Simple questions about Ohms: Receiver/Speaker Set-Up

T

titzlaroo

Audioholic Intern
Will the speaker sound be compromised, or is it even possible to hook-up a 4 ohm speaker to a receiver output of 8 ohms?

and

Is it possible to send 4 ohms to front speakers and 8 ohms to the sub and/or surrounds with a normal AV Receiver?

Thanks

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
titzlaroo said:
Will the speaker sound be compromised, or is it even possible to hook-up a 4 ohm speaker to a receiver output of 8 ohms?
and
Is it possible to send 4 ohms to front speakers and 8 ohms to the sub and/or surrounds with a normal AV Receiver? Thanks

Well, yes or maybe:D
You can hook up an 4 Ohm speaker to that receiver but, depending on its capability, the receiver may not be able to drive it very loud, or maybe not even at a good comfortable level. All depends on the receiver.

Yes, you can hook up an 8 ohm rear and 4 ohm mains with the same qualification.
Most/many subs are powered, have their own built in amps, so that would not enter the capability issue above.

T

titzlaroo

Audioholic Intern
Thanks for the reply. So, what should I look for then to make sure my reciever will have enough "juice" for my speakers?

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

titzlaroo said:
Thanks for the reply. So, what should I look for then to make sure my reciever will have enough "juice" for my speakers?
You should select your speakers first, the one that will make you satisfied. Then you check its impedance and sensitivity, how many dB spl at 1 meter and 2.83V input. That will give you an idea. Also, room size, listening level has a bearing on it.

T

titzlaroo

Audioholic Intern
mtrycrafts said:
Then you check its impedance and sensitivity, how many dB spl at 1 meter and 2.83V input.
Can you give me an idea of what numbers to look for. If you give me an example of what you're talking about, I'll have some sort of bench mark to go from.

thanks again for the help

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

titzlaroo said:
Can you give me an idea of what numbers to look for. If you give me an example of what you're talking about, I'll have some sort of bench mark to go from.

thanks again for the help

OK. Try to look for 8 ohm speakers, an easy load for most of the amps.
Sensitivity in room, so specified, should be over 90dB spl. If not specified as in room value, the numbers are for anechoic chamber response and you need to add 4 dB spl to them for in room values.

T

titzlaroo

Audioholic Intern
Maybe I'm wording my questions wrong...how about this:

If I was originally going to get a speaker rated to 200w at 8ohms, and was going to power it with a receiver giving a solid 120w/ch, could I then assume that the same receiver could do the same job for a 400w speaker at 4ohms since the receiver is rated at 240w/ch at 4ohms.

All else being equal of course.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

titzlaroo said:
Maybe I'm wording my questions wrong...how about this:

If I was originally going to get a speaker rated to 200w at 8ohms, and was going to power it with a receiver giving a solid 120w/ch, could I then assume that the same receiver could do the same job for a 400w speaker at 4ohms since the receiver is rated at 240w/ch at 4ohms.

All else being equal of course.

If you know that the receiver is rated 240 watts into 4 ohms, then yes. I am not aware of such a receiver though.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis