Sin city is absolutely amazing.

WmAx

WmAx

Audioholic Samurai
Privateer said:
So you are going to pre judge a movie that you have not seen? It is not black and white but since you pre judge everything I doubt you have read any of frank millers works.
Yes, I am going to pre-judge. It's a preference, a pet peeve if you will. I don't really enjoy B&W feature length films, even if certain things are colored for emphasis. That's my preference. Based on the previews I have seen, and the feedback I've heard so far, it's a B&W film with spots of color thrown in for effect. Maybe I'll be able to better tolerate monochrome motion pictures in the future -- if/when that day comes, I'll give it a go. :)

-Chris

supervij

supervij

Audioholic General
I have to admit, I'm sometimes sort of the same way. B&W just isn't very visually interesting to me. But I have tried certain B&W movies anyway. I finally got around to watching To Kill a Mockingbird a few weeks ago, and thought it was wonderful.

Just out of curiousity, WmAx, have you seen Pleasantville? Some of it is colour, and some of it is B&W. And like Sin City, the colouring (or lack thereof) has a purpose. A very interesting concept for a movie, I must say, and very entertaining, if sometimes slow-moving.

Why don't you read one of Frank Miller's Sin City books? Just to get a sense of what it's all about. They're a terrific read. And a quick read -- you won't have to invest a lot of time in them. True, the books are in B&W as well, with odd splashes of colour, but maybe (like me) you'll enjoy the story and the crazy characters so much you'll forget it's mostly B&W. I generally don't like B&W comics (or movies), but I thoroughly enjoyed the Sin City books (and the movie).

And hey, if you don't want to watch something, don't. Just because others are saying how mega the movie is, the bottom line is that it's not something in which you're interested. No biggie. :)

cheers,
supervij

WmAx

WmAx

Audioholic Samurai
supervij said:
Just out of curiousity, WmAx, have you seen Pleasantville? Some of it is colour, and some of it is B&W. And like Sin City, the colouring (or lack thereof) has a purpose. A very interesting concept for a movie, I must say, and very entertaining, if sometimes slow-moving.
Yes, I saw this movie. I despise this movie. The B&W part pushed me over the edge.... :D

-Chris

P

Privateer

Full Audioholic
WmAx, so you think they should have changed the movie from what the comic book was? The black and white is there to add effect and if the movie was done in color I think it would have had a negative effect. I know you are deaf so you think your eyes would have a small advantage over the average person.

WmAx

WmAx

Audioholic Samurai
Privateer said:
WmAx, so you think they should have changed the movie from what the comic book was? The black and white is there to add effect and if the movie was done in color I think it would have had a negative effect. I know you are deaf so you think your eyes would have a small advantage over the average person.
This is purely about my preference(s). Suggest that I am visually or audibly impaired if you like... it won't change my personal preference(s). :rolleyes:

-Chris

P

Privateer

Full Audioholic
This is purely about my preference(s). Suggest that I am visually or audibly impaired if you like... it won't change my personal preference(s).
People like you are the reason smokey and the bandit did so well. So by your logic if actor X is in a bad film and then actor X stars in a new film am I to assume that this film will be bad as well? At least watch the movie before you pre judge it.

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
deep breathe

Ok, everyone calm down. you like it or you don't, lets just leave it at that.

sheep

Tomorrow

Tomorrow

Audioholic Ninja
Privateer said:
Is it insecurity, immaturity, or what that causes some people to stray from issues, abandon dialogue, and feel the need to toss around personal insults?

B

bmac

Audioholic
I Loved It!!!

Marv was great! I love the noir feel. B&W was a great effect, and the sound is top notch. :)

P

Privateer

Full Audioholic
Is it insecurity, immaturity, or what that causes some people to stray from issues, abandon dialogue, and feel the need to toss around personal insults?
Have you ever had the chance to argue with WmAx? If not then you do not understand.

AverageJoe

AverageJoe

Full Audioholic
Privateer said:
Have you ever had the chance to argue with WmAx? If not then you do not understand.
I don't really understand what WmAx said that required an "argument". He indicated the type of movie he prefered (or prefered to avoid). I can appreciate that. Anyone who values his own time must "pre-judge" movies to a certain extent. Why waste that valuable time watching a film that is of no interest to you? For me, any film with Woody Allen directing, acting, talking, or existing is not worth the effort to see. I may miss a good movie with that prejudice, but I've also missed Woody Allen :) .
You seem to think that anyone with a different taste in films has slighted you personally. Just because Gellor didn't like Sin City, and WmAx prefers not to see it, was no reason for your personal attacks.
I'm sure my opinion (and that's all it really is) is worth another verbal lashing.

Come forth varlet - and let's do battle!

P

Privateer

Full Audioholic
Then why did he even post in this thread? I have a problem when someone has a negative comment about a movie that they have not watched. If you do not want to watch a movie fine but do not comment on it.

sts9fan

sts9fan

Banned
Personally I would never have thought it possible to make such a violent snorefest. I really thought it was boring as hell! That being said I loved the comics as a kid but ah well.

I will say the that art dirction and cinamatography are incredible. I loved how this movie looks. I would not call it just B&W not just because of the color splashes. Its much more stylized then that with some of the blood being white and whatnot. That being said I will not defend it and who gives a F@#k if someones sees it or not?

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I watched it this weekend. I found it to be very entertaining. Far too dialogue driven IMO, for what it was trying to achieve. If I wanted to know every thought the characters have, I would READ the graphic novel. Stylistically, it was very impressive. Much closer to the comic book look and feel than say, D1ckTracy. Sound was respectable and the story was not terrible - standard fare for what it was. I wouldn't run out and buy it, but it was worth a rent and I wouldn't have felt ripped off if I had seen it in the theater.

WmAx

WmAx

Audioholic Samurai
Privateer said:
Then why did he even post in this thread? I have a problem when someone has a negative comment about a movie that they have not watched. If you do not want to watch a movie fine but do not comment on it.
I asked a question about the movie. After this question was sufficiently answered, I let it be known why I asked and stated the result the answer would have. I did not 'trash' said movie or even imply that anyone else should have the same preference as me. Unlike you, I did not direct any insults or make any personal attacks.

I won't respond to you within this thread again.

-Chris

Privateer said:
Stop picking fights and making everything personal and about you. Lose the chip on your shoulder and you'll likely have more success in these forums. Please feel free to respond and/or argue with me if you want to get banned again.

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
Jerry Jerry Jerry Jerry..... sorry, just trying to lighten the mood.

sheep

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis