Side speaker shelving

S

Senact

Audioholic Intern
Quick question... If you have a shelf that is longer (wider) then the dipole speaker, would this compromise your output? There will be about 4 inches of shelf on both sides of the speaker. Thanks!

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
Quick question... If you have a shelf that is longer (wider) then the dipole speaker, would this compromise your output? There will be about 4 inches of shelf on both sides of the speaker. Thanks!
You should use a wall mount if you use. If you need to put it on a bookshelf you'll want a monopole. Speaker mounts aren't that expensive if you want to go that route.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Nearly all bi/dipoles have an integrated mounting system due to the fact that they are almost expected to be mounted on the wall, so I am not sure why you would use a shelf with them?

S

Senact

Audioholic Intern
You should use a wall mount if you use. If you need to put it on a bookshelf you'll want a monopole. Speaker mounts aren't that expensive if you want to go that route.
Well, the way I have it now is because the stud spacing in the room is so far apart, I screwed a 3 foot trim board to the wall from stud to stud and then put a couple screws into that to hold the speaker up, but I have a friend who builds cabinets and was going to make me some shelves which would look a bit nicer. I don't want to return the speakers, so I should either purchase a wall mount or leave them as is? When I modify the room, I will clean all up all these cosmetic issues

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
Well, the way I have it now is because the stud spacing in the room is so far apart, I screwed a 3 foot trim board to the wall from stud to stud and then put a couple screws into that to hold the speaker up, but I have a friend who builds cabinets and was going to make me some shelves which would look a bit nicer. I don't want to return the speakers, so I should either purchase a wall mount or leave them as is? When I modify the room, I will clean all up all these cosmetic issues
You could probably mount it with toggles in the dry wall if you need to. Toggles are very strong and I assume it's a light speaker. I hang my screen with ceiling toggles.

http://www.toggler.com/products/snaptoggle/overview.php

is what you are looking for

S

Senact

Audioholic Intern
Ah perfect, I had a track light installed with those things in the ceiling, should have thought of that. The speaker is 16lb so these will do the trick.
Thanks!

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I always use toggles for stuff like this too, just because they are going to hold a lot better than the typical plastic expanding wall insert. 16lbs should not be a problem for one of the right size IMO.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis