Simple Bedroom 2 channel stup...

J

JDeschain

Audiophyte
I currently have a 37" 1080P LG and my Xbox360 hooked up in my room. I'm looking to add a simple 2 channel setup to give it a bit more depth. I was debating picking up a set of powered speakers, Mainly the Audioengine A5's as I've read wonderful things, but wanted to get some other opinions. I'd say my total budget for the system will be $600 for the speakers and receiver (I'm totally useless when it comes to Receivers).

I will be gaming, watching the odd movie, and listening to music (Electronic mainly). Just looking for some input and suggestion as I really have no idea of where to start.

ski2xblack

ski2xblack

Audioholic Field Marshall
OK, I have some karma to make up, so here goes...

It depends on how extensive you want to get. If you can live without radio capabilities, I just saw a sweet mini two channel speaker/integrated combo from av123.com for $299.

http://av123.com/component/page,shop.product_details/category_id,51/flypage,shop.flypage/product_id,393/option,com_virtuemart/Itemid,37/vmcchk,1/Itemid,37/

If you want radio you'll need a receiver, but since this is for a secondary system (and given your modest budget) you don't need much. Yamaha's entry level 2 channel receiver (not sure what current model is, but the evolution of the rx396) would suffice, with the remainder committed to speakers. There are numerous options from other brands as well. You should be able to pick up a modest, reasonable receiver for $200 or less w/ judicious shopping.

As a general rule, you should try to personally audition the speakers. However, given your budget constraints, you may want to consider the internet direct route. In general, you get much more (particularly cosmetically...real wood veneers, superior build quality) for your buck within the low-price strata via internet companies. Check out Aperion, av123, ascend, etc. for great value, great looking, and decent performing small speakers. Alternately, I've seen great deals on NHT's, KEF's, and others at local stores.

Last edited:
ski2xblack

ski2xblack

Audioholic Field Marshall
The powered speakers are an excellent option for price/performance ratio, I'm just not that familiar with what's currently out there. I used to own some powered M&K's which kicked ***...wish I still had em.

abefroeman

abefroeman

Audioholic
If you are set on powered speakers there are a number of options for not using any receiver:
Closely inspect your TV, I have seen some LCDs with stereo pre-outs. If you bought powered speakers, you could just hook them directly to the TV.
Alternatively, you can find a analog to digital converter and use that to feed some powered speakers.

XEagleDriver

XEagleDriver

Audioholic Chief
Powered Speaker Recommendation

. . . looking to add a simple 2 channel setup to give it a bit more depth. I was debating picking up a set of powered speakers, . . . my total budget for the system will be $600 for the speakers and receiver (I'm totally useless when it comes to Receivers).

I will be gaming, watching the odd movie, and listening to music (Electronic mainly). Just looking for some input and suggestion as I really have no idea of where to start.
For an inexpensive and simple solution with good sound consider powered speakers like:

Avid M-Audio Studiophile AV 40 Reference Speaker System, available (among other places) at Buy.com for about $135 a pair.

http://www.buy.com/prod/avid-m-audio-studiophile-av-40-reference-speaker-system-2-0-channel/q/loc/101/205737262.html

I use a pair of these for a similar purpose in a bedroom and they work real well. Do verify your LCD has variable outputs (vs. fixed) otherwise you have to adjust the volume on the speakers, instead of the LCD remote--not fun.

The extra $465 could buy many Xbox games, movies, and music albums :D

If you anticipate "growing" the system with more input devices than the TV can handle, or adding speakers beyond two, then I would recommend going the receiver/speaker route--otherwise powered speakers should achieve what you described.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis