Siming 265 (China) chasing the Dayton

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Found these on Amazon and they are a 2-way sealed 6-1/2" like the Dayton. They have the same 3 numeric numbers as Dayton, however in a different order. They are about the same size and are also lightweight -- except these look to be light MDF and not cheap chip board. The front baffle is about 1/2 inch and the top, sides, back and bottom are 3/8 inch. The drivers are 4 ohm and there is a 6.8 uf high pass filter glued to the back of the tweeter. The woofer looks to be like the Dayton woofer with a small type magnet. The Siming tweeter is 5/8 inch black poly carbonate -- the Dayton is also 5/8" with a metal colored look on the front. The cabinet is black vinyl wrap and they do have a nice clean look. Now, the main difference from Dayton is that the Siming comes with magnetic grills and banana plug terminal cups -- the Dayton is push on grill and cheap pin connector terminal cups. The Siming also came with pre-installed bumper feet. The Siming does have poly fill inside - however it is not as much as it seems to be.

When I first hooked them up they were not really bad, one has to remember that they were not made with hard nose audiophile mentality in mind. However, the sound was slightly thin, hollow, edgy, forward and slightly sharp -- the bass that is there is decent, however it starts to roll-off early. The cabinet was lively sounding due to the thin walls and not much stuffing. So I pulled out the stuffing -- you have to unscrew the woofer and unscrew the terminal cup. Then reach inside the cabinet and grab the magnet on the woofer and push it out. The woofer is a tight fit which is good since it is sealed and you want no air leaks. Several people have complained of air leaks in the Dayton. I then stuffed 2 inch fiberglass in the speakers and closed them back up. This time they sounded better as this tamed down the resonance. They were not as hollow and thin sounding. And what bass they do have was tight and musical sounding. For one on a tight budget these are OK for music, and are better than them small squeaky, squawky, spitty, and shouty sat speakers. And they do have some authority and dynamics for Home Theater.

All in all, they are good for a kids room, student on a tight budget in a dorm, surrounds in home theater, and casual music listen. They are better than the latest Insignia speakers that have been discontinued and the Sound Appeal speakers. They do not run me out of a room. And just like Dayton they do have a 4-1/2 inch, 2-way speaker. Good prices on Amazon.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
So the "crossover" is just one cap glued to the tweeter?

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
So the "crossover" is just one cap glued to the tweeter?
Just a high pass filter, the woofer does play too high -- I wish they would at least put a coil on the woofer, I would give up the magnetic grills for that. They can be some toy speakers for one who would like to practice DIY.

I really believe the Dayton speakers are assembled at the same place.

Last edited:
TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Just a high pass filter, the woofer does play too high -- I wish they would at least put a coil on the woofer, I would give up the magnetic grills for that. They can be some toy speakers for one would like to practice DIY.

I really believe the Dayton speakers are assembled at the same place.
So just more Far Eastern junk shipped in by the boat load. No wonder they sound thin. There is no BSC and the woofer driven to hard break up mode territory. Silence would be golden compared to those!

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
"Professionally designed" LMAO.
If someone did it while at work, technically that makes that person is a "professional"
Professional, unfortunately, is not always the synonym for highly qualified, only that he/she got paid for it

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis