur again? :)

Tomorrow

Tomorrow

Audioholic Ninja
dkordonowy said:
Hi Mike,

LOL, nothing like a little pressure on the manufacturer.......;)

D

dkordonowy

Audioholic Intern
rjbudz said:
LOL, nothing like a little pressure on the manufacturer.......;)
It's my right as an American to demand free stuff :cool:

M

Mike Dzurko

Audioholic Intern
dkordonowy said:
Hi Mike,

Are there pics of the Force XL in satin black? (I know it's no cherry or piano but I gotta match my mains)

We don't yet have pics in satin black, the best way I can describe is very smooth, black, not shinny :) It's a great stealth finish.

The FREE S/H officially expired about 8hours ago. However, I'll personally extend it to those on this forum through midnight on Monday the 19th. Use coupon code #MDFXL when ordering. Also to note, the current price is an introductory price. This price will be going up within weeks by probably $50 . . . so ordering now saves you $100. Also to note, the presale was VERY successful and we've got a very large pile of backorders that will take at least a couple of weeks to fill. As always, we don't charge CC until ready to ship.

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
Mike Dzurko said:
We don't yet have pics in satin black, the best way I can describe is very smooth, black, not shinny :) It's a great stealth finish.

The FREE S/H officially expired about 8hours ago. However, I'll personally extend it to those on this forum through midnight on Monday the 19th. Use coupon code #MDFXL when ordering. Also to note, the current price is an introductory price. This price will be going up within weeks by probably $50 . . . so ordering now saves you $100. Also to note, the presale was VERY successful and we've got a very large pile of backorders that will take at least a couple of weeks to fill. As always, we don't charge CC until ready to ship.
Mike,

That's mighty generous of you. You should post in the "deals" section. I don't think enough of our members are familiar with your products yet, but I've read very good reviews.

Is this the satin look you are talking about?

PS - Mike, would you happen to have a shot of the driver itself of the Titan XL? I know it's a monster.

http://www.audioc.com/products1/images/xl_finish/xlsatin.jpg

M

Mike Dzurko

Audioholic Intern
Buckeyefan 1 said:
Mike,

That's mighty generous of you. You should post in the "deals" section. I don't think enough of our members are familiar with your products yet, but I've read very good reviews.

Is this the satin look you are talking about?

PS - Mike, would you happen to have a shot of the driver itself of the Titan XL? I know it's a monster.

http://www.audioc.com/products1/images/xl_finish/xlsatin.jpg
Thanks, one of these days I'll have to check out the "deals" section. Probably too late for this one as it will be over in a couple of days and I'm running behind already.
Yes, that is the black satin finish . . . forgot about that link.
I don't have a pic handy of the SV12 driver used in the Titan XL, will try to remember to shap a shot one of these days. Feel free to email / remind me if I forget.

D

dkordonowy

Audioholic Intern
Bevan said:
dkordonowy, let us know how it goes. i'm also looking at the ML dynamo/grotto or velodyne spl-800 or rel stampede.

i'm wondering if 2x dynamo would be better than 1x grotto.(music is my interest).

please report back

cheers

b.
Hey all, just a quick followup. I listened to the dynamo and grotto at tweeter. Not the best listening setup they had (the dynamo was set to much louder than the grotto) but even after toning it down it was obvious that the grotto sounded *much* cleaner than the dynamo. Actually, I was suprised at how bad the dynamo sounded. It could have been just the setup, but I moved on.

Next I went and auditioned a REL Quake, which I listened to at a great shop which sells Thiels so I could see how it blended with my mains. Of course telling the store owner I had just come from auditioning some martin logans I got the usual reply ("they don't even know how to make speakers yet"). However, I must say that the Quake was so small and did such a great job, blending in perfectly with the mains and not once faultering. The thing is tiny! Definetely got the most "wife" votes (I think she gets more votes than I do), and the sound was even "tighter" at louder volumes than the Grotto. Keep in mind though, the room was well acoustically treated.

So now I'm back home, poring over the differences between the Force and Quake. That ACI seems to see REL as their direct competitor, based on the comparison charts makes me think that they will sound similar in person. That the specs on the Force are so much more impressive than the specs on the Quake make me think the Force is better on paper. And that I liked the Quake so much makes me think I'll like the Force too.

I guess in conclusion I am going to try the Force. If it isn't what I like, I'll bring a REL Quake home and do a direct comparison.

NB: I did all listening to music only, as movies aren't as important to me.

NB2: Bevan, I'd definetely go single dynamo but go listen to a Quake too, because it's better and smaller as far as I can tell.

B

brendy

Audioholic
If you can wait a litle bit check out the new sealed sub from SVS.About 14" square and $700 -$800.It is already on their website.

Tomorrow

Tomorrow

Audioholic Ninja
brendy said:
If you can wait a litle bit check out the new sealed sub from SVS.About 14" square and $700 -$800.It is already on their website.
Would you please provide a link. I could not find it on their website. Thanks.

C

cyberbri

Banned
http://www.svsound.com/news-news.cfm -- 3rd paragraph

No "Ginsu" knives ... but wait... there is more: The long awaited SB12-Plus is coming to pre-orders soon. Small, affordable and with performance that will (shocker) set a new standard in price/performance in the micro-class of subwoofers, it's probably the most anticipated new SVS product in years. A mere 14" sealed cube with a slick custom grill and simple, elegant styling, it will offer virtually every control and hookup option we've crammed into a sub, and then some. While still eschewing those gimmicky features in search of a problem, the SB12-Plus packs depth and linearity you formerly couldn't find unless spending far more. Coming in two kinds of black and three wood finishes, this over-achiever will range from $700 to $800. If you need small, but always craved the superlative music and movie performance of a real subwoofer (truth be told, few in the micro-class really rise to the definition) ... help is arriving in the form of the first really compact SVS sub. Pre-orders planned for July, with shipping expected in late August or early September. Like the PB12-NSD, this new SVS sub will also be available to our overseas customers.

B

Bevan

Audioholic
thanks for that.

i'm a bit surprised by your findings. did you have to crank it up a bit before the differences between the dynamo and grotto became apparent?

cheers

b

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis