Small Bookshelf Speakers ~300

C

charger5674

Junior Audioholic
Hi, I'm new to the a/v world and need some help. I have been lurking for about a week on avs, audioholics and hometheaterforum. During that time I researched some bookshelf speakers and am having a hard time deciding. My budget is around 300 pr (~700 for 5.0, will go B stock) and I would like to mount them to the ceiling or wall. My preferences are about 95% movies/5% music. My room size is 16x18x12. I already have a klipsch rw-12d and denon avr 1713. Also, my preferred size would be less than 12x9x9.

My researched speakers are:

1) Ascend HTM 200SE's
2) Cambridge S30 (no holes in back for mounting)
3) PSB Image B4
4) Energy CB-10's
5) Klipsch RB-41 II (Interested in the horn)
6) NHT Absolute Zero/Sub zero combo (try to find them for around 300 pr, most expensive)

If there are others, it would be appreciated if mentioned.

PS I have uploaded the same topic on Audioholics, AVS and Home Theater Forums. Just like a doctor's diagnosis, I want to see different opinions. Thanks!

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I have heard a lot of good things about the Cambridge, I guess that would be my first choice in that bunch. If you are seated a good distance away from the speakers, the Klipsch might be better, but I think if the listening position is less than, say 12 or 13 ft away from the speakers, I would choose the s30.

M

MidnightSensi2

Audioholic Chief
Tricky, because budgets are budgets, but, if you save up and get great speakers, they last you a really long time and end up saving you money (trying a bunch of budget ones ends up costing more than just buying the right one once)..

That said...

I haven't heard the PSBs, Cambridge or Ascends ... I strangely have heard 4-6 (that's rare, usually what people list I might have heard one...so much out there now).

I'd go with the Klipsch. I was pleasantly surprised by the RB-41 II's sound.

Some reasons for my choice:
1. Simply a great value
2. Easy enough load to drive for a budget receiver
3. Pretty good sensitivity
4. Good efficiency
5. As far as the horn loading, it's something I really think they have figured out how to do well, I didn't find them to have bad colorations.

Also, can get them on Amazon, so easy to return if you don't like them.

IMPORTANT (Read whole thing, will save you money and aid sound!):
They require a subwoofer, and I'd recommend using restraint on the subwoofer level. The speakers are still small, and if you overpower them with bass you'll lose the midrange "punch" so important to action movies. This is going to be a deficiency with all these speakers, but the important thing to remember is that adding more subbass is usually what people do to cure a lower midrange deficiency.. which ends up making things worse. Most people do like their subwoofers hot (some very hot), but I'd recommend not going beyond +3dB hot and instead turning up the volume. If you have any further questions feel free to ask (or even PM). :)

Cheers

C

charger5674

Junior Audioholic
the Klipsch might be better, but I think if the listening position is less than, say 12 or 13 ft away from the speakers, I would choose the s30.
I will be about 15 feet away

They require a subwoofer, and I'd recommend using restraint on the subwoofer level.
I already have the Klipsch RW-12D subwoofer

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
first of all - no "hole" aka rear port is not a "feature" for you, but a requirement if you intend to wall mount them.
If you see speaker like PSB B4 which has no front port, but it has a "bass-reflex" design = means it has a rear port and it will not be suitable for you
You will need to look for front ported or sealed speakers like HTM-200 SE (which by the way excellent speaker)

C

charger5674

Junior Audioholic
BIC Formula FH-65B 6-1/2" 2-Way Bookshelf Speaker 175 Watts 303-434
I've seen those, but they are 17" tall!

but it has a "bass-reflex" design = means it has a rear port and it will not be suitable for you
Are there any others beside the Ascends that fit that criteria? Front or sealed, size and price?

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Are there any others beside the Ascends that fit that criteria? Front or sealed, size and price?
NHT Absolute-Zero-Black are. Acoustic suspension is another word for sealed design. another great speaker

C

charger5674

Junior Audioholic
NHT Absolute-Zero-Black are. Acoustic suspension is another word for sealed design. another great speake
I have the NHT's up top. I was going to pair them with the sub zeros for cost factor since they are at the top of my limit. How does the Absolute/sub zeros compare to 5 ascend's?

Also, how does the Def Tech Pro 800 or 1000's compare to the NHT's and Ascend's?

C

charger5674

Junior Audioholic
I was also wondering if the ceiling mounted speakers like these, leave enough room for the rear port.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Since you are new to AV, I will recommend that you not wall mount them. Seems convenient, but it will compromise the sound no matter which ones you go with. Though it is an additional expense, I'd stand mount or find something inexpensive to use as a stand to get the speakers away from the wall. That will also alleviate the rear ported aspect.

I haven't heard the HTM-200s, but I've heard the CBM-170SEs, and I'd say the Ascends are quite neutral and very good sounding with most material - movies or music. The NHTs are a bit on the brighter side of that, but sound very good with music. I am not a fan of the Def Tech ProMonitors.

Yes, they get mentioned almost too often, but for good reason; I'd also go listen to the Pioneer BS22-LR if you have a Best Buy near. On a budget, these really are a solid speaker.

C

charger5674

Junior Audioholic
Wife won't allow any type of stand or towers.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

T

twoeyedbob

Audioholic
I was also wondering if the ceiling mounted speakers like these, leave enough room for the rear port.

Look's like a bose to me.....
Sorry you'll have to leave now ....close the door on the way out
;-)

Sent from my HTC Vision using Tapatalk 2

C

charger5674

Junior Audioholic
Haha I was just talking about the mount

V

VicTorious1

Audioholic Intern
You might want to also add the EMP Tek E41 to your list. I'm currently using these in my office and they sound pretty nice. They are neutral speakers with a pretty flat frequency response.

EMP Tek E41 Bookshelf Speaker

C

charger5674

Junior Audioholic
Too big at 10.5 d

C

charger5674

Junior Audioholic
I like those alot! I actually forgot about those. So compared to the Ascend HTM 200SE's, which one is preferable?

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
What speakers have you heard that you might be able to compare to, in terms of the sort of sound you like? I think there are only two users here who actually own AudioEngine speakers and both of them like them. The HTM-200s are slightly more sensitive, but the P4s list lower extension; so it is going to come down to personal preference sound wise.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis